Ovation, Alaska and Seasickness

Are people getting seasick on these Alaska cruises out of Seattle?

I have read a couple of references to seasickness on the sea day between Seattle and Alaska this summer.

Can anyone who has cruised on Ovation this summer provide their experiences/observations regarding sea sickness and how prevalent it was on their cruise?

15 minutes ago, scotmonson said:

Just off on 7/12.  Very minor ship movement going up or coming back.  Those posters who talked about the Ovation being unstable are not correct!

We were on the same cruise and it was the ship motion was minimal at best/worst.

On right now headed to Victoria.   Seas are 6-8ft according to storm surf-and you can feel the boat moving.  But honestly, the ship handles very well in these kinds of swells in my opinion. 

On the way up to Alaska, the seas were calm and didn’t feel anything.  It will just depend on your timing.   I read the same reviews about how the ovation sways etc.  I didn’t feel anything until today.   

Because of the unpredictability of the weather there, the range is wide. Sailing out of Seattle on Golden Princess, we had a relatively calm sail. Returning, we hit consistent 17 foot waves for about 12 to 14 hours. I don't get seasick, so I was out and about. It seemed like an 85% drop in people out there with me.

You will not know in advance.

17 hours ago, sausalitomack said:

Are people getting seasick on these Alaska cruises out of Seattle?

I have read a couple of references to seasickness on the sea day between Seattle and Alaska this summer.

Can anyone who has cruised on Ovation this summer provide their experiences/observations regarding sea sickness and how prevalent it was on their cruise?

We were on this route June 14-21. Compared with Caribbean cruises we’ve talken there was considerably more ship rocking.  It was especially noticeable in the ends of the ship and was present the entire time. The captain made an announcement on day 6 commenting on the movement, mentioning “strong currents” and indicating the ship stabilizers were “doing their job” and minimizing “80% of the movement”. 

Edited by El Abuelo

I've done two Alaska cruises (live in Seattle) and 13 Caribbean Cruises. Honestly it's all up to the weather and conditions. One Alaska Cruise there were 20' waves and the captain stayed inland. We had to skip Hubbard Glacier 😞 I've been in the Caribbean where it's been the same as well. Although in the Caribbean the cruise captains have more area to avoid bad weather. This past December we had to divert to Labadee instead of Cozumel due to a freak storm in the Gulf of Mexico. Alaska is stunning...worth it. Get a room mid ship, low, some sea sickness bands (my favorite) and the ship will have Dramamine patches if need be.

It's all up to Mother Nature. The ship design has nothing to do with it. We were on the Ovation June 21 sailing and the first night out of Seattle it was rocking quite a bit but no big deal. We had fantastic weather. No rain or fog the entire week. Our roughest cruise was on the Enchantment from Canaveral to Nassau. Group of 18 and all but 6 had to leave the dining room the first night. A steady flow of sick people and barf bags stuck to the walls in the hallway. Now that night was rough!