18 year old niece sailing with us. Notarized authorization required?

We are bringing our 18 year old niece with us on our upcoming March 2020 cruise (closed loop Western Caribbean from Galveston on the Liberty).  She will have her passport.  We have two connecting interior staterooms.  (She is in the stateroom with my wife and two of our kids.)

The RCCL booking agent wasn't sure if she needs a notarized authorization from her parents allowing her to sail with us but figured it was better safe than sorry.  I'd rather know for sure so I can let my sister know if she needs to get notarized authorization.

I figured some of you Cruise Critic folks would know.

Thanks,

Dan

15 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

We are bringing our 18 year old niece with us on our upcoming March 2020 cruise (closed loop Western Caribbean from Galveston on the Liberty).  She will have her passport.  We have two connecting interior staterooms.  (She is in the stateroom with my wife and two of our kids.)

The RCCL booking agent wasn't sure if she needs a notarized authorization from her parents allowing her to sail with us but figured it was better safe than sorry.  I'd rather know for sure so I can let my sister know if she needs to get notarized authorization.

I figured some of you Cruise Critic folks would know.

Thanks,

Dan

Don't know if it's necessary, but as you stated, better safe than sorry.  I would also suggest that you and your wife be given permission to make medical decisions if necessary.  Happy sailing.

Sea ya!

17 minutes ago, CORKY_Q said:

I would also suggest that you and your wife be given permission to make medical decisions if necessary.  Happy sailing.

Sea ya!

Thank you.  I forgot about this part.  That alone makes it worth them going through the trouble of providing notarized authorization.  Just in case, heaven forbid, something would happen requiring my wife and I to make medical decisions on her behalf.

Dan

At 18 the medical power of attorney may have to come from the 18 yr old herself, not the parents. Parents would be medical decision makers as next of kin but would not have to give permission to treat, as at 18 she is considered emancipated.

18 year old is an adult.  Their signature is binding.  They can do what they want including travel.  They can get their own medical treatment.  They can buy a house.  They can buy a car.  They are an adult.  (so no letter needed because parents don't have a say in this manner)

Thanks all.  I appreciate the knowledge and glad to know that nothing is REQUIRED for her to travel with us. 

Glad I started this thread because it's brought up some things that I didn't think of, mainly medical treatment.  In case she is incapacitated in some way while with us that would keep her from being able to make her own medical decisions, (i.e. concussion or worse) is there a form she should/could fill out and get notarized allowing us the decision making authority?   I don't want to overthink this, but I also want to have all of our bases covered.  Thanks.

Dan

By the way, this is the policy as stated on RCCL's website. (copied below)  It appears that since she is in the same cabin as my 44 year old wife that she is fine.?  However, what if she were 15 and not from our immediate family.  Would RCCL let her sail with us without her parents notarized consent?   Sure, at 18 she is legally an adult in the U.S., but RCCL seems to lump all those under 21 into the same bucket.

-Dan

For voyages originating in North America:
No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

5 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

By the way, this is the policy as stated on RCCL's website. (copied below)  It appears that since she is in the same cabin as my 44 year old wife that she is fine.?  However, what if she were 15 and not from our immediate family.  Would RCCL let her sail with us without her parents notarized consent?   Sure, at 18 she is legally an adult in the U.S., but RCCL seems to lump all those under 21 into the same bucket.

-Dan

For voyages originating in North America:
No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

That is because RCI will not let anyone under 21 book their own cabin, with the exceptions noted. Otherwise, when sailing with a minor who you are not the guardian or parent of you would need a letter from the parent/guardian allowing their travel with you. If your niece were under 18, you would still need the letter/permission.   18 is an adult as far as not needing parental permission, but under 21 cannot drink or book a cabin ( except with waived exceptions you posted above).  You're mixing up being able to book vs being able to sail.

Edited by BND

Just now, BND said:

That is because RCI will not let anyone under 21 book their own cabin, with the exceptions noted. Otherwise, when sailing with a minor who you are not the guardian or parent of you would need a letter from the parent/guardian allowing their travel with you.  18 is an adult as far as not needing parental permission, but under 21 cannot drink or book a cabin ( except with waived exceptions you posted above).  You're mixing up being able to book vs being able to sail.

Thank you.  Just being extra cautious, as I don't want to show up to port and have anyone denied.

Dan