Fitness Center Personal Trainer

HAL4NOW

Has anyone used the 'Personal Trainer' in the Fitness Centers on HAL? We have an 18 day circle Hawaii cruise booked and don't usually use the fitness center. With 10 sea days it might be a good time to try. Are the personal trainers helpful? 

We use the gym but never paid for the personal trainers.  They are helpful if we have questions about the equipment and if I am in there and a class is going on, they are always very engaged w/the class. 

Again, never used them for "personal training".

I have been in their classes and have seen them working with people on the gym floor.

I think you have an excellent idea. I have done the RT on Celebrity and will do a one way on Celebrity this fall. We are looking at the RT on Eurodam for 2020.

Anyway, yes...the sea days...it is a lot of sea days.

So our experience on Oosterdam this year was that the trainers were above average. It all depends on who is working. Also, our opinion is HALs trainers are more skilled (and less sales oriented) than Celebrity.

I think its a great idea. Years ago I used the occasion of our first ever cruise to quit smoking cold turkey. It worked!

Good luck!

Thank you, Jammu2 and FlaMariner, for your responses.

On other cruises I have just walked a lot, mostly on the promenade deck. I walk at least 10,000 steps each day and often closer to 20,000 steps. While on land most of that walking is in the forest on trails. 

I really enjoy the food on HAL ships and exercising is essential. On our last cruise (20 days) I only gained four pounds and considered that a victory.

Have you ever used a personal trainer in a gym at home? I think that PT's can help you figure out an exercise routine that is going to be helpful for you to achieve specific goals and it is certainly helpful if you're working on new exercise to ensure that you've got the correct form. I don't know that engaging a PT for 10 sea days of exercise is going to be any better than just going to the gym and doing 45 minutes on a treadmill. If your primary goal is to maintain your weight - eat like you do at home (or at a minimum don't binge on bread, alcohol and desserts). Of course not binge eating on a cruise could be problematic. This coming cruise will be my first since altering my diet and exercise following my heart stent in December. I've dropped 35 pounds and I'm not anxious to gain any of that back on this cruise. I worked with a personal trainer from late March until early June and doing so helped me develop a strength training routine that I can maintain on my own. PT's are usually not cheap - I've never looked into what they might cost on a cruise. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by grsnovi

My DH has never used a personal trainer on any of our cruises.  He does go to the gym a lot.  Uses the treadmills, lift weights and rides the bikes.

However, he is not happy with the gym's new hours.  He always was at the gym by 6 AM so that we could have breakfast at 7:30 or 8 -- just like we do at home.  He takes many medications and needs to get a round of them in at breakfast.  Now the gyms don't open until 7.

Thank you, Krazy Kruisers, for the up-to-date information.  I'm really disappointed to learn that the gyms don't open until 7:00 AM.  This change in opening time is going to have a negative impact on my personal schedule.  Like your husband, my daily schedule is dictated by medication times.  I guess that I will just have to use the promenade for my morning exercise and workouts.

21 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

Has anyone used the 'Personal Trainer' in the Fitness Centers on HAL? We have an 18 day circle Hawaii cruise booked and don't usually use the fitness center. With 10 sea days it might be a good time to try. Are the personal trainers helpful? 

Given how  many sea days and the length  of your  cruise, a personal trainer may be a good idea.  Do you have   a n established work out rroutine that you do on a regulaf basis?  Do you have a personal trainer at home?  some things you mgiht wish to consider while  you think about using one on the     ship

.image.png.01171ff15318e5c59fa70e229c67764d.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

4 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

My DH has never used a personal trainer on any of our cruises.  He does go to the gym a lot.  Uses the treadmills, lift weights and rides the bikes.

However, he is not happy with the gym's new hours.  He always was at the gym by 6 AM so that we could have breakfast at 7:30 or 8 -- just like we do at home.  He takes many medications and needs to get a round of them in at breakfast.  Now the gyms don't open until 7.

I used a trainer on the Noordam last December.  I specifically wanted help putting together a training program I could carry on with at home.  He was very helpful, and on the last day, he let me demonstrate all the exercises so I could remember them.  For what I wanted, it was a good value.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:25 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

I just got off the Maasdam 3 week Alaska cruise on July 9 and the gym on the ship opened every day at 6:00 AM.