Why Are These Cruises So expensive?

LewiLewi

On 12/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, ronbe65 said:

So many reasons why people pay double price.

Happy cruising!

Double price? Not even close. When you add in WiFi, not specialty dining costs, no soft drink costs the price is really similar to all the other mainstream lines.  

We figure $2500 - $3200 for 7 nights on any mainstream line for a balcony.  That's without a drink package, no WiFi, no specialty restaurants, no soft drinks. Just the cabin.

Mayan Sol 5 nights on the Scarlet Lady Aug 2 - 7 is $2300 for the Sea Terrace (non obstructed view). WiFi, Soft Drinks, All Meals included. 

Celebrity Cruises 6 nights on Celebrity Equinox in August is $2200 for a Verandah. With one perk. Say we select the drink package. Then there's WiFi, any Specialty Meals.  We paid $166 for WiFi on our last Celebrity Equinox cruise in Sept. 

On 12/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, ronbe65 said:

So many reasons why people pay double price.

Happy cruising!

Double price? Not even close. When you add in WiFi, not specialty dining costs, no soft drink costs the price is really similar to all the other mainstream lines.  

We figure $2500 - $3200 for 7 nights on any mainstream line for a balcony for 2 people.  That's without a drink package, no WiFi, no specialty restaurants, no soft drinks. Just the cabin.

Mayan Sol 5 nights on the Scarlet Lady Aug 2 - 7 is $2300 for the Sea Terrace (non obstructed view). WiFi, Soft Drinks, All Meals included. 

Celebrity Cruises 6 nights on Celebrity Equinox in August is $2200 for a Verandah. With one perk. Say we select the drink package. Then there's WiFi, any Specialty Meals.  We paid $166 for WiFi on our last Celebrity Equinox cruise in Sept.  Specialty Dinners are $35 - $75/pp on Celebrity.

The prices on Virgin are right in line with everyone else.  

Edited by creativegenius
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 4:57 PM, CruizinKittie40 said:

I would gladly pay whatever price for NO KIDS!!!!!!!!! finally!  (i'm a mother of 2, BTW)

You took the words right out of my mouth. Additionally, as someone who has been to almost 40 countries, and experienced everything from all luxury inclusives to a shared bathroom flat, I know the value of things in the industry. This cruise is adequately priced for what you get.

On 8/5/2019 at 1:39 PM, cruisin from vegas said:

They have awesome solo accommodations... much better than NCL and very price competitive.  They include, some drinks, WiFi, gratuities, all dining is included and a spa like no other.  Best of all is adults only!  As a solo traveling adult this is the best deal out there!!  Booking soon

Yes, yes, yes and yes!!! As a newly solo traveler, I was surprised to find I could sail for 5 days for just less than $1000. When the perks are added, including what appears to be very much upscale food, it works great for me. Needless to say, I just booked!

Wife and I booked a Balcony Room for a 5 day cruise in October.  With a night prior  and night after at Kimpton Epic downtown Miami, Two round trip from Boston airline tickets, and Bus tickets from Portsmouth, NH to Boston, the entire fare for us not including incidentals and eating in Miami. Less than $3,300 total.  We would pay similar to that on NCL, Carnival or any other line.  We wont be required to pay more in gratuities (we will tip extra as services are rendered), no paying for soda packages.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:22 PM, NH Cruisers said:

Wife and I booked a Balcony Room for a 5 day cruise in October.  With a night prior  and night after at Kimpton Epic downtown Miami, Two round trip from Boston airline tickets, and Bus tickets from Portsmouth, NH to Boston, the entire fare for us not including incidentals and eating in Miami. Less than $3,300 total.  We would pay similar to that on NCL, Carnival or any other line.  We wont be required to pay more in gratuities (we will tip extra as services are rendered), no paying for soda packages.

That is a great deal overall for sure.  It is important to note that October can be a pretty strong hurricane month some years but that is why they offer great pricing like that.  All in all we have booked a few cruises during that time and only once did we have to secure the house and travel out on a cruise at the same time!  That was crazy as our cruise departed two hours early to avoid the first bands of the hurricane.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 5:28 PM, LewiLewi said:

We have been on well over a hundred cruises. The short amount of time and the nothing special ports on this Scarlet Lady cruise ship don"t add up to the cost of these cruises.

Why would anyone pay this much for a short nothing cruise?

I thought the price was very reasonable when you consider all the extra things are included.  If the bar prices are even close to reasonable I believe you are going to come out with a much better value than the other mass market lines.  

I'm surprised it's not even more premium pricing given no kids. All AI resorts I've shopped for and stayed at that are adults only are always significantly more expensive than similar or same brand ones that allow families.  I think their pricing seems fair given all it includes.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:28 PM, LewiLewi said:

We have been on well over a hundred cruises. The short amount of time and the nothing special ports on this Scarlet Lady cruise ship don"t add up to the cost of these cruises.

Why would anyone pay this much for a short nothing cruise?

I think another interpretation of this thread's title --and perhaps more accurate-- would be:

I'd never spend that much money on this cruise concept!

Especially since these cruises offer far more that the "short nothing cruise" the OP characterizes.  

• Like 2

It's mostly just people who are determined not to like it because it doesn't cater specifically to their demographic, couldn't read that the website used to default to showing the rate per cabin instead of per person, and only looked at the prices of the first few sailings. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

It's mostly just people who are determined not to like it because it doesn't cater specifically to their demographic, couldn't read that the website used to default to showing the rate per cabin instead of per person, and only looked at the prices of the first few sailings. 

It's blown my mind a couple of times how mad people are at not being the intended customer base. It's not like they lack for choices. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 9:56 AM, perditax said:

It's blown my mind a couple of times how mad people are at not being the intended customer base. It's not like they lack for choices. 

Technically, i am not their "target base.'  being nearly 60 but hey, my kids still think i'm more fun  than their friends!!! i am looking forward to this cruise. I am keeping an open mind.  i'm going on one of the first cruises ( first week of April)  and i don't expect everything to be perfect. i just  expect a new experience. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Barnmom said:

Technically, i am not their "target base.'  being nearly 60 but hey, my kids still think i'm more fun  than their friends!!! i am looking forward to this cruise. I am keeping an open mind.  i'm going on one of the first cruises ( first week of April)  and i don't expect everything to be perfect. i just  expect a new experience. 

Wow you are a brave soul going on one of the first sailings but I'm still jealous. We waited till August to give them time to shake things down. Please do report back from the ship, can't wait to hear firsthand what you find. 

We're right behind you at 54 years young!  :)

I just booked a Single Insider cabin on a 5-day sailing on Dec. 6 from Miami and I'm quite pleased with the rate which worked out to be less than $200/day.  Cabin is just slightly larger than NCL's Studio cabins (99 sq. ft.) at 107 sq. ft.  I'm pleased that they have single cabins and I'm looking forward to this adventure.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The_0neuk said:

Why even bother posting in here

"You Kids Get Off My Lawn!" (shaking my fists angrily!)  That's what I heard when I read his original post.... 🙂  

But I do agree, why bother posting if you never intend to sail the line and especially with absolutely no context. Kinda sad to be that conservative. Life is an adventure. Not every adventure is awesome, but they're all worth exploring. 

2 hours ago, long cruiser said:

Good luck.I will never sail this line.They should stick with their airlines.

long cruiser

Good thing long cruiser figured that out now rather than after they boarded the ship. They would probably be walking around the deck with their fingers in their ears complaining that the music was too loud, even if it wasn't. Or covering their eyes because "they don't do THAT on Holland America". Sounds like you made the right decision for you AND the rest of us. 

After doing the math, this didn't seem particularly expensive for a balcony cabin. You have to keep in mind:

• The price is per cabin, not person
  • Tips are included
  • Soda, water, and basic tea and coffee are included
  • Wifi is included (I need to work usually, so $250-400 is pretty normal for an unlimited plan, and that's only for ONE of us, this cruise will give us free access for all devices)
  • All specialty restaurants are included (usually ends up costing us another $150-200)
  • Alcoholic drinks are cheaper. Compare a $5 beer on Virgin to $8 on Royal Caribbean
  • Currently I'm getting $200 in room credit too; that will cover all of our alcohol consumption for five nights

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 70KToM said:

After doing the math, this didn't seem particularly expensive for a balcony cabin. You have to keep in mind:

• The price is per cabin, not person
  • Tips are included
  • Soda, water, and basic tea and coffee are included
  • Wifi is included (I need to work usually, so $250-400 is pretty normal for an unlimited plan, and that's only for ONE of us, this cruise will give us free access for all devices)
  • All specialty restaurants are included (usually ends up costing us another $150-200)
  • Alcoholic drinks are cheaper. Compare a $5 beer on Virgin to $8 on Royal Caribbean
  • Currently I'm getting $200 in room credit too; that will cover all of our alcohol consumption for five nights

The $5 includes tip too. With the auto grat on RC a beer is $9.42