Itinerary change with no notice, Cruise Line KNEW the itinerary would be changed

I couldn't afford to lose 8 thousand dollars. That is like a third of the new (used) car that I want to buy. The post sounded okay, until the not going at all and the cost of the cruise. I think I'm just surprised at people anymore. 

2 hours ago, MermaidPrincessSusi said:

Where would you suggest? These are cruise boards! If not here, where then? Are these boards only for satisfied customers??? Why is it called Cruise CRITIC! I can criticize a Cruise Line if I wish! And I know how fast these threads drop! I am not a newbie to message boards! I just wanted to post a problem and vent about RCI!  And I did. I will also take my complaint to the Social Media pages for RCI! 

This thread has certainly set a record for overuse of explanation points.  

• Like 1

Coco Cay was never even on the original itinerary.  The only changes were switching St. Thomas to San Juan and shortening the Nassau stop.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Sun

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

4:30 PM

Mon

Cruising

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Basseterre, St. Kitts & Nevis

8:00 AM

5:00 PM

Thu

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

San Juan, Puerto Rico

7:00 AM

4:00 PM

2:00 PM

Fri

Cruising

Sat

Nassau, Bahamas

10:00 AM

11:00 AM

7:00 PM

6:30 PM

Sun

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

6:15 AM

I have no doubt the itinerary was updated on Royal Caribbean's site long ago, and anyone booking direct would have seen the changes.  The October and on itineraries that were changed last week are already fully updated on the RCI site.  I have no idea why the travel agent would have sold an old itinerary with a port that was never scheduled.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Right?

I am no longer able to believe the OP  and believe we are being trolled - school starts Monday  🤔

I am a 65 year old retired, mobility challenged woman and don't attend school! I know exactly what you are insinuating with your "school starts Monday" remark. School actually starts at different times for different schools all over the country, but you are focused on YOUR little corner of the country! My husband is also disabled, we are both retired and we love to cruise. I also caretake my mother at least one week out of every month we are home. I alternate weeks with my siblings and I have to travel by train from Colorado to California to go. It is something I gladly do, because we are very blessed to still have my mom with us! It is not easy, but we do it because we love her! I have to go there in 3 weeks and we thought it would be fun and that we could see some friends in St. Thomas and see the new Coco Cay waterpark on a quick 7 day cruise! But what we got was a problem from RCI instead! We had to make a choice and decided that for us, it would be better to stay home. Three times a year, we take a cruise, all scheduled long in advance due to the type of cruises they are! ! Those months, I cannot go to my mom's and my siblings cover the extra time! They also travel and I help cover the weeks they cannot come. 

It matters not if YOU believe me, you are a nameless, faceless person on a board about cruising! I had a situation happen that I chose to share on this board because it is about cruising and what happened to us. I just wanted to share it here and quite frankly, I am very surprised by some of the ports that have transpired from my initial post! 😲 Some people have been quite heloful, other's, not so much...

This situation happened and I will go to Social Media to report it on RCI pages! It may make more of an impact there!  Since these boards seem to have people insulting other's posts, I don't think I will be originating any more threads, unless it is very important. I definitely will not post on RCI threads, since we do not intend to cruise with them again! I will have no reason to offer any opinion on RCI in the future. Other than that, I may or may not participate in other forums about other Cruise Lines on these boards again! 

If you want a screen shot of my boarding documents and our original booking with our TA, I will be happy to show it to you with names and other personal info blocked out when I can figure out how to do that. I am not very tech friendly, but can learn.

I certainly had no expectations of being called a troll or insulted here. I just wanted people to know what happened! We will make the best of the time we would have been on the cruise! Like I said, I would love to be on a ship, but not in this situation! Sometimes people do stand up for what they believe! Whether or not you believe it, is inconsequential to me, I KNOW it happened and does happen in other cases. I tried to be lighthearted about what we would do instead, since we are not going to be in the ship. I guess it came across the wrong way. 

Have a good evening.

Right?

I am no longer able to believe the OP  and believe we are being trolled - school starts Monday  🤔

I am a 65 year old retired, mobility challenged woman and don't attend school! I know exactly what you are insinuating with your "school starts Monday" remark. School actually starts at different times for different schools all over the country, but you are focused on YOUR little corner of the country! My husband is also disabled, we are both retired and we love to cruise. I also caretake my mother at least one week out of every month we are home. I alternate weeks with my siblings and I have to travel by train from Colorado to California to go. It is something I gladly do, because we are very blessed to still have my mom with us! It is not easy, but we do it because we love her! I have to go there in 3 weeks and we thought it would be fun and that we could see some friends in St. Thomas and see the new Coco Cay waterpark on a quick 7 day cruise! But what we got was a problem from RCI instead! We had to make a choice and decided that for us, it would be better to stay home. Three times a year, we take a cruise, all scheduled long in advance due to the type of cruises they are! ! Those months, I cannot go to my mom's and my siblings cover the extra time! They also travel and I help cover the weeks they cannot come. 

It matters not if YOU believe me, you are a nameless, faceless person on a board about cruising! I had a situation happen that I chose to share on this board because it is about cruising and what happened to us. I just wanted to share it here and quite frankly, I am very surprised by some of the ports that have transpired from my initial post! 😲 Some people have been quite heloful, other's, not so much...

This situation happened and I will go to Social Media to report it on RCI pages! It may make more of an impact there!  Since these boards seem to have people insulting other's posts, I don't think I will be originating any more threads, unless it is very important. I definitely will not post on RCI threads, since we do not intend to cruise with them again! I will have no reason to offer any opinion on RCI in the future. Other than that, I may or may not participate in other forums about other Cruise Lines on these boards again! 

If you want a screen shot of my boarding documents and our original booking with our TA, I will be happy to show it to you with names and other personal info blocked out when I can figure out how to do that. I am not very tech friendly, but can learn.

I certainly had no expectations of being called a troll or insulted here. I just wanted people to know what happened! We will make the best of the time we would have been on the cruise! Like I said, I would love to be on a ship, but not in this situation! Sometimes people do stand up for what they believe! Whether or not you believe it,

1 hour ago, nalrudaini said:

A quick visit to this sailing's Roll Call will show that the change was made on May 1st.  There were people who booked AFTER that date and knew of the change.

If I booked with a travel agent, then the TA will be responsible for any screw ups. I hired them for a reason: to facilitate my vacations and trips. So I find it hard to see why you are shaming the cruise line and forgiving your TA.

is inconsequential to me, I KNOW it happened and does happen in other cases. I tried to be lighthearted about what we would do instead, since we are not going to be in the ship. I guess it came across the wrong way. 

Have a good evening.

Right?

I certainly had no expectations of being called a troll or insulted here. I just wanted people to know what happened! We will make the best of the time we would have been on the cruise! Like I said, I would love to be on a ship, but not in this situation! Sometimes people do stand up for what they believe! Whether or not you believe it,

A quick visit to this sailing's Roll Call will show that the change was made on May 1st.  There were people who booked AFTER that date and knew of the change.

If I booked with a travel agent, then the TA will be responsible for any screw ups. I hired them for a reason: to facilitate my vacations and trips. So I find it hard to see why you are shaming the cruise line and forgiving your TA.

is inconsequential to me, I KNOW it happened and does happen in other cases. I tried to be lighthearted about what we would do instead, since we are not going to be in the ship. I guess it came across the wrong way. 

Have a good evening.

Right?

Have a good evening.

1 hour ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Right?

2 hours ago, nalrudaini said:

Have a good evening.

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I have no doubt that your TA is going to blame RCI.  She certainly doesn't want to take responsibility for failing to inform you.  TA's and cruisers have known of this issue for much longer than you say you have been booked.  How in the world your TA hasn't been informed is completelely inexplicable.  

I suppose, this is possibly true! It would be a first for her, but not impossible to perhaps beloved that is what happened! I just know when hubby came home with the receipt/confimation, it showed that we booked the Cruise with the original ports! When we got the Cruise docs they showed the new itinerary! The receipt/confirmation was from the TA's computer, so I just assumed it printed out what RCI showed as the itinerary...In the future, I am going to definitely be much more proactive about checking the cruises Hubby books, BEFORE they are paid for....I usually let him take care of the bookings...

31 minutes ago, MermaidPrincessSusi said:

I certainly had no expectations of being called a troll or insulted here. I just wanted people to know what happened! We will make the best of the time we would have been on the cruise! Like I said, I would love to be on a ship, but not in this situation! Sometimes people do stand up for what they believe! Whether or not you believe it, is inconsequential to me, I KNOW it happened and does happen in other cases. I tried to be lighthearted about what we would do instead, since we are not going to be in the ship. I guess it came across the wrong way. 

Have a good evening.

46 minutes ago, Dawniepoo said:

The decision to throw away 8 grand is a classic example of biting off your nose to spite your face. This actually pains me if it is true. 

It is true that we lost that much. We are blessed financially in life... to be able to afford the life we have. It pains me to lose the money, because It is a LOT, but we talked about the circumstances and made our decision based on a number of factors! That is as simple as I can put it! 

How do I get rid of all those duplicate posts? When I posted the one in answer to the above post, it showed that it did not post and I clicked on submit reply again several times. It kept showing that I needed to submit reply. I don't know how to delete all the duplicate posts. Argh! Sorry...I am not used to posting on these boards. It has been quite a while since I have posted. 😕

2 minutes ago, MermaidPrincessSusi said:

How do I get rid of all those duplicate posts? When I posted the one in answer to the above post, it showed that it did not post and I clicked on submit reply again several times. It kept showing that I needed to submit reply. I don't know how to delete all the duplicate posts. Argh! Sorry...I am not used to posting on these boards. It has been quite a while since I have posted. 😕

On a pc place the cursor anywhere in the post to reveal "Report post" in the upper right of the post. Click the link and ask that the post be removed because it is a duplicate.

On a mobile tap the flag in the upper right of the post to report it.

4 minutes ago, MermaidPrincessSusi said:

You can't delete them yourself.  If you hit the "notification" symbol in the upper right corner, in the pop-up box, type in, "please delete my duplicate posts"

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

On a pc place the cursor anywhere in the post to reveal "Report post" in the upper right of the post. Click the link and ask that the post be removed because it is a duplicate.

Thank you!!! I am on a tablet! 

4 minutes ago, MermaidPrincessSusi said:

Thank you!!! I am on a tablet! 

9 minutes ago, broberts said:

Thank you! I have reported all of the repeated posts and left just one... Thanks for telling me how to do that. And thanks to Merion_Mom too. 💙

1 hour ago, timf2001 said:

Coco Cay was never even on the original itinerary.  The only changes were switching St. Thomas to San Juan and shortening the Nassau stop.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Sun

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

4:30 PM

Mon

Cruising

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Basseterre, St. Kitts & Nevis

8:00 AM

5:00 PM

Thu

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

San Juan, Puerto Rico

7:00 AM

4:00 PM

2:00 PM

Fri

Cruising

Sat

Nassau, Bahamas

10:00 AM

11:00 AM

7:00 PM

6:30 PM

Sun

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

6:15 AM

I have no doubt the itinerary was updated on Royal Caribbean's site long ago, and anyone booking direct would have seen the changes.  The October and on itineraries that were changed last week are already fully updated on the RCI site.  I have no idea why the travel agent would have sold an old itinerary with a port that was never scheduled.

If you want a screen shot of my boarding documents and our original booking with our TA, I will be happy to show it to you with names and other personal info blocked out when I can figure out how to do that. 

Please do post a copy of the documents the TA sent you that showed the old itinerary including coco cay as a port.

Take a picture of the documents on the tsblet you are on, cross out the identifying info and then attach it here.

Thanks.

Edited by tennislvr8
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MermaidPrincessSusi said:

Not throwing a fit, just angry with the way RCI does business! Already cancelled the cruise, because we wanted a particular itinerary for particular reasons, (seeing friends is a main one!) and not the one we got. We also cancelled the cruise for other reasons having to do with how RCI handles their business. We do not approve of what they do. It's our bailiwick! We do not support companies that do business this way. Unfortunately, we could not do anything about the $$ this time, but we will never do business with them again and we will do our best to persuade as many of our friends and fellow cruisers to do the same! I will post on Social Media as well! 

Now I can sleep in tomorrow and not have to wake up to a 5 AM alarm clock to get ready for a flight to Florida! 😴😴 I can swim in my own pool without hundreds of other people and we can relax without waiting in line while thousands of other people try to cram into two banks of elevators!!! 😂😂 I can use my one home elevator (we are disabled and had one put in for that reason) without other people trying to cram in there with me!!! I can eat what I like without having my meals with hundreds of others having conversations at the same time, with that constant steady low roar of voices. (And I won't feel the anger that would have welled up in me when we docked at Puerto Rico instead of St. Thomas and when we bypassed Coco Cay!) I can go to the local water park if I want to enjoy a wave pool with hundreds of other people, and I can enjoy my videos and photos of past cruises that I enjoyed! It's sad not to be on a ship, 😢 I do love being at sea, 🌊🌊🚢 🌊🌊 but....we'll be on a month long cruise in a few1 months, so I am okay for now! 👌

I don't feel punished! I feel relieved that I don't have to deal anymore with a company so inept, that they run ships that have a defective propulsion system that they plan to TAKE ON A TRANSATLANTIC CRUISE with one propulsion system Pod not functioning, to go into Drydock NOT UNTIL NEXT MARCH!!! They will be running a ship with a propulsion defect until next March!!! I am happy NOT to be on that ship! 

And a company so inept they cannot post itinerary changes in a timely fashion. It's unacceptable! They may have taken our money this time, but they will NEVER see a dime of ours again and we talk to many cruisers about what cruise lines to avoid also! We cruise 3 times a year and are at the highest level loyalty program with several other cruise lines and are just as happy to keep cruising with them with no problems...We can live without RCI!

I am just happy to have read Cruise Critic and found that thread about the propulsion issue! One Pod not working at all! Good luck and GOD Bless to all those who plan to go on the transatlantic cruise on that ship next year! What if they lose another Pod, or both? They will have to be towed into Europe! I like cruise lines who FIX problems when they have them! They may have to take ships out of service, and cancel cruises, but at least you know you are running on a full engine!!! There are so many cruise ships out there now and more being built everyday! They just can't stand to lose a dime if they can run a ship with a defective engine!!!  That does not give me great faith in how RCI operates...It actually gives me pause to think about how awfully they run their business and how half-assed they run their ships with a propulsion unit out! MAYBE it's not dangerous, but it still gives me pause to think about being on a ship that has a less than 100% engine system! 😲

I am grateful for Cruise Critic for keeping me aware of issues! Now, I will have to check them everyday to see what is happening with my favorite cruise lines! I won't ever need to come back to RCI boards, thankfully.

Troll on, troll on.  most amusing thing I read all day

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StolidCruiser said:

New user because couldn't remember the password of a family-held account and now wants their own to rant about their choice to forgo $8K over (at best) an itinerary change or (at worst) a clueless TA after having taken 50+ cruises (but not on this line) never experiencing something look like this before. 

Yeah, it all adds up.  I give credit to those responding with sincerity about how this story only makes the OP seem foolish instead of righteously indignant (except for the lone usual corporations-are-evil muppet).

Summer is almost over and school will be back in session.   Thankfully.

Believe what you want! I am thankful for the useful posts that many have taken time to write! We are going back to the TA tomorrow and find out what hapoened! Many of you make sense. It would seem right that RCI would change the itinerary sooner than a few weeks before the cruise! We will get to the bottom of it. If it is our TA, then we will have to take a good look at that situation! I will make sure she sees the information here. If other TAs knew, she should have! At best, she did not do her homework and did not take the time to doublecheck! At worst, she knew, but booked it anyway! Either way, if it is our TA, we need to remedy this situation right away, before we book anymore trips. But, truly in our booking any kind of trip with her in the past we have not had a problem. She has been that good! 😊

I don't understand why we got a print out of the original itinerary! I suppose that could have come from her files on the computer and NOT the official RCI booking...At any rate, we will be checking in with her tomorrow. I still am okay with our decision not to go. We would have NOT booked the cruise if the new itinerary had shown up. We are not happy eating the cost, but after a long discussion pro and con, we decided what was right for us in our situation. 

Thank you to all who posted helpful tips and posts! I appreciate them. Our TA will be getting a visit from us tomorrow. I will let you all know what the outcome is.

For those who believe this was a troll post, I have nothing to say except that you will believe what you want! 

44 minutes ago, Maverick61 said:

Troll on, troll on.  most amusing thing I read all day

So happy to know you find someone else's problem with a cruise line so amusing! I am still always amazed at how nasty people can be.  My mother always told me when I was a young kid, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!" I guess not everyone learned that, or people just are not as nice these days. ...SMH....

Thank you OP for Posting, even though I think you might violate the community Guidelines with Setting up an account for just this. 

It´s the Weekend and threads like this are what a Weekend Needs - some great Entertainment. It will even get better once our resident RCI haters Show up in full force to throw around the "chearleader" word.

Unfortunately for you, your Goal won´t be met. You won´t put a dent in RCI´s pocket book and you won´t Change peoples minds About RCI. You will get some that will agree with you, but that´s because they´ve been anti RCI anyway.

For the rest of us your Posts won´t Change a Thing.

As a Business you have to realize it´s sometimes better to not have certain customers and I think RCI is well off with you not going on the cruise and going the other way in the future.

After reading all your Posts with much amusement you might want to step away from the Keyboard for some time, cool off and rethink, as so far those Posts make you look like a fool. Bu then again it´s entertaining, so Maybe not.

Oh yeah and please recommend you to your TA, they could sell you a cruise from me that doesn´t exist, I would make sure to upset you enough, so I can Keep the Money and you happily stay home.😎 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MermaidPrincessSusi said:

So happy to know you find someone else's problem with a cruise line so amusing! I am still always amazed at how nasty people can be.  My mother always told me when I was a young kid, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!" I guess not everyone learned that, or people just are not as nice these days. ...SMH....

Have you followed your mothers advice with the OP and with this post?

21 minutes ago, 123funcruiser said:

Have you followed your mothers advice with the OP and with this post?

Yes, I believe I have! I am not attacking anyone personally. I had a complaint about a company and described it and that it made me angry that they were incompetent.  This is a board for posting about experiences with Cruise Line companies, is it not? I never insulted any one person at RCI.

I also did not attack you or anyone personally with any nasty words or insulting statements. I simply stated that it makes me "happy" that you find someone else's problems with a cruise line so amusing.  My remark was made in general about how nasty some people can be and it still amazes me. (Though at my age, I should know better...)

And that ends my interaction with those who have not posted a good tip for resolving this or a way to find out if it indeed was our TA and not RCI! I am open to finding out if our TA made a HUGE mistake this time or if it was RCI who messed up! I am open to helpful posts, but done with posts that are not. 

Edited by MermaidPrincessSusi
Spelling, thank you autocorrect!