Meet & Mingle, Where Were You?

lextrvlr

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

I just started a roll call for my Viking cruise and hope we have enough participation to have a M&M

The minimum number of participants for Viking to hold an M&M is 1, unlike some of the big lines which require 25. As soon as you sign up, the party is on!

I have only heard of one incident of this but sometimes the crew will cancel the M&M if they don't think that enough people have signed up but the deal between Viking and CC is minimum 1 person. At the same time I have heard of an M&M that was just the Captain and one guest-- or was it one couple  .

Some roll calls drag worse than others. People come to the roll call introduce themselves and then never post another word again.  I guess that falls under "you can lead a horse to water..." Not much we can do about it!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The minimum number of participants for Viking to hold an M&M is 1, unlike some of the big lines which require 25. As soon as you sign up, the party is on!

I have only heard of one incident of this but sometimes the crew will cancel the M&M if they don't think that enough people have signed up but the deal between Viking and CC is minimum 1 person. At the same time I have heard of an M&M that was just the Captain and one guest-- or was it one couple  .

Some roll calls drag worse than others. People come to the roll call introduce themselves and then never post another word again.  I guess that falls under "you can lead a horse to water..." Not much we can do about it!

Thanks for the feedback 🙂 If it is just my husband and I when we get ready to leave, I will probably stop at guest services and let them know not to do one - I'd hate to take up their time for just us.

I've definitely seen a variety of activity in the roll calls, but generally I find better discussion there than other social media (which I haven't seen anything there either and don't plan on starting).

39 minutes ago, odblnt said:

Just a quick question... On an itinerary with no sea days, what day would they normally have the M&M?

(Thinking the Iconic Western Med)

Pete

Day 2 or 3. From what I have experienced, 6pm in the Wintergarden. A lot depends on what ports you are in those two days and when everyone is due back on board.

Edited by Peregrina651

10 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Day 2 or 3. From what I have experienced, 6pm in the Wintergarden. A lot depends on what ports you are in those two days and when everyone is due back on board.

Thanks, Peregrina,

Day 2 will be Palamós (depart at 6pm), and day 3 will be Montpellier (depart at 9pm), so Palamós would make sense.

Hi,

I am not clear how one gets on the guest list for M&M. We have contributed a couple of items to our  roll call, Viking Star 31October. However we had previously contributed to a roll call for an Oceania cruise and we’re unaware of a M&M meeting.

9 hours ago, cucullus said:

Hi,

I am not clear how one gets on the guest list for M&M. We have contributed a couple of items to our  roll call, Viking Star 31October. However we had previously contributed to a roll call for an Oceania cruise and we’re unaware of a M&M meeting.

You have to sign yourself up for the event separately here: https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcall/

You have until the 24th to sign up because CC has to send the list to the ship a week before you arrive. There are 16 people signed up. Maybe if you give a little push and share the link, you can get more people to sign up -- including the people who only read the roll call but never participate.

You can share this information with them as well:

• You have register to get an invitation because it is not announced in the Daily
  • You have to give your full names so they know where to deliver the invitation
  • Screen names are not shared with Viking, just the list that is generated as we sign up
  • Party open to all CC members and the people traveling with them
  • You do not have to post to the roll call to attend
  • Registration closes 7 days prior to sailing
  • M&M is usually scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd evening at 6pm in Wintergarden; please make you dinner reservations accordingly (it should be possible to change then once you board if there is a conflict)

The party includes free drinks and passed hors d'oeuvres compliments of Viking. Viking staff members attend the party as well and conditions permitting you may see the Captain there.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, that is so helpful.  I have registered. The Roll Call for the Viking Sky 31 October cruise is entirely focused on excursions so I am not sure how to take this forward on that site in terms of promoting the Meet and Mingle. It would hardly qualify  under “reply to this topic”. Despite advanced years my inexperience in this area is showing!

5 hours ago, cucullus said:

Thanks, that is so helpful.  I have registered. The Roll Call for the Viking Sky 31 October cruise is entirely focused on excursions so I am not sure how to take this forward on that site in terms of promoting the Meet and Mingle. It would hardly qualify  under “reply to this topic”. Despite advanced years my inexperience in this area is showing!

So glad you are asking questions about how things work rather than remaining silent because you are worried about making mistakes. A few more lessons and I am sure you will be another voice to be reckoned with. 😀

Unfortunately, in CC lingo "topic" does not mean "topic" but "thread" and the label on the button is most confusing, especially when it comes to roll calls, which are more wide ranging in conversation then the single topic threads/topics in any other forum are.

Roll calls are anything goes, not just excursions. They are about getting to know the people you will be sailing with not just sharing private/independent tours. If you want to talk about M&M with your fellow roll members, then just start talking about it. Who knows, it may cause some folks who aren't interested in the excursion talk to finally join the conversation.

If you have more questions, just ask! If you aren't sure where to ask, e-mail me. I'm happy to answer any question about CC and how to do things around here.

• Like 3

I think that Viking should hold the M&M in the Kitchen Table. That's where our first one was held.  Cozy atmosphere and people are more prone to mingle than the Wintergarden where there is a vast amount of space to retreat.  Especially if the crowds(?) on average are not what is expected.  We had about 30 at our first one and it was great.  Not many at our second, in the WG which seemed like far fewer with so much area vacant.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

On our just completed cruise, our M&M was scheduled for 10:00a on our first day which was a sea day.  We had a large contingent signed up. Two strikes were against us. We sailed out of NYC to extremely high seas overnight (25+ ft) that went on all night long.  There was also a time change of one hour forward. The results were a lot of people not feeling well, and a few (including us) being late because our phones did not automatically adjust to the new time and thus our alarm didn’t go off when needed. We called that morning to guest services, given the overnight seas, whether the M&M was still on. It was still scheduled. Following, the majority of other scheduled events were cancelled as too many passengers were unable to attend. 

Sometimes circumstances cannot be prevented

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, mkerner said:

Where do you find out if there is a M & M?

You must register here on Cruise Critic at least 10 days in advance of sailing so that your name  (not your screen name) will be on the list of invitees sent to Viking prior to departure. An invitation will then we be delivered to your cabin with where and when. Give your name and surname as it appears on your booking.

Sign up here: https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcall/ Choose your cruise line, then your ship, then your departure date. If you are on a B2B or Grand Voyage, you are invited to all M&Ms that will be held while you are on board but you must sign up for each of them individually.

Note that your entire traveling party is invited, be it just you and your cabin mate or a whole group of travel buddies.