Hawaii Port Calls

mcrcruiser

The options in Hawaii are vast so I would recommend you take some time to research the Hawaii Board under the Ports of Call section here. But that being said I will share some of our top choices from our four Hawaii cruises. 

Honolulu

Pearl Harbor is a great place to visit. The Arizona Memorial has been closed for repairs, but it will be open by the time you visit. Also located there is the USS Missouri which is very interesting to tour. The Punchbowl Memorial Cemetery is also very moving. 

Diamond Head - if you are in good physical shape you can hike to the top

Waikiki Beach - a famous spot to visit, although crowded, but fun for a beach day if you like and lined with hotels where you can dine and drink while people watching.

Royal Hawaiian Luau - Depending on your port time, this is a great place to schedule a luau. 

http://www.royal-hawaiianluau.com/

Kualoa Ranch where Jurassic Park was filmed has some amazing tours and can be combined with a tour of the North Shore of Oahu. 

Iolani Palace is also worth a visit if you are interested in the history of Hawaii. 

Hilo

Volcanoes National Park - a great place to visit if the current volcanic activity allows and it is open when you visit.

Panaewa Rainforest Zoo - A fun little zoo in Hilo with a tropical park like setting and lots of cool animals to see

Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden - A beautifulplace to spend some time - you will feel like you are lost in a tropical forest walking through the paths.

Hawaiian Vanilla Company - A cool place to visit, have their special lunch and tour and learn all about how they grow vanilla.

Lahaina

Lahaina is a great place to just spend the day walking around and exploring the town - it was a whaling village at one time and there is a lot to see and a lot of history there. It's also a good port to book a snorkeling or whale watching excursion if either interests you. Check out what is offered through Princess and then compare by doing a search of private vendors - there are many that go out of Lahaina and you can check out their ratings on TripAdvisor. We snorkeled and whale watched with Trilogy on one if their catamarans. 

Kauai

We generally rent a car in Kauai and that is my best recommendation if you are comfortable with driving here. It is a small island with basically one main road so you can see a lot in one day with a car. We like to travel North to the end of the road to Hanalei Beach - one of the most beautiful places. You can also visit the Fern Grotto and other scenic spots on the way in that direction. Heading south you can go to Poipu Beach and spend time there. Again, check out the tours offered by Princess and then do some checking on your own and you may find private vendors who can tailor something of specific interest for you.

in fact, renting a car is really a great thing to do at every port. We love the freedom it gives to create your own adventure. Just do some research and you will find plenty of options for scenic drives, beaches, points of interest to visit, etc. 

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 3

Anything you want. I have been there many times and am going again on Dec 3. There are tours you can purchase at every port or just go ashore and wander around yourself. Everyone likes different thing so it is difficult to give recommendations.

If you are specifically asking what I do, I just wander around the shops.

I would recommend you start by reviewing the Princess tours. There are many of them. Select which ones you may enjoy. Then you can decide to book with Princess, private tours.

If not interested in tours

Hilo has a nice hoppa on hoppa off bus just a short walk outside the pier entrance. Inexpensive.

Honolulu has public bus service near the pier to downtown Waikiki. The return bus, routes 19 and 20, is on Kuhio Ave.

In Nawiliwili, there is a private van tour that departs from the Anchor Cove shopping plaza, a short walk from the ship or you can take the free shuttle.

If you are going in whale season, December to March with peak season being February then Maui is the place to see them. They are all over the area. Book your whale watching trip well in advance. It is a very popular activity. 

What don't you do??? These ports are gorgeous with warm friendly people living in each area. The above member "KarateMom2" gave you some wonderful ideas. I will include the following:

Take a parasail trip in either Maui or Kona. There is a great company there that dominates the area and it is such a fun activity that won't take up too much of your day. 

Sample the food - the poke is delicious, pancakes and malasadas (donuts) are ridiculously good, and a plate lunch cannot be beat.  Spam musubi and/or lau-lau ... don't miss it. Great local beer is another treat. 

The coffee plantations are a fun visit if you have the time in Kona. 

Skip the zoo in Hilo _ it is depressing

8 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

What do you do at each port  ? We booked a Hawaii cruise  for 2020 

We are confused.  According to your quote "We have been to Hawaii many times but especially love the fact that  this time it will be on the newer HAL ship koningdam built in 2016 ", you should already have a good idea of what to do here.