where to stay for 1 day in LA

harmonykane

so I am going to fly in 1 day early for a cruise out of Los Angeles any recomendations for a place to stay that will not break the bank  , i will Be in early on a Saturday for a Sunday cruise guess im looking for something that does shuttles to the port , for some reason its cheaper to fly in and stay a day then fly in day of  , any help would be appreciated 

thanks

Harmony 

I would stay in San Pedro, like Bird suggested. Even though you will have a day in the area, it really isn't long enough to do too much. Get a shutter from the airport to the hotel: there are a couple of nice hotels that come to mind that are not overly expensive as L.A prices go. Double Tree is one of them. We have also stayed at the Crown Plaza which is nice. If you want to do a little sight seeing there are trips available but unless you get in really early you won't find a lot . If you stay in Long Beach you will spend time just getting a shuttle or some form of transportation from LAX to Long Beach and then you will have to get from Long Beach to the port. I really don't think just having one day would make it worth your while: time wise or cost wise. I was born and raised in Los Angeles. There is not another major city that is so spread out. 

I feel like there are three separate topics being discussed here.

a) the Original Poster - assuming you mean San Pedro (LA World Cruise Terminal), then yes, I'd choose the DoubleTree or Crowne Plaza. There isn't enough time to see much of LA.

b) Birdie, if I had two nights, I would not stay in San Pedro, I'd stay in Downtown LA, West LA or Hollywood, depending on the sights you want to see. You also can't ask "how long is the drive to/from LA" because LA is HUGE, where in LA (Hollywood? Downtown? Venice, etc) and it varies by time of day, day of week, time of year. San Pedro to Hollywood could be 40 minutes or 90 minutes in soul crushing traffic

c) Saphir, are you staying Long Beach for a Long Beach cruise or a Los Angeles (San Pedro) cruise?

On 8/9/2019 at 4:59 PM, harmonykane said:

so I am going to fly in 1 day early for a cruise out of Los Angeles any recomendations for a place to stay that will not break the bank  , i will Be in early on a Saturday for a Sunday cruise guess im looking for something that does shuttles to the port , for some reason its cheaper to fly in and stay a day then fly in day of  , any help would be appreciated 

thanks

Harmony 

Is there anything in particular that you want to do in LA?  That would drive where I would want to stay.  Like the others have said, LA is very spread out.  I live in Manhattan Beach near LAX and it is a trek when we go downtown to Dodger games or Santa Monica or Hollywood.  Also what month?  The 405 freeway can be pretty bad on the weekends in the summer months, but not too bad at other times.  Although, with that being said we made it to Santa Monica in 30 min last night for a party at 7:30pm.

if you just want to hang out by a pool and maybe explore a little bit, I agree that San Pedro makes sense.  That way you are ready for the cruise the next day.   

If you want more options, Long Beach could make sense as they have an aquarium, water taxi to other areas of Long Beach and lots of dining options. 

If you want to experience all that LA has to offer (Venice, Santa Monica, Malibu, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Griffith Park Observatory and Downtown LA) I would probably stay near the airport, rent a car for the day and make the most of your day.  Then wake up and take an Uber or Lyft to the port.

I guess it depends on your definition of 1 day early.  Do you get in at 10:00 AM or 10:00 PM?  As pointed out there really isn't much to go see in a day if your just sleeping over before sailing.  People underestimate how large "LA" is and how bad the traffic can be.  When people say it takes "30 minutes" it could be six hours, you just never know.  I was in LA for work last year when a car crashed on the freeway hitting a gas truck and killing a bunch of people.  It happened at 4:00 AM and people were stuck in traffic for five hours.  Luckily there were taco trucks stuck so they just opened up and started serving.    

If it were me, traveling all day, and getting in late.  I would stay at one of the LAX hotels.  We do the Hilton if we have a late arrival or early departure.  Then get a ride to the pier in the AM. 

If getting in mid-afternoon I would then go stay near the pier and experience whatever you think you can fit in.    Maybe just sitting by the pool with a cocktail.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

so this is where i am now  seems mot of San pedro is booked up as well i decided to book the cruise  75 days before it and not years .I am landing at 830 am on Saturday Morning as it was $150 cheaper to fly in Saturday then Sunday. I did find a Days inn about  7 miles from the Pier on the PCH  for $100 for the night , but its now looking like a uber  or anything will cost about $60 to get from  lax to Days inn and then again prob $20 to go the last 6 miles  form hotel to Pier, Unless any one has any bright ideas 

Harmony

1 hour ago, harmonykane said:

so this is where i am now  seems mot of San pedro is booked up as well i decided to book the cruise  75 days before it and not years .I am landing at 830 am on Saturday Morning as it was $150 cheaper to fly in Saturday then Sunday. I did find a Days inn about  7 miles from the Pier on the PCH  for $100 for the night , but its now looking like a uber  or anything will cost about $60 to get from  lax to Days inn and then again prob $20 to go the last 6 miles  form hotel to Pier, Unless any one has any bright ideas

Assuming you are talking about the Days Inn Torrance, it is fine.

If you want cheap and don't mind slow, use SuperShuttle from LAX to Torrance. I think a shared ride is $17 a person.