How soon will Carnival Assign a Cabin?

rcarrosq

I usually book our cruises one year out but back in July we saw a 14 day cruise on the Breeze leaving from FL on November 2.  I called my TA and told him we were interested.  We usually like interior midship cabins, either Riviera or Main deck but our TA said there were no interior cabins available anywhere on the ship.  He tried all others but nothing was available. He told me I could book a guarantee which means I will either get an interior cabin somewhere on the ship or an upgrade somewhere.  He also told me early dining and anytime dining would be wait listed so we have late dining.  If the dining can't be changed we will probably just eat at Lido.  I was able to fill out our paperwork and print out documents and the cabin shows TBA and the bed configuration shows twin beds.  I called my TA and told him I couldn't get into the area where I could edit the bed configuration and asked if he would be able to do that.  He said he couldn't till a cabin was assigned.

After almost 32 cruises, this is the first time I've ever had a TBA cabin and I'm a bit nervous about it.  Has anyone else had any experience with this and if so, how long before the cruise is a cabin assigned?  I'd hate to fly to FL and find out we are under the nightclub or next to the engines.  Is there anyone I can speak to other than my TA about this issue?  My TA is a great guy and has always gotten us exactly what we want but I'm sure that's because I've always booked in plenty of time to pick whatever I want. 

Any advice would be appreciated

5 minutes ago, rcarrosq said:

Has anyone else had any experience with this and if so, how long before the cruise is a cabin assigned?  I'd hate to fly to FL and find out we are under the nightclub or next to the engines.  Is there anyone I can speak to other than my TA about this issue?  My TA is a great guy and has always gotten us exactly what we want but I'm sure that's because I've always booked in plenty of time to pick whatever I want.

Your cabin could be assigned as late as the day of departure, although this is rare.

When you book a guarantee cabin, you agree to accept any cabin in the category in which you book or higher.  If cabin location is a potentially a dealbreaker, a guarantee cabin is not the right option for you.  Your other option is to rebook in a category that has availability to choose your cabin.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rcarrosq said:

I usually book our cruises one year out but back in July we saw a 14 day cruise on the Breeze leaving from FL on November 2.  I called my TA and told him we were interested.  We usually like interior midship cabins, either Riviera or Main deck but our TA said there were no interior cabins available anywhere on the ship.  He tried all others but nothing was available. He told me I could book a guarantee which means I will either get an interior cabin somewhere on the ship or an upgrade somewhere.  He also told me early dining and anytime dining would be wait listed so we have late dining.  If the dining can't be changed we will probably just eat at Lido.  I was able to fill out our paperwork and print out documents and the cabin shows TBA and the bed configuration shows twin beds.  I called my TA and told him I couldn't get into the area where I could edit the bed configuration and asked if he would be able to do that.  He said he couldn't till a cabin was assigned.

After almost 32 cruises, this is the first time I've ever had a TBA cabin and I'm a bit nervous about it.  Has anyone else had any experience with this and if so, how long before the cruise is a cabin assigned?  I'd hate to fly to FL and find out we are under the nightclub or next to the engines.  Is there anyone I can speak to other than my TA about this issue?  My TA is a great guy and has always gotten us exactly what we want but I'm sure that's because I've always booked in plenty of time to pick whatever I want. 

Any advice would be appreciated

Your cabin could be assigned from now until the moment you check in, there is no way to predict when Carnival will assign the cabins. Theres not much you can do about hurrying them up, just have to wait and hope you have enough time to decide weather you want the cabin they assign. The reality is you can’t ask for another cabin. As for waitlisted early dining. Early dining is the hardest one to change to. When you board go to the dining room and ask to be switched. We have done a guaranteed cabin once. Had an OV and changed to a guaranteed balcony on the Miracle. This was about two months before the cruise. We were assigned an obstructed balcony, which turned out alright because the obstruction was the life boat midship, no problem. The cabin was assigned 2 weeks later.  

Edited by skrufy
Recheck

I booked a guarantee on the Valor for 8/22 and was assigned an inside stateroom on Deck 2 about three weeks later.

I couldn't alter bedding configuration until I had a stateroom assigned and because I was booking an Interline GTY, I was REAL stressed that my husband and I would be in an upper/lower interior room because of what we paid - but we were assigned a traditional interior stateroom. Once I had a stateroom assigned, I was able to change the bedding configuration. Two days after that, I was offered an "upgrade" to a balcony on Deck 8 for a total of $66. 

I always do late dining, so I'm no help on that one though I imagine that there is room to move around if the line is still offering GTY - unfortunately, a trip to the dining room upon embarkation may be in order.

It appears the 8/22 sailing on the Valor is pretty empty though, so YMMV.

My cruising "hot take": I wish there was a way for cruisers to relinquish their tables if they don't plan to eat in the main dining room at all ... every cruise I've done, I've always met people that prefer to eat at the buffet/premium dining and never once visit the main dining room. If you could relinquish your dining time, it would make it a lot easier for everyone to get the dining time they want and plan to utilize.

Edited by keels81
  • Like 1

Sounds like you are on a Journey cruise.  These are extremely popular and will certainly be a sellout  I doubt your TA can do anything to get you assigned early.  If it is a Journey, have a wonderful cruise, ours ranks at the top of our cruising history,  

Of 50 cruises, we have only booked a Guarantee twice and the first time we didn't find out our cabin assignment until we arrived at the Port. The porter had a copy of the manifest, found our names, and did our luggage tags for us. We received the same category cabin as we booked. The second time, we found out a week before the cruise so had time to print out luggage tags. Again, we received the same category cabin as we booked.

We've done numerous GTYs.  MOST TYPICALLY, our assignment occurred somewhere between 2 and 4 weeks prior to sailing date.  We have never received a major upgrade and only do it for OV or Obstructed type cabins when the price knocks our socks off.  You must absolutely understand and accept that they can place you in the least attractive cabin within the category.  You are not at liberty to complain and demand a change.  If that is not acceptable, one should NOT book a GTY.

Edited by jsglow

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who replied.  Our sailing is on Nov 2 and as of today, there is still no assigned cabin.  I'm not expecting any sort of upgrade as I have a guaranteed inside cabin; I just don't want the cabin to be under the night clubs or under the gym and at our age, it wouldn't be good to have upper and lower bunks.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I hear something soon

Got my cabin assignment once at the port. I even had to go through the entire process with someone else's documents with their name crossed out and mine handwritten in. Didn't become "officially" me until photo and sail'n'sign card was issued (then this was done just before boarding the ship).Nice surprise though as I was moved from an inside to an oceanview! (FREE) I think the remnants of Hurricane Jeanne which was rolling through New York at the time and there was probably a load of cancellations and no-shows.

Edited by glrounds