Baltic Currencies

edhopper

We are on the QV to the Baltic this month. Ports are Oslo, Visby, Tallinn, Gdansk, Klaipeda and St. Petersberg.

So I have a question for Baltic veterans. What currencies to take. From our reading it looks like a credit card will be fine in Oslo and Visby. But might need cash for some of the other ports. (mainly for small shops or eats) We have read that we can use Euros in Tallinn and Klaipeda, but need zloty for Poland. (Russia will be all tours and we don't plan on buying anything).

Any and all advice and experiences is appreciated.

Thanks

We've done 2 Baltic cruises (about 6 years ago and 4 years ago). The first time I took maybe £20-£30 of around 7 or 8 different currencies and I ended up bringing all of it back (and I do mean all of it). So the second time we never bothered and were fine.

Pretty much every cafe etc takes cards and most likely contactless as well. However, we did not go to Poland, but I've just read an article that says 9 out of 10 points of sale terminals in Poland are contactless.

As for you reading you can use the Euro in Tallin and Klaipeda - that's rather like saying you have read you can use the pound in London !!

Sorry but unless things have changed dramatically in the last 2 years having been to Poland and visited Gdansk would always take a small amount of Zloty. Unless you have no intention of buying a can of pop from a shop or an ice cream then you might be OK if purchasing small items or souvenirs from shops but dont be surprised  if they refuse your card if its only for a small item at low cost. I am amazed at how many shops, usually small independent, in the UK still will not accept cards of any kind unless your purchase is over £5. Also you have to be aware of what charges your debit card/credit card charge for use abroad. 

Ideally you need Zloty for Poland, lots of shops and cafes will take cards but not all. Gdansk is a beautiful city, I am assuming you are docking at Gdynia? we got an early train into Gdansk which is about 20 min ride, we quite liked walking around Gdynia which has a lot of history too.

We had a few roubles in small denominations, and found that these were needed in restrooms (especially if they were managed by the entrance) and smaller shops. As we had some over, they were spent in the duty free shop by our berth in St Petersburg, which we found very well stocked with good prices, especially vodka. Would do the same again!

13 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Ideally you need Zloty for Poland, lots of shops and cafes will take cards but not all. Gdansk is a beautiful city, I am assuming you are docking at Gdynia? we got an early train into Gdansk which is about 20 min ride, we quite liked walking around Gdynia which has a lot of history too.

Yes, we are in Gdynia and will take the train. So we will need Zloty for that too.