drink package

1city@atime

I haven't cruised on Princess since the drink package came along. I have gotten the package as a promo on Norwegian and Celebrity. I have only ever bought it on Carnival. On Carnival you have to purchase the cheers package for all in stateroom over 21. My friends sailed Princess recently and bought drink package, they said they only bought it for 1 of them and shared it. Is it true that some cruise lines don't make you buy the package for all in stateroom over 21?

yes some cruise lines do not make everyone in the cabin purchase the package  

I cannot imagine  that  Princess  would knowingly  allow people to share the package   😲

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1city@atime said:

I haven't cruised on Princess since the drink package came along. I have gotten the package as a promo on Norwegian and Celebrity. I have only ever bought it on Carnival. On Carnival you have to purchase the cheers package for all in stateroom over 21. My friends sailed Princess recently and bought drink package, they said they only bought it for 1 of them and shared it. Is it true that some cruise lines don't make you buy the package for all in stateroom over 21?

So, two (or more) people "shared" a "single"' individual's drink package? I must admit that I've never heard of any cruise line allowing that (including Princess).

Now, of course, there are a variety of cruise lines that do not require everyone else in the cabin to purchase the booze package. But, that's because the cruise line TRUSTS that the person with the single package understands that it is only for his/her personal use and that s/he will not share their "proof of purchase" (e.g., sign/sail card) in order to defraud the company by allowing others to use it in order to avoid drink charges.

If that's not the case with your friends, I trust that others on CC await the news of how a single person's booze package can be used by multiple people on Princess.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

yes some cruise lines do not make everyone in the cabin purchase the package  

I cannot imagine  that  Princess  would knowingly  allow people to share the package   😲

I suspect the key word is "knowingly".   

• Like 1

I agree that sharing is not the intent of the cruise line.  When RCI, as example, first introduced their drink packages they required all in the stateroom of legal age to purchase it.  They later changed that to permit individual purchases to accommodate those passengers where one would typically consume alcohol and the other would not.  They later changed the policy back to the original one requiring all to purchase it reportedly, in part, to curb sharing by those who were taking advantage of the revised policy in order to reduce their on board drinking expenses.  I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Princess doesn't do the same.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

How much are the packages?

Work out how much you usually drink, and if it saves you a lot of dosh, just buy them.

I reckon it saved us £200 each on our last cruise. Or whetever currency we were dealing in at the time.