Riviera Mediterranean vs Insignia Bermdua

donkaufman

Think I know the answer, but......

Our only 2 Oceania cruises were on Riviera in the Med. We are going to Bermuda on Insignia in a few weeks. 

Can't say enough good things about our Oceania experiences so far, and have a Marina cruise booked in Sept Amsterdam-Lisbon. 

I assume the Insignia Bermuda cruise will be a completely different Oceania experience for us. More children,  more of a party atmosphere, perhaps less well traveled passengers??  

If so, that's fine. Just mentally preparing myself that this will be not the Oceania we have come to love. Refurbished ship and the usual fabulous food will be great.

dk

13 minutes ago, donkaufman said:

If so, that's fine. Just mentally preparing myself that this will be not the Oceania we have come to love.

Good job!😊

Having realistic expectations has its reward. It will still be Oceania overall but with a different vibe due to a smaller ship and all the other things you mentioned.

Enjoy.

45 minutes ago, donkaufman said:

Think I know the answer, but......

Our only 2 Oceania cruises were on Riviera in the Med. We are going to Bermuda on Insignia in a few weeks. 

Can't say enough good things about our Oceania experiences so far, and have a Marina cruise booked in Sept Amsterdam-Lisbon. 

I assume the Insignia Bermuda cruise will be a completely different Oceania experience for us. More children,  more of a party atmosphere, perhaps less well traveled passengers??  

If so, that's fine. Just mentally preparing myself that this will be not the Oceania we have come to love. Refurbished ship and the usual fabulous food will be great.

dk

We've done multiple segment Oceania cruises where the passenger demographic changes significantly on changeover day.

I am reminded of a past TransAtlantic segment followed by a shorter Med/Greek Isles segment.

The average adult age dropped by about 15 years and families with kids (as well as college alumni groups) were more in evidence.

You can bet that, while a 7-10 day Caribbean cruise on an Oceania ship will have the same stellar food and service, the "vibe" and "energy" will be significantly different than a 18 day Panama Canal cruise or even moreso with something like a 3 week +\- S.A./Cape Horn transit.

FWIW, I have zero interest in short Caribbean cruises for all of the obvious reasons (not the least of which is BORING "one and done"). Even the current discounts on Oceania Caribbean cruises that have had to dump Cuba are not enough to peak my interest. And I think you'll find that to be a common sentiment among many Oceania regulars.

Even if they have more children sometimes you do not really see them

We had 40 supposedly on our Norway cruise  I only counted 10  & they were pretty well behaved

Unless they have a kids sail free  I would not worry  too much

there are only a couple of sea days  so most people will be ashore  when in Bermuda

the smaller ship you will dock in town rather than King's Wharf  area

When is your cruise?

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW, I have zero interest in short Caribbean cruises for all of the obvious reasons (not the least of which is BORING "one and done"). Even the current discounts on Oceania Caribbean cruises that have had to dump Cuba are not enough to peak my interest. And I think you'll find that to be a common sentiment among many Oceania regulars.

Are going to Bermuda for Blue Marlin. 2 days of fishing. 

The Oceania cruise was less expensive than flying and staying for 1 week. 

24 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

the smaller ship you will dock in town rather than King's Wharf  area

When is your cruise?

Yes, St. Georges and Hamilton

8/11-8/18

2 hours ago, donkaufman said:

Are going to Bermuda for Blue Marlin. 2 days of fishing. 

The Oceania cruise was less expensive than flying and staying for 1 week. 

Yes, St. Georges and Hamilton

8/11-8/18

Enjoy

Try Wahoo's  in St Georges 

we had 3 days in Hamilton & took the ferry to King's wharf one day for shopping ..of course 😉

15 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

The difference will be noticed more in the class of ship, rather than atmosphere due to passengers. We love both classes...each has their strengths and weaknesses.

Agree to a point.

It is a different group of people in many ways that cruise the Carib vs those that cruise in Asia, Australia and Africa - not just because of destination but also the distance to travel and length of the cruises.

I think this is true for all cruise lines, not just Oceania.

JMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Will not have much time to be bored. Fishing for the guys, Fairmont & Hamilton Princess spa appointments for the girls. 

Basically two half days with out something scheduled. 

Agree on the Med. especially  with more than 7 days.

It all depends on your reason to cruise. Is it visitng or returning to places you would like to see and experience? Or is it for some much needed R & R? We enjoy Bermuda and especially not having to fly to the ship. We can always find things to do and see if we so choose. Had a rough year and hoping for R & R on a beautiful ship and just appreciating the ocean. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think it depends greatly on,

a) your reason for the cruise.

b) the cabin booked,

c) your expectations.

We sailed Insigna last August New England and Bermuda.  One of our  best cruises ever.

Well worth the long distance flight. 

Bermuda on any ship is better than a hotel especially if you live close enough to drive.

We sailed Sirena two weeks ago. The cabins are smaller than on the O class ships as are the bathrooms. The refit has made ocean view and Balcony cabins seem even smaller as the furniture is bigger. All beautifully done as is the new glass shower cubicle. No actual experience of the small space but our friends were in one and we explored. They felt the loss of the shower curtain as glass made the shower tighter. No give for ‘butts’ Nothing that would stop them booking again, just tighter. 

The menu’s have changed for the worse re choice not quality.

Expectations.

if it’s convenient, you love Bermuda and cruising how can you go wrong. Think smaller and less queues and you won’t go wrong.

However we have cruised well over most of the Mediterranean. Have been to some ports multiple times and have always found something new to delight in. 

A day on a cruise ship beats a day at home/ work.

Have a a wonderful time.