Worst Deal on Carnival

Respectfully disagree with a few of the selections in this topic:

1) Faster To The Fun is great if, like us, you're traveling with expensive items you don't want checked (our iPads and her expensive-but-fragile Charlotte Tilbury makeup), but don't feel like lugging those bags around with you your first afternoon. Being able to hit our cabin immediately and drop everything off is worth $50 to us, and so are the expanded debarkation options on the last day. YMMV, of course.

2) Art auctions: Two years ago on our honeymoon cruise, we saw a painting we loved ("Te Amo" by Tomasz Rut) but didn't buy it. For the next year, we wished we'd bought the painting. When we went on our first anniversary cruise, we sought out the Park West office on the first day and asked if they had it. Turns out they didn't, BUT another ship did and they were able to have the other ship pull it and reserve it. It cost us $1,200 after discounts (appraised at $1,700) but that painting hangs above our living room couch and we both love it. Bad deal? Not for us.

On the other hand, the Duty-Free booze is ridiculously overpriced compared to what you can buy the same stuff for back home. And don't even get us started on the cruise lines charging $3 or more for a 12-ounce can of soda.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 11:34 AM, fyree39 said:

The worst deal on Carnival is a "suite" on a fantasy class ship. My DH has a co-worker who's booked his first cruise. He chose a "suite" on the Inspiration for a 3 day cruise. I predict he'll come back and declare he'll never cruise again and it's a complete rip-off. The only time I don't get a balcony cabin is when we're on the fantasy class ships.  I'm not paying those prices for a tiny balcony off a small cabin that every can stare into from one deck up.

I have no idea why you're saying this.  I've booked a Grand Suite for both legs of my January 2020 B2B on Elation and am quite satisfied with the size and amenities of the suite for the price I paid.  This is not a small cabin, nor a tiny balcony.  What am I missing?  Why is it "the worst deal"? 

Here's a video tour of the Suite type I have booked (not my exact Suite and not my video).  Are you including this Suite on this Fantasy class ship in your pronouncement of "the worst deal"?:

Seems like a good amount of space for Fantasy class ship. These ships were built in a different era - I enjoyed the Fascination when I was on it and would do again (not in a suite).

I personally would not need a suite for a three day cruise unless it came with a cheers card!

3 hours ago, Stick93 said:

I personally would not need a suite for a three day cruise unless it came with a cheers card!

people who get suites get them because they want and can afford one, no one said they need a suite. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 1:13 PM, DebJ14 said:

I want another Conquest class ship back in Galveston!   So sad to see the Valor leave!  I've been on 44 CCL cruises and I agree it is the ugliest and worst laid out ship in the fleet. The Magic decor was kind of soothing in the blue, green and tan while the Breeze looked like a stick of cheap butter to me.  At least grassfed is a vibrant yellow.  

When the computer malfunctions those towers in the atrium are really an eyesore.  The Liquid Lounge is a joke.  The room has terrible sight lines with all those poles and not all the seats are pitched, so you usually can't see over (or around in many cases) the people in front of you whether down on the dance floor or up in the balcony.  I wish they would have sent the Vista to New Orleans instead of the Valor.

Agreed completely!!

2 hours ago, coevan said:

people who get suites get them because they want and can afford one, no one said they need a suite. 

I don’t disagree with that  although I know people who can afford the captains suite on any ship and take an inside cabins. 

If they “need” and can afford plus they are looking for something more elegant  maybe a fantasy class ship or even carnival  is not for them. The newer ships  are more equip to handle the rich and famous.  

5 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

I don’t disagree with that  although I know people who can afford the captains suite on any ship and take an inside cabins. 

If they “need” and can afford plus they are looking for something more elegant  maybe a fantasy class ship or even carnival  is not for them. The newer ships  are more equip to handle the rich and famous.  

Or, here's another possibility for you to consider:  maybe some of us book Suites on Carnival Fantasy Class ships because we want them, can afford them, and are going on that particular cruise line and that particular ship because our loved ones are going on it and want us to join them on it.  And so we are making the best of a less-than-ideal cruise choice. 

No one said those that don't book Suites can't afford Suites.🙄  It is not about need (your word).  It is about choice.  For each of us.  And who the heck is talking about  "the rich and famous"?????!!!!  You seem very judgy towards those that book Suites.  No one was putting on airs here.  Why would you judge someone based on the type of cabin they book?   Perhaps you have some personal insecurities attached to this subject.

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

Or, here's another possibility for you to consider:  maybe some of us book Suites on Carnival Fantasy Class ships because we want them, can afford them, and are going on that particular cruise line and that particular ship because our loved ones are going on it and want us to join them on it.  And so we are making the best of a less-than-ideal cruise choice. 

No one said those that don't book Suites can't afford Suites.🙄  It is not about need (your word).  It is about choice.  For each of us.  And who the heck is talking about  "the rich and famous"?????!!!!  You seem very judgy towards those that book Suites.  No one was putting on airs here.  Why would you judge someone based on the type of cabin they book?   Perhaps you have some personal insecurities attached to this subject.

I’m not insecure but thanks for asking. Its wonderful to see we have mental professionals who are willing to diagnose other members on a post. Some professional would even say when you throw a comment on others like that you are covering for your own personal issues.

I have booked and sailed in a suite on carnival before on the miracle and felt it was the best room I ever had. I didn’t feel ripped off or taken. No issues on this or many of the issues people have brought up. I was commenting on the original post of the guy why thought he got ripped off on a fantasy ship suite and further commented on the fact that I personally didn’t need one for a 3 day cruise. Some people enjoy bingo, art, pictures and many of the things that have been brought up in these posts. Need is a personal preference. If you would like one of those things or a suite  and are rich, poor or in between - ENJOY!

G-d bless all. If we all liked the same thing life would be boring and predicable. 

This is topic is on what people feel is a rip off - I think that if you feel a suite is a rip off on a  fantasy class ship then it probably is not a ship for you. But feel free to book it and enjoy or come on CC and complain.  

Maybe that clarifies my comment. 

9 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I understand what you mean, but what exactly are double elite qualifying night credits? 

Sorry- used the wrong verbiage! EQNs refers to a phrase used in hotel message boards to reference the amount of nights needed to maintain or qualify for a loyalty status.