Best shampoo and conditioner

tw67

My hair is wavy to curly and on a cruise I like to just let it dry naturally.   I am not wasting my time blow drying it.  What have you found to be the best shampoo and conditioner to use for curly hair on a cruise so that I am not frizzy?   Also must be good for color treated hair. 

1 hour ago, tw67 said:

My hair is wavy to curly and on a cruise I like to just let it dry naturally.   I am not wasting my time blow drying it.  What have you found to be the best shampoo and conditioner to use for curly hair on a cruise so that I am not frizzy?   Also must be good for color treated hair. 

Our girls use Bumble & Bumble, Surf products 

• Like 1

I have thick/wavy/curly hair...and I haven't personally found that shampoo/conditioner makes much of a difference.  What works for me are products afterwards.

I really like the Aveda "Be Curly" line - been using it for many years.  I have colored hair, and I use L'Anza brand shampoo/conditioner.  Then I use the Aveda products for styling.  I use the Style Prep and Curl Enhancer most often.  They define my curls, reduce frizz etc but don't leave your hair crunchy. 

You'll probably be testing products out before you go on your trip.  You can get small trial/travel sizes at some salons, that sell Aveda products, or online at Aveda.com 

https://www.aveda.com/hair-care/be-curly-hair-products-for-curly-hair?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwPu5t4qs3AIVAQAAAB0BAAAAEAAYACAAEgJVzfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I did have good success with Novex brand hair products (their keratin line, not the curly line incidentally).  It's a Brazilian brand, and I haven't been able to find the products easily here in the US the past few years (used to be available at Ulta).  So I unfortunately stopped using them. 

Good luck finding something that works great for you!  Have fun on your trip.

Edited by CutieKakes
  • Like 1

My stylist warned against the B&B Surf line - it dries out curly hair.  You're already getting a lot of salt in the hair on the cruise, the Surf line just adds more.

When I travel, I use Lush solid shampoos.  I have been using the Avocado Co-Wash lately - works well in Florida's humidity when I was there.  The Trichomania bar is a nicer coconut-infused bar.   I've used Godiva for quite a while, too, as it fits in the round container (the other 2 need the square-is massage bar container).  There is a new one "Honey, I Washed My Hair" , based on their "Honey, I Washed the Kids" soap and shower gel.  Honey-infused.  I'm going to try that one next time I get down to my nearest Lush Store.   If you want conditioner, Lush makes a solid conditioner, too, called Jungle.  Works great on my curly hair to help keep the frizz down.  I have curly, color-treated hair and haven't had a problem with any of these.  Best of all, they travel great and don't take up space in your luggage and they last a LONG time.

• Like 1

I have straight, fine, brittle hair that used to frizz terribly. I have been using Pureology products (specifically the purple "Hydrate") for over a year and my hair is rarely frizzy and is so much stronger, no matter what I do to it (blow dry, air dry, straighten, curl, etc.) or what type of water I use. I go camping/RVing frequently with water that has to be treated and is usually pretty hard (I imagine it will be similar to cruise ship water), and my hair is still amazing. My stylist and mom both have hair similar to yours and have had great results with "Hydrate Sheer", which is a lighter formula so it doesn't weigh down curls as much. Oh and the Pureology products are great for color treated hair; all 3 of us dye our hair and have had no issues with fading. In fact I feel like it has done a great job helping to preserve color for me over other shampoos/conditioners I have tried, even compared to the ones that are designed for color treated hair. It's pricey but it's worth it for me. I buy it at Ulta, but salons sell it, and you can buy it directly from the Pureology website.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the responses!  I was recently told to stop using shampoo with sulfates, that it can dry it out and make it frizzy.  I appreciate all the responses and will begin my search!

• 2 weeks later...

Daughter uses Live Clean Fresh Water Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner.  She goes to a curly hair salon and this is what they recommended.  Bought it off Amazon.

On 7/27/2019 at 9:04 PM, slidergirl said:

My stylist warned against the B&B Surf line - it dries out curly hair.  You're already getting a lot of salt in the hair on the cruise, the Surf line just adds more.

When I travel, I use Lush solid shampoos.  I have been using the Avocado Co-Wash lately - works well in Florida's humidity when I was there.  The Trichomania bar is a nicer coconut-infused bar.   I've used Godiva for quite a while, too, as it fits in the round container (the other 2 need the square-is massage bar container).  There is a new one "Honey, I Washed My Hair" , based on their "Honey, I Washed the Kids" soap and shower gel.  Honey-infused.  I'm going to try that one next time I get down to my nearest Lush Store.   If you want conditioner, Lush makes a solid conditioner, too, called Jungle.  Works great on my curly hair to help keep the frizz down.  I have curly, color-treated hair and haven't had a problem with any of these.  Best of all, they travel great and don't take up space in your luggage and they last a LONG time.

Oooh. I have a friend who wrote an entire short story about how the "Honey, I washed the Kids" soap smelled so delicious that it could be used to facilitate dating and better customer service. (Yes, really. No, she isn't insane.) I might need to order that new bar shampoo.

42 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Have you tried DevaCurl?  It's probably exactly what you are looking for.  You should be able to get a free sample at your local Sephora.

Yes, I hopped on the DevaCurl thing for awhile, and the Bumble & Bumble and other shampoo/conditioners for curly hair.   It didn't seem to do anything special with my hair over any of my Lush stuff.    Plus, since the Lush shampoo is solid (as is a few of their conditioners), I can just toss it in my bag and not have to have space for it in my Kippie Bag.

11 hours ago, DeeDee Groff said:

You may want to try REDKEN "frizz dismiss" after you towel dry your hair.  It seems to be widely available, I buy the small plastic bottle at the local Walmart, and it has worked well on permanently colored hair.

I used the John Freida stuff before.  it was OK.  Right now, I've got IGK "Rich Kid" Coconut Styling Gel on the shelf.  I had a sample in a Sephora bag and really like it.  At the store, they had "TSA" size ones.   Back in May, I had taken my  big tube to my stylist - she wanted to see how it worked.  Well, I forgot that I had it in my bag and went to the airport.  The smurfs didn't detect it and I didn't notice it until I got to the cottage - phew!  I checked my carry on for the flight back to be sure I kept it!!

I am super cheap and dye my own thick, wavy, frizzy hair. My fave travel conditioner is the kind that comes in the dye box. I hoard them and then pack them to go. They're small. I don't wash my hair that often--maybe 2 or 3 times/week. So one tube lasts for about a week long cruise. I like this solid bar idea though. Might have to check out LUSH.

I also have curly, wavy hair and I use Wen.  It works great!

One thing that helps with the frizz is to use a tiny amount of conditioner, work it through wet hair and don't rinse it off.

And if that doesn't work?  I embrace the philosophy of:

Salty Air.  Messy Hair.  I Don't Care!

Edited by fabuloso