Live, Terry/Ohio, Silver Muse: Alaska, Canada/Rockies, Pix’s

TLCOhio

50 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

For QueSeraSera, Juneau today was busy, but it was raining hard when I walked...

I will say, regardless of how good one’s rain gear is, Juneau can soak you like you’ve never been soaked before, including Norway.  You are so right, Juneau has some crazy, crazy weather.

• Thanks 1

I’m enjoying your live/blog especially since we are on the cruise right after yours.  Liked the info about Thor observation.  Shhhh don’t tell anyone.  We have been in Anchorage today.  We walked down to their farmer’s market (lots of crafts) and took a Trolley ride around the town.  Our trolley driver was Donna McCarrey.  She was excellent.  She has lived here for a long time and had so many interesting and funny stories.  

Nice follow-ups from poohkey and Stumblefoot.  More in responses later.  Another great dinner tonight.  Surf and turf in Atlantide.  Now late at night and getting ready for another busy day.  This time in Skagway. Below is more on this historic town. 

SKAGWAY:  At the northern terminus of the Inside Passage, Skagway is a preserved throw-back from North America's biggest, most-famous gold rush.   Then, the “magic of gold” happened!!  Most of the downtown district forms part of the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park, dedicated to the stampede of 1897 that extended to Dawson City in Canada's Yukon.  Skagway did not even exist in 1895, but it quickly grew into Alaska’s largest settlement.  It became a frontier center packed with trading posts, saloons, “ladies of the night”, “entertainment” establishments, etc.  The general area’s population increased to 30,000, largely made up of American prospectors in this lawless boomtown.  The infamous Red Onion Saloon still keeps a pistol that Wyatt Earp left behind en route to the Klondike.   As the gold rush faded into the 1900’s, however, so did Skagway’s prosperity. With a current population of a little over 1,100 people, its summer size doubles to deal with more than a million visitors each year.  The White Pass and Yukon Route narrow gauge railroad, part of the area's mining past, is now in operation for the tourists.  Skagway was also the setting for Jack London's “Call of the Wild” book. The John Wayne film "North to Alaska" (1960) was filmed nearby.   In July-August, its average high is 67F with a low of 49F.

Now more to finish from our flying adventure in Juneau. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 84,433 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here is an inside view for a portion of the large lobby/dining area of Taku Lodge dating back to 1923 when it first entertained visitors in this remote area.  Second is the food line for the fresh-grill salmon and other treats for lunch.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

3999691_SailingNorth1675.thumb.jpg.a1968f6084068c47c47fc44fdeca1112.jpg

297562429_SailingNorth1676.jpg.a7f6fea1ac11da17285fd18fbdc8ee89.jpg

Below is another view of the glacier opposite Taku Lodge, plus one of the Wings Airway plane taking off from this waterside location.

Yes, a bear came to visit and was trying to gain drippings from the grill that cooked the salmon.  Close, safe and fun seeing this bear.  Next are the flags for the USA and Alaska flying proudly with mountain/waterfall action in the background.:

1708802902_SailingNorth1677.thumb.jpg.4f9e3ebaab7c502e90a18437eb000d93.jpg

812270473_SailingNorth1678.thumb.jpg.3a44337c37a13959d5ed8b572304508b.jpg

Sailing North 1672.jpg

Sailing North 1673.jpg

Sailing North 1674.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 1

Here is more to finish from our flying adventure in Juneau. Sorry about the above visuals being a little out of order without proper spacing.  Late at night, things are a little technically challenged.  

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 64,268 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

After our salmon lunch was a walk in the old, old rainforests nearby to Taku Lodge.  Very fascinating sights and nature formations.:

1044335080_SailingNorth1679.thumb.jpg.9e2430d7e61dbd746dc5411a2c38cc14.jpg

Here is our pilot making our take-off as I was about to capture the experience up-close from the co-pilot's seat. The second picture shows the dramatic blue colors from the glacier textures.  Not a glacier for walking.  Very unique look and terrain!!  Third shows another view in flying over one of the five glaciers we saw this day.:

207876920_SailingNorth1680.thumb.jpg.f7897ebb07e7105356fb9db9f52c74bb.jpg

1593716343_SailingNorth1681.thumb.jpg.9b76c3436183e03ab02dcc75cab49b61.jpg

1455724440_SailingNorth1682.jpg.f29c8d630f5b37a55f1406b47c0f7325.jpg

As we are ready to land in Juneau, here is the view from our plane of the five ships in port this day in July 2019.  As you can see, the Silver Muse is the smallest of the five ships in port this day.  The final shot is of our yellow-trimmed plane being docked right near the 4000+ passenger, Royal Caribbean ship in port this day.  Yes, things got crowded on the streets of Juneau after that massive ship arrived.:

1693491321_SailingNorth1683.jpg.94a26c3661019502a9a55b938f05c810.jpg

546544772_SailingNorth1684.jpg.3911cf47342f0a558c82c3fb4a62fc97.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Fab photos Terry, thank you. The cruise seems to be going by so fast!   Just remembered my earlier question - when is the latest one needed to be on the ship on embarkation day?

Good reminder question above from worldtraveller99 from the UK.  For our sailing date on July 25, departure time was set at 5 pm.  We actually had all aboard and sailed away a few minutes early from that scheduled departure time.  I assume they would want you on-board by 4 pm.  But, why wait so long??  There is plenty to do, including lunch, if you board early afternoon.  Plus, unpacking, exploring the ship, etc., are needed, etc.  Does this help?  Cute, fun comment from Lois in Florida.  Appreciate these observations and questions.  Keep 'em coming!!

Now sailing up the narrow passages toward Skagway, near the Canada border.  It looks to my left that I am seeing Haines with one ship already there for the day.  Here are the ships schedule for Skagway, on Monday, July 29
Silver Muse: 8 am to 5:30 pm, 596 passengers
Millennium: 7 am - 8:30 pm, 2,138 passengers
Ovation of Seas: 7 am - 8:30 pm, 4,180 passengers
Viking Orion: 8 am - 6 pm, 930 passengers
That's four ships with total potential of 7,844 passengers in port for this day.  Not as crowded and congested as for Juneau, but still busy for such a small town.  As we were having dinner last night in Atlantide, we saw Royal Caribbean's massive Ovation of the Seas backing out of the Juneau harbor and then doing a 180 degree rotation in order to depart.  

Below are a few more "bonus" visuals from being in and around Juneau yesterday. Am planning to be getting a rental car today in Skagway in order to drive up into Canada and claim "bragging rights" for being in the famed Yukon Territory.  Here is more on the . . . . 

YUKON TERRITORY:  North of Skagway is the highway route into the famed Yukon Territory of Canada.  Remember the “Sergeant Preston of the Yukon” TV series from the 1950’s?   The Yukon Territory is the smallest and westernmost of Canada's three federal territories. It has the smallest population of any province or territory in Canada, with just 35,874 people in 2016 for this vast area.

From Skagway, there is access to Canada via the South Klondike highway with miles of wilderness, panoramic views and wildlife habitat. You can drive inland to the 3292’ high White Pass with rugged peaks and distant glacier features.  Nearby are lichen-covered forest of the sub-alpine Tormented Valley.  

During the Klondike Gold Rush, prospectors came to this region and had to get past two major river obstacles: Miles Canyon and the Whitehorse Rapids (named for whitecapped waves that resembled stallions’ manes). To prevent mass starvation, the government required every Stampeder to haul along a year’s supply of goods. The recommended list included 10 pounds of coffee, 150 pounds of bacon and 400 pounds of flour—part of a total 1,095 pounds of food supplies. Items like picks, ropes and a dozen heavy wool socks quickly brought the load up to a ton. Whitehorse, the northern terminus of the railway from Skagway, Alaska, boomed because it was as far north as would-be miners and their freight could travel by train.  From there,  sternwheelers did the rest.  Now the territory’s capital, Whitehorse stands at Historic Mile 918 of the Alaska Highway and has the world’s lowest level of metropolitan air pollution, according to the Guinness World Records 2013.

We hope to see the Yukon Suspension Bridge, a pedestrian cable suspension bridge located on mile 46.5 on the South Klondike Highway in Northern British Columbia, Canada. It is 200 feet long and swaying 65 feet over the Tutshi River Canyon.  The Yukon Suspension Bridge was completed in 2006 and they describe the site as “The call of the wild. This is where your wilderness adventure begins.”  It is located one hour from Whitehorse and 30 minutes from Skagway on the South Klondike Highway. The U.S. and Canada border crossing at Fraser is ten minutes by road west of this cable bridge site. Yukon:

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 48,442 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

From at Taku Glacier Lodge, here was another example of the fascinating sights when we were walking and exploring in their nearby wooded areas.  It was like being in a magic movie setting.  Second is my plate with the salmon, plus some other dining goodies.  it was a big plate and I was able to have a second piece of the tasty salmon from these Alaskan waters.  Very, very good and fresh!!:

765349746_SailingNorth1685.jpg.5d674a3d00180ba97a95eb4080f71bd9.jpg

233029439_SailingNorth1688.jpg.7b799802ddfa78aabec5eba412ad5ccc.jpg

From the air, here is more of a close-up, size comparison between the huge Ovation of the Seas versus the more manageable and handy Silver Muse as they were both docked in Juneau yesterday.  For our interests, we much prefer the more "personal-sized" Silver Muse.  The Ovation seemed to have giant arm on its top deck that rose up and rotated around like you would see at an amusement park on land. Our Silver Muse Captain had our ship backed in so the 10:30 pm sail-away was quicker and easier.  Second is a view over a portion of Juneau, including the Governor's Mansion in the middle.  No, you cannot see Russia from that location.  Sorry, Sarah!  But, maybe Russia is visible from other parts of Alaska??:

49169550_SailingNorth1686.jpg.513eb201dee36a7976757c9185959a25.jpg

807134581_SailingNorth1687.jpg.ed87e9015d13d846e0fc2940afc5cbf1.jpg

Thank you Terry for answering my question re boarding time. I guess I feel we can unpack and explore before dinner - whereas I want to see more of Vancouver before we leave it - and go clothes shopping! Plus we will have all the next day on the ship, and I am unsure how much I will enjoy sea days. I am going to be on the Dramamine every day I know! 

22 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Thank you Terry for answering my question re boarding time. I guess I feel we can unpack and explore before dinner - whereas I want to see more of Vancouver before we leave it - and go clothes shopping! Plus we will have all the next day on the ship, and I am unsure how much I will enjoy sea days. I am going to be on the Dramamine every day I know! 

Yes, lots fun to see and do in Vancouver.  Each person has to figure out what best fits their personal needs and interests.  Understand the "trade-offs" as to sea-days versus ports, etc.  If you have not been on the Silver Muse previously, there is much to explore and find of interest. 

We are now pulling into Skagway's harbor.  Great view here from having the wide 180 degree view of the Tor's Observation Library.  Very quiet and peaceful here.  Plus great views of the "action".  The other three ships are already docked.  It looks like we will have a a very docking location.  Right next to the Viking Orion ship and close to see some of the older, industrial loading parts of this port.  The giant RCCL Ovations of the Sea is located at the least handy and farthest spot from the main part of town. 

Looks like a mix of cloudy, some rain, temperatures at 55F now and an expected high of 59F this afternoon.  Raining hard now, but expected to clear up, some, later.  

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 46,417 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Be wary of that Viking ship attempting to board & pillage!
After a few days pre-cruise in Denali, assuming the bears don't get us, will be on Muse 15 August Seward to Vancouver.  Following these posts with anticipation.

• Haha 1

Finally catching up after a weekend away. Glad you are enjoying Alaska! Great activities there and I know how much you've been busy planning.

Looking forward to the rest of your trip, though I'll probably miss the end of it - unless there's good wi-fi on the Cloud. Enjoy every minute! 

Yes, J.P. and Chris are getting ready and being busy with their upcoming travel.  Agree that we are enjoying Alaska.  Fun comment from philw1776 as to be careful with those Viking from history's past.  

As planned, we traveled to the Yukon and Canada today in a rental car.  We encountered some serious clouds and fog in crossing over the 3200' high mountain pass, but we surprisingly encountered some very unusual rock and ground appearance in these areas.  More pictures and details later.  Below is just a quick sampling for the passage into Canada and in Skagway.  Lots of wind and rain in the morning, but conditions improved later in the day.   Below is more as background as to where we head for tomorrow: 

SITKA:   Per USA Today, Sitka is considered Alaska’s oldest town with 1799 as its first year of settlement:  As a Russian fur trading post before the town and territory had became part of the U.S., it was also the site where the Alaska Purchase was signed in 1867.  Dubbed “Seward’s Folly” when America bought it for $7.2 million, that cost worked out to only two cents an acre.  Good deal?  Why did Russia sell?  It was going through economic and political turmoil after it lost the Crimean War in 1856 to Britain, France and the Ottoman Empire.   With an eclectic blend of Alaska Native, Russian and American history, Sitka has a dramatic and open-ocean setting.  Among its sights include the Russian Bishop’s House and the onion dome of St. Michael’s Cathedral (built in 1848 to honor a Russian Orthodox bishop).  Sitka’s current population is nearly 9,000.   

Historically, the Kiksádi clan of the Tlingit people were here for centuries prior to the 18th-century arrival of the Russians.  Sitka is a Tlingit word meaning “by the sea”.  In the 1799-1804 period, there were battles between the Tlingits and Russians. By 1821, the Tlingits had reached an accord with the Russians, who were happy to benefit from the tribe's hunting skills.  Then the town prospered, becoming known as the “Paris of the Pacific”. There were major shipbuilding and repair facilities, sawmills, and forges and even an ice industry, shipping blocks of ice from nearby Swan Lake to the booming San Francisco market.  Sitka was originally the capital of Russian America under the name New Archangel. After the U.S. purchase, Sitka served as the U.S.’s seat of government until the relocation north to Juneau in 1906. The town declined after its 1867 transfer from Russia to the U.S., but it became prosperous again during World War II, when it served as a base for efforts to drive the Japanese from the Aleutian Islands.  Nearby is the dormant volcano Mount Edgecumbe, 3,200-feet high that can be seen from Sitka on a clear day..  During July and August, Sitka’s average high is 61F with a low of 52F.

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic location. Over 46,186 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

In Canada, here is the Yukon Suspension Bridge that we visited today.  It is a pedestrian cable suspension bridge located on mile 46.5 on the South Klondike Highway in Northern British Columbia, Canada. It is 200 feet long and stretches 57 feet over the Tutshi River Canyon.:

871230316_SailingNorth1690.jpg.68a75b6d68d97221cbdc136b8094db96.jpg

Here is Skagway's famed Red Onion Saloon.  This was a brothel location that was very "busy" in the 1898-1899 period.  We the official tour of this special aspect of Alaska history.  As our guide told us, this tour would be the "climax" of our day.  Fun and interesting aspect from this period of time.:

289470029_SailingNorth1689.jpg.bcdc1624f7b32c33018931e04615c44e.jpg

10 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Consider trying Bonine rather than Dramamine.   It’s longer lasting dose, and doesn’t make you drowsy.  It’s over the counter where the Dramamine is.

• Like 1

Terry, Lovely cruise!  Many fond memories.  If I did not mention this before, check out the fabric store on the main street in Sitka.  They have cotton fabric printed with Alaska scenes you cannot get anywhere else.  Quite fun to buy a yard for a future project.  I found caribou horn buttons in Skagway.

Currently reading your Oceania tour of Middle East as I've just booked on Seabourn next year for that.

Looking forward to more of your fabulous pix,

Missy

14 hours ago, MHF said:

Terry, Lovely cruise!  Many fond memories.  If I did not mention this before, check out the fabric store on the main street in Sitka.  They have cotton fabric printed with Alaska scenes you cannot get anywhere else.  Quite fun to buy a yard for a future project.  I found caribou horn buttons in Skagway.  Currently reading your Oceania tour of Middle East as I've just booked on Seabourn next year for that.  Looking forward to more of your fabulous pix,   Missy

Appreciate these above wonderful comments and the Sitka-specific tip from Missy.  Excellent!!  Will share with my wife.  We have a good friend who is really into fabrics.  Also, helpful as to the tip from brumagin1.  Keep it coming!!   Very good and beneficial sharing.

We are now approaching Sitka.  See the one quick 6:45 am picture below.  True "live-action" and posting from here in the Tor's Observation Library at the front, top part of the Silver Muse.  But, sorry, for the first time, the Silversea Internet has been very difficult and impossible this morning in trying to upload any pictures.  Things for the ship Internet had previously worked in a slow, but decent manner.  Lots of great visuals to share.  BUT, hopefully later today or tomorrow as we are doing Hubbard Glacier.  

Last night was an amazing dinner, plus so incredible and special in having the ship's lecture expert/speaker as our guest for dinner at our table in Atlantide.  We had requested Beef Wellington in advance the night before and it was totally spectacular in taste, texture and delight.  What a great evening!!!  Professor Dr. Edward Larson is a Pulitzer Prize winning author and his book coming out in January will will be all about the relationship between George Washington and Benjamin Franklin.  Lots more details to share later about U.S. Presidents, American history, etc., etc.  This includes as to why both Washington and Franklin were the two most important figures during the American Revolution and what they accomplish to make it happen.  Dr. Larson calls both of them as "indispensable" during that period in history.  He has written best-selling books on both Washington for the 1783-89 period and about the highly-bitter and divided election battle of 1800 between Jefferson and John Adams. I read both of these books prior to this cruise.  Very well-crafted writing and research.  So stimulating to be able to hear his presentations on Alaska, plus to discuss so much more at dinner.  He grew up in Ohio and we enjoyed discussing those connections, too.  

Yesterday was so scenic as we sailed south from Skagway.  Reminded much much of the Norway fjords that we enjoyed so much in July 2010 as we did our first sailing with Silversea.  See the link below. We enjoyed yesterday some sunshine, nice waterfalls, rising mountains, etc., etc.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 236,669 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

1 minute ago, QueSeraSera said:

Whoa, no pix from Terry this evening.  Like the expression goes - you never know what you've got till it's gone.

Be patient. It's only 3:30 pm in Alaska. Terry will deliver, as always.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Whoa, no pix from Terry this evening.  Like the expression goes - you never know what you've got till it's gone.

Sorry, had "technical issues" this morning in trying to do picture posting.  Might have been more of a Cruise Critic challenge than something to blame on Silversea's Internet not cooperating.  Good news?  Now things are working and posting OK.  BUT, currently time is short now.  Need to be at the "Queen" show in a little over an hour.  Need to shower first.  Then later, we will have dinner at La Terrazza with a new menu for the second half of our seven-day sailing.  

BUT, my biggest problem today was having too, too spectacular of a "whales, birds, wildlife" adventure.  Took a total of 808 pictures today.  Lots to review, check, fine-tune, etc.  Will share much more later.  Plus, the weather is also improving!!   No rain to dodge today. 

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 248,081 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is just one, quick visual highlight from today.  It's one of the many puffin we saw during our adventure here in Sitka, Alaska.  This is a tufted puffin and they are not exactly like those seen in the Atlantic areas.  So cute and beautiful.  Agree?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)1599366186_SailingNorth1694.jpg.5ed2fb3a3eedc525df56a0df5c617e79.jpg

Here was the morning view today as we sailed into Sitka.  It shows Mount Edgecumbe, their nearby volcanic peak.:

1994417464_SailingNorth1693.jpg.59636ba65035e16983f68c97dcd22f69.jpg

From our spectacular dinner last night, Dr. Edward Larson is shown with my wife, Penny, at dinner in Atlantide.  He's the ship's expert speaker and is a Pulitzer Prize winning author with such amazing knowledge of America's history.  He's originally from Ohio with both a law degree from Harvard and a Ph.D in history and science.  Below was our special order Beef Wellington that was so totally super in taste.  Look good?  It was much better in person and in my mouth bumping up against my taste buds!!  More details later as to how we arranged this dining speciality.:

78549048_SailingNorth1692.jpg.f939889716bc5689965b8067ff741fb7.jpg

470121065_SailingNorth1691.jpg.2d89da5b0bee88381223488280e91ef8.jpg

• Like 1

Am now in the forward Tor's Observatory area on the 11th Floor and have been seeing a mix of sun, fog, etc., as we are now approaching . . . .

HUBBARD GLACIER:   At more than six miles wide, 76 miles long and 1,200 feet deep, the Hubbard Glacier, off the coast of Yakutat, is the largest tidewater glacier in North America, per the London/UK Telegraph.  With ice cliffs, some 400’ tall, Hubbard has been nicknamed the "galloping glacier" because of the speed in which it is advancing towards the Gulf of Alaska. The glacier’s surface is creased and contorted, resembling the wrinkled skin of a giant elephant. Records show it has been growing in thickness and advancing since 1895. This stands in stark contrast to other glaciers around the world, most of which have been receding during the past century. Hubbard calves ice several times an hour – chunks as tall as 10-story buildings have been seen crashing into the sea.  This giant wall of ice extends to its source, Mount Logan in Canada’s Yukon. The rising sun makes the glacier’s blue facets sparkle like a gemstone.  This area also has wildlife similar to that seen in Glacier Bay.  This glacier was named after Gardiner Hubbard, a U.S. lawyer/financier, who was the first National Geographic Society President.  It is entered through Disenchantment Bay, given its name by a Spanish Explorer in 1792 to convey the disappointment felt when it was discovered that this was not the entrance to the Northwest Passage.

Still have tons more pictures to review and check from yesterday and earlier.   Plus the Cruise Director has given me much more detailed info about the crew, passenger mix on this sailing, etc., etc.  By the way, CD Rico Du-Breil will be on this ship till mid October when they compete the re-positioning of the Silver Muse to Japan and Asia. Captain Alessandro Zanello will stay on this ship until October, also.   

After this time period in, hopefully, getting closer to this scenic glacier, we will have a sea-day as we sail towards Seward.  Then later tonight is that hated period call "Packing UP".  Always dislike ending a cruise.  But, about 100 of the nearly 600 on this ship will be doing the Silversea excursion of five days to Denali.  

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 84,433 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• Like 1

From visiting Hubbard Glacier this morning, below are just a few quick visuals to provide and verify with 100% accuracy that we had sunshine and great views.  Are you believing me?  

Our ship speaker told us that we actually saw only about half of the front of this massive Hubbard Glacier.  When we were here in the morning, there was a large amount of "calfing" from yesterday afternoon left around.  Also, with the slow sailing speed due to the fog, our total time here was limited.  Due to these two factors, we did not get as close as happens at times.  During some other Silversea cruises, they sail within three/tenths of mile of this glacier and sometimes turn right to see the full width of its size.  Given the sunshine and conditions not being too cold, we were still very, VERY happy with our viewing of this significant natural wonder.   Dr. Larson also said that Hubbard is now better than Glacier Bay as that other major site visited by Princess, etc.,  has a significantly-shrinking glacier that is not quite what it used to be.   

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 64,268 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Here are a range of the views and sights from the Silver Muse this morning as we approached and rotated around both sides of the ship to see the Hubbard Glacier.  This is a big and GROWING glacier that required passing through a good measure of fog to arrive here.  Yes, it was worth it!!   Notice the blue color for a certain amount of the glacier?  In there first picture, you can see some of the six zodiacs strapped to the front of the ship and used during earlier and longer Muse sailing at the start of this Alaska season.  The final pix proves that I was really here and do, at times, get in front of a camera.  Thanks, Chris for snapping this visual.:

39650683_SailingNorth1693.thumb.jpg.e8b27519594651fdd624df22e4951d8d.jpg

1009682429_SailingNorth1695.jpg.5441c02a34eddd5023b0ce709d320b8c.jpg

247367565_SailingNorth1696.jpg.ca2348cd89be46e4d8dd563b034fc37b.jpg

1496753267_SailingNorth1694.jpg.37349a3b82dcfcb943819e18e38a3386.jpg

369239586_SailingNorth1692.jpg.7d24d9fcf1018d66d1a7101c21352f31.jpg

338265755_SailingNorth1698.jpg.4dbd8be099b5c54ae348e68c2213e3df.jpg

1718751181_SailingNorth1691.jpg.5eeeb40114e93c650f2c85d161e833df.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Here are a range of the views and sights from the Silver Muse this morning as we approached and rotated around both sides of the ship to see the Hubbard Glacier.  

I noticed there was no one in the pool! The day we visited Hubbard Glacier, the temp was in the 40's and the wind chill in the 20's. You had much better luck, it appears.

Patiently waiting for your Sitka wildlife/whale pics and commentary. Hope you had a great day!

• Like 1