Afternoon Tea in a Suite

Big Foot

Hello, 

A question for those of you who have travelled in a suite. Have you ever asked your Butler to arrange 'afternoon tea'? 

We are travelling on Azura in September & it will be hubby's 50th Birthday on day 2 of the cruise, a sea day. 

I am organising a cake which I want to get delivered to the suite as opposed to the dining room, as he wouldn't enjoy that, and wondered if it was possible to arrange something else? 

I've looked at the platters / canapés etc. you can order, however, these are not really to our liking. 

I'm guessing I could just order off the room service menu, but wondered if I could get a few finger sandwiches etc.  Don't want too much as we're on first sitting for dinner, but wanted to try and do something special / different.

Any tips / advice greatly appreciated. 

Thank you. 

Joan

We were on Azura in the Spring, in a suite, and we did order cream teas on a couple of occasions - just from the room service menu, but quite pleasant nonetheless.  It was instead of lunch (we're not huge eaters) and fitted the gap between breakfast and dinner quite nicely.  There are some sandwiches etc on the same menu which you could add if you wished.  All included in your fare, of course, whether you order via the butler or via room service (in the latter case it's still likely to be brought by one of the butlers).

I imagine if you wanted something rather more special, the butler could arrange something for you though.

Afternoons are always a bit of a downtime for the butlers,  never the less am sure he will be happy to accommodate your request.  Provided you give him a days notice he will liaise with the chef to get you what you want even if it's not shown as available (we had toffee apples once!) I always find that it's good idea to give the butler a folded twenty in his hand when you shake on the deal, that way you will get all that you ask for. And, if you have a great time, another twenty to say thanks.

Bal

9 minutes ago, Balaena said:

Afternoons are always a bit of a downtime for the butlers,  never the less am sure he will be happy to accommodate your request.  Provided you give him a days notice he will liaise with the chef to get you what you want even if it's not shown as available (we had toffee apples once!) I always find that it's good idea to give the butler a folded twenty in his hand when you shake on the deal, that way you will get all that you ask for. And, if you have a great time, another twenty to say thanks.

Bal

Toffee apples  

P1060225.jpg

The Butler will definitely receive a tip.

My main concern is that we board on the Monday & Hubby's Birthday is the following day so no doubt he will be extremely busy on embarkation day.

It's a shame that P&O don't offer a concierge service whereby I could arrange this prior to embarkation.  Therefore, I think I will write a note & hand it to him & try and have a quiet word, without Hubby lingering.

Wow the toffee apples look amazing.

Toffee apples for suite passengers with afternoon tea...to coincide with the kiosk running out of tubes of Fixadent & Polygrip. 

Another example of the great sense of humour exhibited by the staff. This is up there with the application of the MDR tea algorithm which states

’ if the number of passengers at the table is n and the number of fancy cakes is F then 

F must equal n-1. 

Stand back & watch the fun. 

Edited by Ranchi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Last suite we had, had a fantastic butler. I am sure he would have arranged anything for us, with a day or twos notice. Unfortunatly we went down with the most fearful cold/flu virus, so all he could do was bring tons of honey and lemon slices!!!!

Had we asked I wouldn't had felt the need to tip him before hand though.

Our only P & O cruise (out of 18) was on Oceana in a suite. I asked our Butler if he could organise just this. He said that he was off duty in the afternoons and suggested we get ordinary room service. Not quite what I had in mind ! I wish you better luck.

17 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Our butler on Aurora organised afternoon tea at 4pm every afternoon, no question or problem.  Only issue was to get him to cut down on the number of cakes he brought 

Hello,

That's good to know!

Thank you

Joan