Princess non-refundable deposits

Capt Krunch

48 minutes ago, Princess Cruises Fann said:

Can you refare a booking made with a FCD on a non-refundable sale if the price drops or a better sale comes along? I have refared my Princess Cruises quite often, and curious if I have to make sure my TA uses a non-refundable code for future sales. 

You can refare a NFD booking to get a lower price or switch to another NFD promo. But you can't switch to a promo that only has a refundable deposit option. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just told by Princess agent if using my FCD on a non refundable deposit booking, I can cancel before final payment and my FCD will go back in to my account. If it expires it will be refunded to the credit card I paid for it with.

17 minutes ago, dog said:

Just told by Princess agent if using my FCD on a non refundable deposit booking, I can cancel before final payment and my FCD will go back in to my account. If it expires it will be refunded to the credit card I paid for it with.

I think I would double check that because I have been told by Princess that if you book a non-refundable deposit with an FCD then you are subject to the rules of that booking and if it is a non-refundable deposit fare you will lose your FCD as a non-refundable deposit.  Princess does have a fare that offers a refundable deposit, check that out.

5 minutes ago, Capt Krunch said:

I think I would double check that because I have been told by Princess that if you book a non-refundable deposit with an FCD then you are subject to the rules of that booking and if it is a non-refundable deposit fare you will lose your FCD as a non-refundable deposit.  Princess does have a fare that offers a refundable deposit, check that out.

Well, I got this from two different Princess agents today. Told they have more flexibility with FCD and it will be put back into my account if I cancel before final payment.

If it is not honored I lose $100pp deposit, not the $458 non refundable deposit. They will be dealing with me if they do not honor it-I wrote down the agent's name.

I have been told by my TA and again by 2 different Princess agents there was no  refundable deposit pricing for my cruise.

Edited by dog

• 4 months later...

So if I read the previous posts correctly, my $100 pp FCD is all I need to cover the $200 pp deposit for a suite deposit on an Alaskan cruise. Fairly standard I know. What’s different for me this go round is that I have a choice of a refundable deposit fare, or a non-refundable deposit fare.

The delta (there is that computer geek showing through again! 😉 ) in fares is $140pp, so if I take the cruise, then I’ve paid $280 more than I needed to, or if I have to cancel, then I’m out $200, but there is a chance that Princess would allow me to move that NRD to another new cruise under the same NRD conditions?

Seems like a no brainer, especially if any cancellation came after final payment as I’ll take out insurance just prior to final payment (to cover pre-existing conditions), then the FCD amount would also be covered. -Any cancellation on such a cruise would be due to health issues. 

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

We called Princess last week and moved from one non refundable deposit cruise to another.  The rep just moved our FCC from the "old" cruise to the "new" cruise.  This was before final payment.

That is to be expected as it happened.

4 hours ago, polmcs said:

So if I read the previous posts correctly, my $100 pp FCD is all I need to cover the $200 pp deposit for a suite deposit on an Alaskan cruise. Fairly standard I know. What’s different for me this go round is that I have a choice of a refundable deposit fare, or a non-refundable deposit fare.

The delta (there is that computer geek showing through again! 😉 ) in fares is $140pp, so if I take the cruise, then I’ve paid $280 more than I needed to, or if I have to cancel, then I’m out $200, but there is a chance that Princess would allow me to move that NRD to another new cruise under the same NRD conditions?

Seems like a no brainer, especially if any cancellation came after final payment as I’ll take out insurance just prior to final payment (to cover pre-existing conditions), then the FCD amount would also be covered. -Any cancellation on such a cruise would be due to health issues. 

Re. Your last paragraph. Insurance may have to be paid at time of booking. Ie: to cover pre existing conditions. Read the travel insurance fine print

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dog said:

Re. Your last paragraph. Insurance may have to be paid at time of booking. Ie: to cover pre existing conditions. Read the travel insurance fine print

That is the default, but there are some Cruise specific travel insurance policies that will cover pre-existing conditions so long as the insurance policy is taken out before final payment is made.

25 minutes ago, polmcs said:

That is the default, but there are some Cruise specific travel insurance policies that will cover pre-existing conditions so long as the insurance policy is taken out before final payment is made.

Yes. Some will. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/13/2020 at 9:29 PM, kywildcatfanone said:

We called Princess last week and moved from one non refundable deposit cruise to another.  The rep just moved our FCC from the "old" cruise to the "new" cruise.  This was before final payment.

If I did not use FCC but paid the deposit using credit card. Can I still transfer from one non refundable deposit cruise to another? Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 4:03 PM, polmcs said:

Well. I discovered a little wrinkle in my plan the other day. I had noticed that Princess were now offering an additional $200 pp promo off the cruise fare for my Alaska cruise at the end of June and now the refundable fare was $50 pp less than my current non refundable fare. I called my TA to see if I could have that promo applied and after they spoke to Princess, they informed me that the promo only applied to refundable fares and there was nothing that they could do for me.

After hanging up, I was a little miffed to say the least and felt like telling the TA and Princess  take a hike (and lose the $200 FCD), and also cancel our fully refundable HI circle cruise in November. I started looking at alternative cruises for my wife’s 50th birthday celebrations and also looked at other TA sites for my current Alaskan cruise to see if they showed a non refundable price to compare it with my current TA (still under 60 days from the original booking). I inadvertently selected the cruise prior to our current date and saw the price for our cabin class was significantly lower than what we had paid for our current sailing (We’re talking 2.5K here, just to sail 2 weeks earlier).

I called my TA later that day and asked about switching to the earlier cruise. At first they said that I would lose my non-refundable deposit, but I explained that if booking a new cruise at the same time, then the deposit could be moved. They called Princess and they agreed to move the deposit, but I would still only get the non-refundable rate on the new cruise, which like the original cruise was $50 pp more than the current refundable fare. I was OK with that as I was still saving $2.4K from my current fare (and that was $1.1 K less than my original booking for an August sailing), so what’s not to love saving $3.5K from what I had originally booked a few months back.

Princess, by sticking to their rules, cost themselves $2K 😉