Personal Item Weight Limit

erby2283

Can anyone confirm if Air Canada or Lufthansa have a wight limit for their personal item? I know they do for carry-on (17 lb) but what about your purse/backpack?

Just wondering bc I am also taking TAP in addition to the two above and I believe TAP's weight limit for a personal item is 4.4 lbs which means I would not be able to take a backpack as a personal item bc....come on...how can I keep a backpack under 4.4 lbs carrying all my travel day necessities (chargers, phone, ipad, kindle, passport/documents, etc.)? 

I just know that I need to pack according to the lowest standard of the carrier I am flying and if that's 4.4 lbs for a personal item.....sheesh, I need to be creative. 

46 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

I believe TAP's weight limit for a personal item is 4.4 lbs which means I would not be able to take a backpack as a personal item bc....come on...how can I keep a backpack under 4.4 lbs carrying all my travel day necessities (chargers, phone, ipad, kindle, passport/documents, etc.)?

You are proving that your backpack really isn't a "personal item".  You've made it into a second carry-on.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, iancal said:

Why not simply check their web site.  The info will be there

That’s where I got the info on the limit for TAP but didn’t see anything for AC or Lufthansa. Hence my question here. 

I love cruise critic. Full of people who offer unsolicited, unhelpful, opinionated advice instead of answering the question at hand or offering assistance that would actually be helpful. Gee, wonder why so many people have left these boards in droves over the years. 

Edited by erby2283

Total hand luggage weight for economy on TAP is 10kg, divided up into 2kg for personal item and 8kg for carry on. I travel on TAP regularly  (although not a frequent flyer) and the one and only time they actually weighed hand luggage was at Miami. They only weighed the carry on and not the small back pack I had as a personal item, which was almost certainly heavier than 2kg. Of course that doesn't constitute a guarantee you'll be ok on the day if you're over. 

I believe if you book one of the more expensive economy tiers or business class you get an extra allowance.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Can anyone confirm if Air Canada or Lufthansa have a wight limit for their personal item? I know they do for carry-on (17 lb) but what about your purse/backpack?

Just wondering bc I am also taking TAP in addition to the two above and I believe TAP's weight limit for a personal item is 4.4 lbs which means I would not be able to take a backpack as a personal item bc....come on...how can I keep a backpack under 4.4 lbs carrying all my travel day necessities (chargers, phone, ipad, kindle, passport/documents, etc.)? 

I just know that I need to pack according to the lowest standard of the carrier I am flying and if that's 4.4 lbs for a personal item.....sheesh, I need to be creative. 

I frequently fly Lufthansa and occasionally fly Air Canada. LIke you, I always carry a backpack for necessities & meds. My backpack and purse have never been weighed on either carrier. 

Can't help with TAP as I've no experience on the carrier. However, I have seen people in various airports removing items from their carry-on luggage to meet the weight requirements - they usually wear the removed items. Actually, a light-weight travel vest with lots of deep pockets might be a way to get around the weight limit on TAP - the airlines don't weigh you - they weigh your luggage. Your charger, ipad, ipod, iphone, etc. would all easily fit in a travel vest. 

7 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I frequently fly Lufthansa and occasionally fly Air Canada. LIke you, I always carry a backpack for necessities & meds. My backpack and purse have never been weighed on either carrier. 

Can't help with TAP as I've no experience on the carrier. However, I have seen people in various airports removing items from their carry-on luggage to meet the weight requirements - they usually wear the removed items. Actually, a light-weight travel vest with lots of deep pockets might be a way to get around the weight limit on TAP - the airlines don't weigh you - they weigh your luggage. Your charger, ipad, ipod, iphone, etc. would all easily fit in a travel vest. 

20 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Total hand luggage weight for economy on TAP is 10kg, divided up into 2kg for personal item and 8kg for carry on. I travel on TAP regularly  (although not a frequent flyer) and the one and only time they actually weighed hand luggage was at Miami. They only weighed the carry on and not the small back pack I had as a personal item, which was almost certainly heavier than 2kg. Of course that doesn't constitute a guarantee you'll be ok on the day if you're over. 

I believe if you book one of the more expensive economy tiers or business class you get an extra allowance.

Thanks everyone. I think I’ll probably end up having to take an extra checked bag (19 day trip) and If I do, then I think i’ll just take a backpack as a carry-on and fit my cross-body purse inside the backpack  Problem solved, right?

1 hour ago, erby2283 said:

Thanks everyone. I think I’ll probably end up having to take an extra checked bag (19 day trip) and If I do, then I think i’ll just take a backpack as a carry-on and fit my cross-body purse inside the backpack  Problem solved, right?

Agree. If you do go for that option, it's cheaper to add an extra bag ahead of time and that will leave you more personal space inside the aircraft meaning a more comfortable flight.

• Like 1

Flown AC frequently.  Never seen them weigh a person item.

Flown Lufthansa much less frequently.  Only time I saw them object to hand luggage was once in Venice.  Ladies  ahead of us tried to check in with three shopping bags of Murano glass products that appeared to be very loosely wrapped.  She was told no...not even one of them.  No wonder.  The dopey lady  told the Lufthansa agent that the person who sold her the glassware in Murana said that it would be OK because the glass was breakable.  Don't know what happened but the glass did not board our plane.    The things you see when you travel.  She would not have had a hope of getting it through security even if the Lufthansa agent had said yes.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

Amazing how so many people think that open-top paper shopping bags somehow don't count as part of their onboard carry-on allowance.

Often found on business class cabins to Asia - and of course, on almost every flight leaving Orlando.

• Like 1

The same day the TAP agent weighed our hand luggage at Miami, I saw a woman trying to access the security area with a personal item, a carry on and a laptop computer in a separate bag. The officer at the entrance was having none of it and made her put the laptop inside the carry on.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:27 PM, erby2283 said:

You've got a lot of duplication there.  Maybe take either the ipad or the kindle?  Or leave both at home and just use your phone?  Passports are two ounces max, and documents shouldn't be more than three... 

On 7/13/2019 at 11:23 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Amazing how so many people think that open-top paper shopping bags somehow don't count as part of their onboard carry-on allowance.

Often found on business class cabins to Asia - and of course, on almost every flight leaving Orlando.

Unless it's got a sandwich, bag of Skittles, bottle of water, and the latest issue of People, I agree, it counts.  And so do the gate agents.