How do you take the tedium out of packing?

SempreMare

On 8/12/2019 at 3:34 PM, grsnovi said:

find that it is a lot easier to pack on the last day of the cruise than it is before the cruise... :classic_rolleyes:

At least then you don't need to say "do I take it or leave it home".

Roy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It is what you make of it.  If you want to get it done quickly and efficiently you will.  If you want to elongate the process and make a career out of it you will.   

It can also come down to how confident you are in your own skin, how insecure your are, our how strong your desire to 'fit it' is, or how flexible you are in dealing with the usual challenges with travel.

Human nature really.  Who cares how long you take or how much you slog along with you as long as your are happy and are having a good time.  

Edited by iancal

On 8/10/2019 at 8:14 AM, RuthC said:

I don't find packing 'tedious' so much as painful. It kills my back to stand and fold garments.

I have a computer list of absolutely everything I could possibly want to take on a cruise, which I print out when I print my cruise documents. I then can sit and select what I want to take on any given cruise, no matter the climate(s) or length.
About a week and a half before I will leave I start to pack one or two things at a time, every time I get up to be in that area of the house. Three or four days before leaving I close up the suitcase and drag it to the front door; then I put the roll-aboard on the bed to start the real tedious part of packing---putting all those jewelry pieces in their own little pouches! That kills my back even more than folding clothes does!

Ruth, I understand completely.  I now use a chair for as much as I can, I stand up to do what needs it, the rest is done sitting down.    As stated earlier, for things like putting jewellery in pouches, folding or rolling stacks of clothing, my wheelie chair is right there.  It is set up just for me as far as seat height, pitch, support etc. It makes such a difference.  I use it for many mundane household tasks as well, folding laundry, vegetable prep, and so on.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 10:51 PM, SempreMare said:

I dislike packing.   Occasionally this means sleepless nights the night before departures on work trips.  I'm trying to do better.

To make packing more fun, I'm playing the Hogan's Heroes DVDs I bought my Mom when she was ill.   She adored that show. 

Such a smart comedy for its time.   Somehow Google knows I'm watching it, so it's sending me Hogan's Heroes trivia in my iPhone's Google search app feed.

Ex:  Apparently the 4 leading actors who played Germans (Colonel Klink, Sergeant Schultz, General Burkhalter, Major Hockstetter)  were all Jewish.

Apparently they or especially General Burkhalter insisted that in no episode would the German's "win" the scenario of focus.

It does help packing go faster, but it also distracted me with a reference I had to look up.

Hogan said to Carter, "Who do you think you are, Nathan Hale?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Hale

OK back to packing.   

So how do you take the tedium out of packing? 

I probably won’t give you any help,  because I love packing BEFORE heading out in a trip. I love to think about what I am planning to do, and how I can cover my needs with the least amount of “stuff”.  

Heading home is a different story. I try to accomplish it as quickly as possible. Focused on all the great parts of the trip.

• Like 1