August 2019 Update: HAL Dry Docks, Charters and Groups onboard.

VMax1700

The second week of my 14 night Cruise on nieuw Statendam says there is a cruise for “the nation” (8-15 Dec) is this likely to be a big group that would have an impact on my cruise? Thanks

Edited by DebbieMacG

27 minutes ago, DebbieMacG said:

The second week of my 14 night Cruise on nieuw Statendam says there is a cruise for “the nation” (8-15 Dec) is this likely to be a big group that would have an impact on my cruise? Thanks

I suggest you contact someone at this site and ask how large the group will be - that way you'll have an idea of what you're dealing with.
https://nationcruise.com/

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Just now, ger_77 said:

I suggest you contact someone at this site and ask how large the group will be - that way you'll have an idea of what you're dealing with.
https://nationcruise.com/

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Thanks I did think of that but Final payment is tomorrow, so doubt I will get an answer that quick.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DebbieMacG said:

Thanks I did think of that but Final payment is tomorrow, so doubt I will get an answer that quick.

There is a phone number under the "Contact Us" - have you tried that?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

7 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

There is a phone number under the "Contact Us" - have you tried that?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Yes it just goes to an ansaphone. Thanks for the suggestion though. I’ve been trying to find out how large past cruises were, it seems to be a political theme as it talks about leading upto the electoral moment! I’m from Scotland so.....

It wont make a difference if it’s not a large group but if it is, who knows!

On 8/31/2019 at 9:10 AM, DebbieMacG said:

We were on a similar cruise on the Oosterdam in late November 2016, and for the last week (it was a Collector's Cruise) the "Nation" group came onboard for 7 days, cruising to similar ports.   The Nation is the Nation Magazine, a liberal political group.  There were about 250 members on the ship.   They did have an impact on the MDR seating because they wanted all members to be sitting together, even in fixed dining on the 2nd level of the MDR.   Considering that this cruise was only a month after the 2016 presidential election, the mood of the group was rather somber.  

13 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

We were on a similar cruise on the Oosterdam in late November 2016, and for the last week (it was a Collector's Cruise) the "Nation" group came onboard for 7 days, cruising to similar ports.   The Nation is the Nation Magazine, a liberal political group.  There were about 250 members on the ship.   They did have an impact on the MDR seating because they wanted all members to be sitting together, even in fixed dining on the 2nd level of the MDR.   Considering that this cruise was only a month after the 2016 presidential election, the mood of the group was rather somber.  

Thanks for your reply. HAL contacted me and told me they are all on late seating dinner, I’m not, so that won’t impact me, but of course would others, at the moment they have 230 booked. 

We decided based on other feedback to just stick with our cruise and paid final payment yesterday, we are excited for our first HAL experience!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DebbieMacG said:

Thanks for your reply. HAL contacted me and told me they are all on late seating dinner, I’m not, so that won’t impact me, but of course would others, at the moment they have 230 booked. 

We decided based on other feedback to just stick with our cruise and paid final payment yesterday, we are excited for our first HAL experience!

We are not picky what people wear to dinner.   This Nations group insisted on wearing their magazine's plain logo $6 quality tee-shirts with no collars to dinner, even on Gala nights.   The maitre d' said he didn't want to offend such a large group by asking them to wear at least a collared shirt.   Also, this cruise was in the 2nd week of December.  There was non-religious Christmas music playing on the PA systems in the public areas, music like Frosty, Rudolph, etc for the first 14 days of this 21 day collector's Cruise.  It was not all holiday music, but intermixed.  The day after this group boarded the ship, the Christmas music stopped and was replaced by all generic rock-n-roll.   The front desk said they had some complaints, but we were on the ship for 14 days before this group boarded and no one complained.   A coincidence ????   Maybe, maybe not !! 

I think if I’d have been on that cruise I’d have been asking for the Christmas music to be switched off after two weeks, there only so much you can hear, I like it AT Christmas, the first two weeks of December not so much. 

Thanks for the info 😀

22 hours ago, DebbieMacG said:

I think if I’d have been on that cruise I’d have been asking for the Christmas music to be switched off after two weeks, there only so much you can hear, I like it AT Christmas, the first two weeks of December not so much. 

Thanks for the info 😀

The generic holiday music was not continuous.  There was a Frosty the Snowman type of song interspersed between 5 or 6 contemporary rock-n-roll selections.   That was acceptable and not overbearing.   With the holiday decorations, it added a nice holiday touch to the cruise.   In the last week of the 21 day collector's cruise, all of the holiday music stopped.    

23 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I was thinking about this also. Volendam and Zuiderdam are both scheduled for Freeport.

Me 3!  Probably too much to have hoped for that Volendam would have AC working appropriately for Amazon!:)