Stay at Rome Airport Night Before Cruise

luvn2cruzzz

Frequently mentioned here is the Hilton that is physically in the airport. Pretty nice hotel...the breakfast buffet is impressive. 

Staying there leaves you with every option mentioned here to get to the port. Train, private transport, shared shuttle,  bus (recently mentioned, don't have a lot of info), and probably most expensive,  taxi.

The Hilton Garden Inn is also within the airport confines but is not attached. I prefer it because it has a shuttle to/from all of the terminals on a regular basis and because of that you have less walking distance with your luggage. The Hilton, while attached, is a bit of a hike from Terminal 3 (which is where all arriving flights funnel into).

Thank you,  We are looking at the Hilton Garden Inn though it looks like there is nothing around there.  Will be spending the day and night before the cruise. I know we will sleep for a bit after the 

Why stay at the airport in this situation?  It takes so little time to go into Rome and it's so much more enjoyable when you are awake enough to venture out.   There's nothing to do near the airport and it's expensive to get anywhere, even closer locations, by taxi from there.

If you really want to avoid downtown, why not travel to either Civitavecchia or the beach town just south of it, Santa Marinella, and stay there?  At least in either of these places there are things to do/places to walk to.

• Like 1

We too like the airport Hilton because of convenience and the free shuttle into Rome.  Although we also prefer to stay in Rome, for one night it is just easier and cheaper transportation wise.    We will take the shuttle into Rome for the day after arrival.  They also shuttle to Fumicino where there are several restaurants.   We hope to also take a taxi or bus to Ostia Antica in the morning before our paid shared shuttle into Civitavecchia.   

Edited by bennybear

19 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Why stay at the airport in this situation?  It takes so little time to go into Rome and it's so much more enjoyable when you are awake enough to venture out.   There's nothing to do near the airport and it's expensive to get anywhere, even closer locations, by taxi from there.

Agreed. I only stay at the airport "in extremis"!!  (In just about any city/country, but especially in Rome....)

Appreciate all of your comments.  Because we have been to Rome several times and my husband now has some mobility issues, we decided to just fly in the day before which will be much easier for him.  Would I love to go to Rome again, for sure!  But this is going to work best for us this time.  I will look into Santa Marinella.   Thanks for that recommendation.

On 7/28/2019 at 3:34 PM, euro cruiser said:

If you really want to avoid downtown, why not travel to either Civitavecchia or the beach town just south of it, Santa Marinella, and stay there?  At least in either of these places there are things to do/places to walk to.

Thank you for your suggestion about Santa Marinella.  I found a hotel that looks lovely and has very high ratings and just booked it!  That is why I love Cruise Critic.  Would never have known!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm flying in with a pal from SFO to FCO, arriving the afternoon before our cruise. My mother and aunt will be flying in later that evening from MSP. I booked a room at the Hilton Garden to make it easier on the later (and older) arrivals. I'm now trying to find best way to get from the airport hotel to cruise terminal. Mobility may be an issue and I'm trying to make it as stress free as possible (while not paying an arm and a leg). 

Any recommendations on car/minivan service?

1 hour ago, WineGal89 said:

I'm flying in with a pal from SFO to FCO, arriving the afternoon before our cruise. My mother and aunt will be flying in later that evening from MSP. I booked a room at the Hilton Garden to make it easier on the later (and older) arrivals. I'm now trying to find best way to get from the airport hotel to cruise terminal. Mobility may be an issue and I'm trying to make it as stress free as possible (while not paying an arm and a leg). 

Any recommendations on car/minivan service?

If you look down the board, there are MANY recommendations. We have use the wonderful Rome in Limo many times. There is a huge thread on them just down the board.

On 7/27/2019 at 4:50 PM, luvn2cruzzz said:

Has anyone stayed at a  hotel near the Rome airport prior to a cruise?  If so, where and how did you handle transportation to the port?

We stayed at the Golden Tulip three years ago. Rooms were clean and spacious and the tariff was far less than we've paid in previous stays in Rome.  A shuttle driver took us from the hotel to the port at Civitavecchia.