Cunard vs. Celebrity - a mini review

yhz123

Thanks for taking the time to write this up...I found it very interesting.

I couldn't agree more on the technology comparison.  I'll be on Celebrity in December for the first time in several years, and I'm already impressed by their iOS app and the digital experience so far.  It's been fun to play with and I can't wait to see how it functions on board.

Cunard, by comparison, has an abysmal website and no app.  I realize the different audiences have different expectations, but I hope to see Cunard make some effort in the space in the next few years and at least keep up. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed your review and comparisons.  I also cruise on Cunard (Diamond) and Celebrity (Elite) extensively, as well as a slew of other cruise lines.  Obviously I like variety.  

I very much enjoy QM2 for the unique experience she offers.  She is one of a kind and I cherish that.  This being said Cunard is not without its faults as you pointed out.  I agree 100% about the Internet on Cunard, and the embarkation experience.  Both are far below standard and pretty much every other cruise line I've sailed tops Cunard in these two areas.  I would add drink prices and quality to the mix.  I don't like that Cunard charges extra/separately for the drink mixers.  It's a sketchy way to increase the drink prices.   Technology of Cunard?  Well it's pretty much non-existent where as Celebrity embraces it.   

Even with its faults, I'm a big fan of Cunard and especially the QM2 because it offers a style of cruising that simply doesn't exist anymore.  

I'm also a big fan of Celebrity because the value proposition is there, the ships are stunning, there is more choice and variety than Cunard, and overall I find food and service excellent for the price paid.  I haven't sailed the new EDGE yet but I certainly hope too.  The same applies to Cunard's new build but frankly I'm less enthusiastic about her.

Generally I like Celebrity for cruises, and Cunard (QM2) for crossings.  Really the best of two worlds.      

Edited by eroller
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for your detailed comparison.  I am a big fan of both lines, but being more of a traditionalist, prefer Cunard as it is more my speed and Transatlantic is really my preferred voyage.  They obviously excel at that.

The one point I would make (to build on what you wrote) is Cunard's very poor website, clunky voyage organizer and appalling lack of a mobile app.  In 2019 it's really inexcusable, and in terms of brand stickiness, a huge missed opportunity.   Their old school approach should *not* extend to guest facing technology!  

1 hour ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Thanks very much for your detailed comparison.  I am a big fan of both lines, but being more of a traditionalist, prefer Cunard as it is more my speed and Transatlantic is really my preferred voyage.  They obviously excel at that.

The one point I would make (to build on what you wrote) is Cunard's very poor website, clunky voyage organizer and appalling lack of a mobile app.  In 2019 it's really inexcusable, and in terms of brand stickiness, a huge missed opportunity.   Their old school approach should *not* extend to guest facing technology!  

speaking of technology...

there were a few technology workshops that I attended aboard the QM2.

They had Ipad workshops and photography workshops but they were hit and miss.

I attended an excellent landscape photography workshop that was very informative and went for well over an hour.

However, I also attended a 10am night photography workshop that was a waste of time, lasting all of 11 minutes.

We are frequent Celebrity cruisers at a top loyalty level.  We have only been on one Cunard cruise, which was a QM2 crossing.  My impression was Cunard was slightly better than Celebrity in food and entertainment, which really are the only things we really care about.  But we love both lines.

We get another chance to compare upcoming shortly, as we will be doing a UK cruise in early August, and can compare to our last year's British Open cruise on Celebrity.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DWhit said:

We are frequent Celebrity cruisers at a top loyalty level.  We have only been on one Cunard cruise, which was a QM2 crossing.  My impression was Cunard was slightly better than Celebrity in food and entertainment, which really are the only things we really care about.  But we love both lines.

We get another chance to compare upcoming shortly, as we will be doing a UK cruise in early August, and can compare to our last year's British Open cruise on Celebrity.

Agree with you. While Celebrity's food was  fine, it was a bit too meat and potatoes, especially blasted mashed potatoes! Cunard usually offers pheasant, guinea fowl, and venison too but not in Celebrity's MDR. However, if Cunard had the Martini bar, I would be completely happy on all fronts.

9 minutes ago, Csardas said:

Agree with you. While Celebrity's food was  fine, it was a bit too meat and potatoes, especially blasted mashed potatoes! Cunard usually offers pheasant, guinea fowl, and venison too but not in Celebrity's MDR. However, if Cunard had the Martini bar, I would be completely happy on all fronts.

I'm with you there, the place to be seen...

197359611_MartiniBarBandR.thumb.jpg.09b9b84b91c43ac01b92ed7e0b02f6f3.jpg

...and to see.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 10:16 PM, eroller said:

Generally I like Celebrity for cruises, and Cunard (QM2) for crossings.  Really the best of two worlds.      

I can empathise with that.

And I'd be a really happy bear if Cunard had an 'Apple' shop onboard. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DWhit said:

My impression was Cunard was slightly better than Celebrity in food and entertainment, which really are the only things we really care about.  But we love both lines.

I never thought Cunard had great entertainment except for the lecturers and musicians.  The production shows are terrible.  Appassionata has been running on QM2 since the day she started sailing.  Cunard likes to tout it's the oldest running show at sea.  Not something to brag about.  It was never great to begin with, and they are just too cheap to retire it.  

I used to think Cunard's cuisine was superior, or at least on par with Celebrity, but not any longer.  Most recently I've seen the Cunard menus dumbed downed with less variety and the quality and panache just doesn't seem to be there anymore.  It's still not bad but I don't think anything to write home about anymore.  Celebrity's cuisine surpassed Cunard, at least on recent sailings.  Of course this seems to change from year to year as cruise lines go through various stages of evolution.  

13 hours ago, Underwatr said:

QM2 recently debuted a new show: "Be Our Guest" (but Appassionata did appear at least once in our recent 18 nights).

I'm not sure I've seen that one.  Rhythm of the Night made its debut after the major refit in 2016.  It was just ok IMO.  

I missed it the first time it appeared in our rotation but a couple of nights later a guest performer was gushing onstage about how fantastic Be Our Guest was so I made a point of catching it the next time. It's now the default "Welcome Aboard" show, dancers in Cunard porter suits, an homage to The Greatest Showman which they seem to have adopted on QM2 (at least) as their own since they hosted the premiere, more like that...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Are you saying some people showed up for dinner on Cunard in flip flops?

Sorry if I've missed a post somewhere along the line, but the only post on this thread I am seeing that mentions flip flops is post #25 by baldercash. I interpreted that as pertaining to afternoon tea in the Queens Room.

• Like 1

Great review. I am Elite plus on X, too, and loved the experience in April on board the Silhouette- after more than 4 years of exclusivly sailing with Cunard! For all the reasons already mentioned- esp. by eroller- here I agree with all you wrote- and Solent Richard!

I was hard pressed to find a silent and nice spot to read on board Silly- on board QM2, however,  so many spots to find peace and calm- they have canned backround music also- but much mor subdued!

QM2 is, indeed very unique!

I just came back from a cruise into the Fjords on board HAL´s Nieuw Statendam- boy - am I cured of HAL. Never again!

No table service in the really nice Dutch Cafe ( thing of Al Bacio without service) as well as no service in the Crow´s Nest- the place were either the Commodore Club ( Cunard) or the Sky Lounge ( X) would be!

A new ship is always nice to explore - but that one in my book is a failure! To dark- to loud- the Lido- the waiting area in front of the stations doubles as walkway to the aft deck...!

Back to Cunard in April next year!

I am on Celebrity Silhouette now, I am a great lover of Cunard; Celebrity and Cunard are chalk and cheese. I will be sailing home on QM2. After the pictures I am a bit nervous about our stops in Iceland. 😟

I did a very long cruise on Holland America' Prinsendam-loved it. They're all very different; mostly in good ways.

On 7/29/2019 at 11:19 AM, Windsurfboy said:

I wonder how many of the Embarkation issues are to do with people arriving earlier than instructed. 

When we arrived at Southampton two weeks ago, at 1200 as instructed the terminal was full, Cunard was boarding everyone so as to clear terminal. Creating problems for priority boarders arriving on time,  who got no priority for QG at security.  But if Cunard had turned away early arrivals they would be slated for that.  Can't win.

How often do we have queries from new cruisers about boarding times that are answered by the regulars on this forum with " Board any time you like, I did...………" 

I wonder how many of the Embarkation issues are to do with people arriving earlier than instructed. 

There's more to it than that. On our last trip we arrived at 3:30, an hour *after* our appointed time. The line was practically out the door. I was expecting to be able to waltz right on board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frankp01 said:

There's more to it than that. On our last trip we arrived at 3:30, an hour *after* our appointed time. The line was practically out the door. I was expecting to be able to waltz right on board.

I agree.  They are just poorly organized.  There are far bigger ships than what Cunard operates with far better embarkation processes.  On HARMONY OF THE SEAS, one of the largest ships in the world, it was one of the quickest and best embarkation processes I've ever experienced.  I think 16 minutes from drop-off to walking on the ship.  That has never happened at Cunard.  Pretty much every line I've sailed beats Cunard when it comes to embarkation.  Many lines have suggested or assigned arrival times just like Cunard does, but I don't think anyone really pays attention to that.  Cunard is certainly not alone in that regard.  

On 7/28/2019 at 9:55 AM, yhz123 said:

The captain, in an announcement, did acknowledge the extremely long wait, attributing it to the fact that they didn’t realize that the tide was going to change, and therefore the ship was either higher (or lower) in the water than they had expected. Again, poor people management from Cunard.

The captain of the ship didn't realize the tide was going to change?!?!? Near the Arctic Circle?!?!? Holy cow! Um, Captain, you might want to consider a career that doesn't involve the ocean if it doesn't occur to you that tides are a thing.

That said, thank you for the comparison. After going 23 years between cruises, we have gotten absolutely hooked on cruising  in the last five years. We've only sailed Princess and Celebrity in those years (including Iceland on Celebrity in June - reembarking was a bit slow due to the steepness of the ramp, but not at all bothersome). I appreciate the opportunity to learn about other lines.