Bliss Pacific Coastal (LATE) Boarding Time

tlc1972

I'm booked on the Bliss for a 6-day coastal trip from Vancouver to LA and just noticed today that the boarding time on my e-docs is 7:00 pm. That's right: PM

I have never experienced such a late boarding time and now faced with what to do with my crew, which includes two who are a bit mobile-challenged. Walking around downtown Vancouver won't be an option, so any suggestions other than a very late check out from the hotel? 

I also have to admit that I'm frustrated with the late boarding time. NCL just got away without having to deal with a lunch and, in some cases, even dinner as I imagine a number of guests will probably eat before boarding. I mean, the muster drill alone would cut into dinner time...no?

Quick update: I reached out to NCL for more details. Probably should have done that before posting.

According to the NCL rep, we are able to board earlier, starting at noon. She's baffled why our e-docs are reading much later, but reassured me that this is an error. Regardless of the late sailing time (as pointed out by @www3traveler), she insisted that boarding begins in time for lunch.

I should be receiving a call/email from Haven concierge at the 45-day mark, so will re-confirm with them at that time.

• Like 2

Thanks for this info.  I was wondering about the boarding time as well.  Last year on the Coastal cruise, even with the late departure time, we boarded at the normal times and had the afternoon and evening on the ship in Vancouver.

2 hours ago, tlc1972 said:

I'm booked on the Bliss for a 6-day coastal trip from Vancouver to LA and just noticed today that the boarding time on my e-docs is 7:00 pm. That's right: PM

I have never experienced such a late boarding time and now faced with what to do with my crew, which includes two who are a bit mobile-challenged. Walking around downtown Vancouver won't be an option, so any suggestions other than a very late check out from the hotel? 

I also have to admit that I'm frustrated with the late boarding time. NCL just got away without having to deal with a lunch and, in some cases, even dinner as I imagine a number of guests will probably eat before boarding. I mean, the muster drill alone would cut into dinner time...no?

We are on the Bliss Pacific Coastal on September 30 - October 6, 2019. We have a rollcall going which includes some info regarding late embarcation. Click on the link below. Come join our rollcall too.

Canada Place cruise pier can't handle 4 larger ships so it is believed that, per the port cruise schedules, that the Bliss will slide into the space that the Jewel vacates around 5 pm.

And as mentioned, the Bliss can't leave until low tide to get under the bridge

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2569414-ncl-bliss-6-nights-pacific-northwest-september-302019/

35 minutes ago, INDIANA JOE said:

We are on the Bliss Pacific Coastal on September 30 - October 6, 2019. We have a rollcall going which includes some info regarding late embarcation. Click on the link below. Come join our rollcall too.

Canada Place cruise pier can't handle 4 larger ships so it is believed that, per the port cruise schedules, that the Bliss will slide into the space that the Jewel vacates around 5 pm.

And as mentioned, the Bliss can't leave until low tide to get under the bridge

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2569414-ncl-bliss-6-nights-pacific-northwest-september-302019/

I am on the Jewel and we depart on October 7, 2019. There is no sailing from Vancouver on the Jewel on October 6.

Candi

2 hours ago, candigirl41 said:

I am on the Jewel and we depart on October 7, 2019. There is no sailing from Vancouver on the Jewel on October 6.

Candi

I believe what Indiana Joe said is that both the Jewel and the Bliss depart Vancouver on September 30. The only reason he mentioned the date October 6 is because the Bliss ends its Pacific Coastal cruise on that date in Los Angeles.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

17 minutes ago, Cruise_More_Often said:

I believe what Indiana Joe said is that both the Jewel and the Bliss depart Vancouver on September 30. The only reason he mentioned the date October 6 is because the Bliss ends its Pacific Coastal cruise on that date in Los Angeles.

Thanks CMO. You are correct.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:35 AM, candigirl41 said:

Candi

The Bliss is suppose to board on 9/30 and sail at 2:30 a.m. (10/1) out of Vancouver.

Been updating the folks on the roll call thread, but thought I'd share the latest news here as well.

I received a call from an NCL supervisor yesterday, which took me by surprise since I didn't request for a follow up. In any case, she agreed that the boarding time appears to be 7:00 pm (as indicated on my e-docs), but still seemed really confused as they haven't received any updates or notifications about this either. Because I'm in booked in the Haven, she told me to arrive earlier and I should be able to board even before the 7:00 pm time slot. 

Have to take this all with a grain of salt, though. Some guests are reporting that their e-docs still read 12:00 pm noon boarding time and it doesn't sound like anyone has received an official notice from NCL about the later boarding time. I guess anything can happen at this point. 

But if we follow the Vancouver port itinerary, then the earliest Bliss is docking will be 5:00 pm or 6:00 pm. Just not sure why NCL cannot connect with Vancouver to confirm this and update all guests. 

Also, I plan on sending NCL a complaint. I get that itineraries can change, but to sell a six-day cruise that is now really 5.5 (or less) days feels just wrong. I'm sure it won't go very far, but maybe if we can get enough guests to complain...

On 8/7/2019 at 9:58 AM, INDIANA JOE said:

Here’s the link to the Port of Vancouver schedule you’re referring to. As you said, Bliss pulls into the Canada Place East dock around 6pm after Jewel’s 5pm departure. Note: The link was last updated on July 22. 

https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/2019-Canada-Place-Cruise-Schedule-as-of-July-22-2019-VFPA.pdf

Its unfortunate that Ballentyne Pier is no longer used on those rare days when 4 ships are in Vancouver. A few years ago we boarded the Pearl at Ballentyne when there were 3 ships at Canada Place. 

4 hours ago, Arkansasgirl412 said:

I'm on the same 9/30-10/6 Norwegian Bliss sailing. When I signed up for arrival times today, 7PM was the EARLIEST arrival time available. Some people have boarding times as late as 9PM.... What I'm wondering is, what time will the mandatory safety drill be?

I believe Maritime law requires the drill be held within 24 hours from departure. 

Many years ago we boarded the NCL Wind (anyone remember her?) in San Francisco late, around 7pm. The ship sailed at Midnight. Muster drill was held the next morning at sea. In that incident the late 7pm boarding was due to the ship undergoing some maintenance repair. 

6 hours ago, BEAV said:

I believe Maritime law requires the drill be held within 24 hours from departure. 

Many years ago we boarded the NCL Wind (anyone remember her?) in San Francisco late, around 7pm. The ship sailed at Midnight. Muster drill was held the next morning at sea. In that incident the late 7pm boarding was due to the ship undergoing some maintenance repair. 

Thanks BEAV. We are in Seattle the next day, but we don't get there until 12:30PM. Hopefully they will do the safety drill in the morning. 

8 hours ago, BEAV said:

Here’s the link to the Port of Vancouver schedule you’re referring to. As you said, Bliss pulls into the Canada Place East dock around 6pm after Jewel’s 5pm departure. Note: The link was last updated on July 22. 

https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/2019-Canada-Place-Cruise-Schedule-as-of-July-22-2019-VFPA.pdf

Its unfortunate that Ballentyne Pier is no longer used on those rare days when 4 ships are in Vancouver. A few years ago we boarded the Pearl at Ballentyne when there were 3 ships at Canada Place. 

Thanks BEAV. This schedule is updated from the one I saw from May, 2019. Just wish Ncl would inform the passengers

so they could make definite plans for embarcation day.

10 hours ago, BEAV said:

This would be ideal, having the drill the following morning. I'm imagining chaos at the terminal that evening and even after getting on the ship - trying to rush through a drill that same night would probably only add to the craziness.

NCL definitely needs to get their act together. I'm on the NCL site right now and still able to make reservations for Teppanyaki on Monday, September 30th at 5:45 pm. I think some others reported not seeing these options or maybe the reservations previously made, yet here they are...

Screenshot (171).png

12 minutes ago, tlc1972 said:

NCL definitely needs to get their act together. I'm on the NCL site right now and still able to make reservations for Teppanyaki on Monday, September 30th at 5:45 pm. I think some others reported not seeing these options or maybe the reservations previously made, yet here they are...

Screenshot (171).png

That’s unfortunate NCL’s site is letting people book restaurants as if this is a normal sailing where boarding begins at Noon. Until the correct boarding times can be updated in their systems, thing like this will continue to happen. 

I was on this sailing last last year and recall a lot of confusion regarding the late departure and subsequent boarding times. It did finally get straightened out. But last year was also different in that even though departure was after Midnight, boarding did begin at Noon. But the difference was there weren’t 3 other ships in port, allowing dock space for Bliss to board at the normal time. 

Good luck with all of this. The tread title caught my eye because I remember our going through this same frustration last year. 

23 hours ago, Arkansasgirl412 said:

I'm on the same 9/30-10/6 Norwegian Bliss sailing. When I signed up for arrival times today, 7PM was the EARLIEST arrival time available. Some people have boarding times as late as 9PM.... What I'm wondering is, what time will the mandatory safety drill be?

Hey Arkansasgirl412, come over to the rollcall and join us. We have a M & G and Group Slot pull going so far if you would be interested. The link to the rollcall is back up in post # 6

Edited by INDIANA JOE

15 hours ago, BEAV said:

That’s unfortunate NCL’s site is letting people book restaurants as if this is a normal sailing where boarding begins at Noon. Until the correct boarding times can be updated in their systems, thing like this will continue to happen. 

I was on this sailing last last year and recall a lot of confusion regarding the late departure and subsequent boarding times. It did finally get straightened out. But last year was also different in that even though departure was after Midnight, boarding did begin at Noon. But the difference was there weren’t 3 other ships in port, allowing dock space for Bliss to board at the normal time. 

Good luck with all of this. The tread title caught my eye because I remember our going through this same frustration last year. 

Hi , how was the one bar per deck rule in Vancouver managed ? Were venues closed ? Was there a state/sales tax on drinks while in port in Vancouver  ? What was the % charged ?

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

When making reservation on this cruise on the Bliss in August, C/S person told us that ship boarding time would be 12:00 noon. When printing boarding documents noticed boarding time to be 7:30 for our party. Called NCL C/S and was told no, check in time was 12:00 to 1:00. Received letter from NCL yesterday stating boarding time would start at 7:00.

Called C/S again and after one hour of wait time to talk to a supervisor, was told nothing they could do. Travel plans for our party was made with the understanding that ship would be boarded at 12 or 1 pm. Now we have to kill time at dock for 5 to 6 hours before boarding even begins. Today when called, no C/S people at NCL knew about letter sent to customers. 

Would think that after was told twice that ship was to be boarded early, NCL would offer room credit or a free drink or something. As the previous cruiser said, a 6 day cruise is now a 5 1/2 day cruise. Waiting to see how long it takes to board 4000 people....................

2 hours ago, arlenewilly said:

When making reservation on this cruise on the Bliss in August, C/S person told us that ship boarding time would be 12:00 noon. When printing boarding documents noticed boarding time to be 7:30 for our party. Called NCL C/S and was told no, check in time was 12:00 to 1:00. Received letter from NCL yesterday stating boarding time would start at 7:00.

Called C/S again and after one hour of wait time to talk to a supervisor, was told nothing they could do. Travel plans for our party was made with the understanding that ship would be boarded at 12 or 1 pm. Now we have to kill time at dock for 5 to 6 hours before boarding even begins. Today when called, no C/S people at NCL knew about letter sent to customers. 

Would think that after was told twice that ship was to be boarded early, NCL would offer room credit or a free drink or something. As the previous cruiser said, a 6 day cruise is now a 5 1/2 day cruise. Waiting to see how long it takes to board 4000 people....................

Come over to our rollcall! If you are interested, I'm opening up my house for per-boarding meet up/drinks/snacks. I'm less than a 10 minute walk from the port!

Additionally, on the bright side, we should be faster with check in/security/CBP/boarding as at that time of day it will only be our ship. I can't even imagine having to get through with THREE other ships in port at the same time (not that ours would fit anyways!)

On 8/12/2019 at 11:47 PM, Drivencruise said:

Hi , how was the one bar per deck rule in Vancouver managed ? Were venues closed ? Was there a state/sales tax on drinks while in port in Vancouver  ? What was the % charged ?

Thanks

I was on this sailing last year and they definitely charged a tax on alcohol - I had the drink package so noticed that each drink had a dollar or so charged for tax. Not sure of the % but it wasn't much more than $1. I honestly don't recall that bars were closed (though I do know that only a certain number are allowed to be open in port). It certainly never impacted my ability to get a drink!