New to Oceania and need advise on itinerary

oceanpark

38 minutes ago, oceanpark said:

I may have found a cruise that will work,  Barcelona to Venice on October 14, 2020.  We have been to Rome and Split before and could therefore stay on the ship.  

Looks pretty port intensive  but if you treat  a port day  as a sea day  it could work out

If you do not need a balcony  then try the C1  cabins ..they are same size as the balcony & a bit less $$

The ship is small enough that you can be outside in no time  😉

Now to find a good TA  that will also provide the gratuities  😉

Shop around

Our first Renaissance cruise was October 5-20 (Lisbon to Barcelona) and we then drove up through France to Switzerland for another couple of weeks.  Weather was lovely ... November could be a different story.

Mura

On 8/8/2019 at 5:04 PM, Mura said:

Does the OP have experience with sea days?  I ask because it took us several cruises to make us realize that we DO.  Before that we really wanted a new port every day.  Or at least a port every day ...

I also ask because many post here about not liking sea days whereas others like them!

I wasn't sure we'd like a TA but by the time we did we'd done a Buenos Aires-Santiago cruise that had a port, then a sea day, then a port ... you get the drift.  So we knew we'd enjoy the TA.

Also, even on a port intensive Med cruise you may find you are at a port where you really don't want to go on shore ... which would give you an opportunity to enjoy the ship (although there will be fewer activities than there would be on a real sea day).

Not an easy question to answer to everyone's satisfaction, that's for sure!

Mura

As you may recall, we're doing Rio to Buenos with only one sea day.  BUT most of the ports are small and we're not booking any excursions.  We'll go ashore, putz around, have some lunch and probably head back to the ship.  So plenty of time for ship enjoyment.  And, honestly, I get the impression that there's not a lot going on anyway.

6 minutes ago, oceanpark said:

Thanks for all the input.  I have booked 14 night Barcelona to Venice October 14, 2020 using Oceania air with a deviation.  I have never used cruise air before so I’m hoping for a positive experience.

If you haven't already spent time in Barcelona I hope you'll come in early.  It's one of our fave cities anywhere.

Ditto for the recommendations on Barcelona.  We always plan on 3 days there pre- or post-cruise.  It was my mother's favorite European city and I now understand why.  Just be alert to pickpockets, but these days that can be true of any city, whether big or not.

Clo, we haven't done Rio to B.A. but from what I have read here I think you are right about smaller ports.  The "circumnavigation" from B.A. to Santiago tends to be one port, then one sea day.  But even there, mostly smaller ports.  I remember one that at the time we were there (20 years ago) the population of the port "city" was all of 100 people.

Mura

1 hour ago, oceanpark said:

Thanks for all the input.  I have booked 14 night Barcelona to Venice October 14, 2020 using Oceania air with a deviation.  I have never used cruise air before so I’m hoping for a positive experience.

when you get close to the 270 day mark from the cruise

Check flights/routes you want  & get your TA to submit the dates/routes you want to Oceania

That way you do not end up with unpleasant surprises  with the flights

You can go back to them  until you reach an agreement  & then you pay the non refundable deviation fee

enjoy

1 hour ago, clo said:

If you haven't already spent time in Barcelona I hope you'll come in early.  It's one of our fave cities anywhere.

Us too clo!! Love, love, love Barcelona!!

we always at beginning or end of cruise we stay for at least 5 days! Best tapas in town!!!

Denise😊

8 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Us too clo!! Love, love, love Barcelona!!

we always at beginning or end of cruise we stay for at least 5 days! Best tapas in town!!!

Denise😊

Try this:

https://www.chowhound.com/post/barcelona-paco-meralgo-great-lunch-top-customer-service-877611

And Tickets Bar from the brothers who did El Bulli.

https://www.chowhound.com/post/barcelona-tickets-bar-fun-good-food-878068

I could live there.  Easily.

7 minutes ago, clo said:

Us too👍 Love Tickets bar did El Bulli years ago! We liked Tapas 24 also!

were 2 peas in a pod!

Thanks clo!

Denise😊

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

did El Bulli years ago!

I'm so jealous.  I can only imagine.  They have  a couple of other places in BCN, one right next door IIRC.  I need dinner. NOW

Catherine

Edited by clo

10 minutes ago, clo said:

Clo!!!!!!

David my husband loved chow hound! The write up is awesome👍 We definitely will be checking this out in March

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Come over here for dinner!  We’re outside watching the sunset over our ocean. Really relaxing! Sun just set here in Leucadia our home at the beach in San Diego.

Denise😊

Some day for sure!  We sold our Tahoe house a year ago and are now living mostly in Reno.  But have a tiny condo in Seattle where a daughter and family live.

Are you dog friendly? Hairy Red Dog pretty much goes everywhere with us.

We just drove down the WA, OR and NorCal coast.  So lovely.  

Cath

• Like 1

10 hours ago, clo said:

Some day for sure!  We sold our Tahoe house a year ago and are now living mostly in Reno.  But have a tiny condo in Seattle where a daughter and family live.

Are you dog friendly? Hairy Red Dog pretty much goes everywhere with us.

We just drove down the WA, OR and NorCal coast.  So lovely.  

Cath

You bet dog friendly!! Our grand puppy goes with us everywhere! Her name is Paisley we share her with our daughter a few days a week. Wishing you a great cruise coming up in Rio.

Denise😊

22 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

You bet dog friendly!! Our grand puppy goes with us everywhere! Her name is Paisley we share her with our daughter a few days a week. Wishing you a great cruise coming up in Rio.

Denise😊

We used to own an apartment in Rio and after selling it we've returned but not as often.  So looking forward to it, the ports and BA.  And it's really wild that we met a couple of men a few years ago in SE Asia who travel more than anyone we know.  They are boarding a ship in BA the same day we arrive so we're hoping to have lunch.  Small world.

Cath

• Like 1