Beer and the UBP

ThxMomnDad

So NCL has a list online of all of the drinks that you can get with the Ultimate Beverage Package. It has around 18 beers and ciders on it. Does that mean that if I go to the District Brew House (I'm sailing on the Escape in October), that I have to pay for any of the beers I order that are not one of those 18? The District Brew House has a few dozen beers on their menu.

You may find a few over the $15 limit, but not many...enjoy...and remember, you only pay the difference plus 20% if it is over $15...they also pour some good strong liquor drinks there too.  

• Like 2

Beers at District Brew House are included with your drink package, as long as they are under the $15 mark. If they are over you just pay the difference. I'm looking forward to trying out a bunch of them on the Escape in a couple weeks!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThxMomnDad said:

So NCL has a list online of all of the drinks that you can get with the Ultimate Beverage Package. It has around 18 beers and ciders on it. Does that mean that if I go to the District Brew House (I'm sailing on the Escape in October), that I have to pay for any of the beers I order that are not one of those 18? The District Brew House has a few dozen beers on their menu.

I wouldn't worry about it. I spent a lot of time in DBH last July on the Escape and never had to pay any extra.

Of course I didn't try every beer, but I did try a bunch of them and never had to pay.

It's an awesome venue with music at night and, as DAWG said, there's a full bar for other cocktails too.

I was the only beer drinker (also the only male) in my group of 6 and they would still join me for a pre dinner drink.

Comfortable seating and great ocean views. Looking forward to it again on the Encore in January.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bkrickles1 said:

I wouldn't worry about it. I spent a lot of time in DBH last July on the Escape and never had to pay any extra.

Of course I didn't try every beer, but I did try a bunch of them and never had to pay.

It's an awesome venue with music at night and, as DAWG said, there's a full bar for other cocktails too.

I was the only beer drinker (also the only male) in my group of 6 and they would still join me for a pre dinner drink.

Comfortable seating and great ocean views. Looking forward to it again on the Encore in January.

No doubt, it was one of my favorite places on The Escape for sure.  

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

No doubt, it was one of my favorite places on The Escape for sure.  

Yep, it was one of my go to spots before dinner while I waited for all the slow poke women (wife, daughter, nieces and cousin) in my group to get ready. Lmao!

The other spot was on the Waterfront at the 5'oclock Somewhere bar. Just a great spot in the late afternoon/early evening.

8 hours ago, ThxMomnDad said:

Any beer under $15 is included with your package. With any beer over $15 you get a $15 credit toward the cost and pay the gratuity on the balance only.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

there's a full bar for other cocktails too.

It's not a total full bar. Pretty decent setup, but limited to a smaller number of liquors than other bars - usually only one or two of each type with some of the lesser known liquors missing and not as varied amount of mixers. They do have a few DBH specific liquor drinks. So if someone's really particular about their liquor drinks they might have to walk to one of the other bars on 8. 

I only know because they didn't have the stuff for one or two of my go-to's so I had to ask them what they did have. 

45 minutes ago, davy jones said:

Never been on Escape.  I am now curious about their beer menu and what beers would be over $15, even at inflated cruise prices.

From my research (and when it comes to beer, I do my research!), it appears there are only 3 beers that break the $15 mark and they are all from Chimay (the Grande Reserve, the Tripel and the Rouge). All are $19.95.

Edited by ThxMomnDad

1 hour ago, ThxMomnDad said:

From my research (and when it comes to beer, I do my research!), it appears there are only 3 beers that break the $15 mark and they are all from Chimay (the Grande Reserve, the Tripel and the Rouge). All are $19.95.

You are more into your beer than I am.  I avoid beers that come in 16oz aluminum bottles.  In my part of PA, the go to beer is Yuengling Lager, which is (IMO) the nectar of the gods.  I try others if they are not too unusual.  Yuengling is not offered on cruise ships, but I am still hopeful.  On my Breakaway cruises, I pick a beer of the day.  I took a 14 day cruise and ran out of beers that I would drink.  

With the beverage package, I could see me taking a European tour in the Caribbean.

7 minutes ago, davy jones said:

You are more into your beer than I am.  I avoid beers that come in 16oz aluminum bottles.  In my part of PA, the go to beer is Yuengling Lager, which is (IMO) the nectar of the gods.  I try others if they are not too unusual.  Yuengling is not offered on cruise ships, but I am still hopeful.  On my Breakaway cruises, I pick a beer of the day.  I took a 14 day cruise and ran out of beers that I would drink.  

With the beverage package, I could see me taking a European tour in the Caribbean.

Oh yes. My wife and I are big craft beer drinkers, and we love trying different beers. There are so many to choose from at the DBH. We'll get our money's worth from the UBP!!!