Huge price difference after final payment?

Beachiekeen

There's nothing we can do right?  It's like $2500 difference and my family has 3 cabins.  We can get the OS for what we paid for a regular suite.  

We still have a great cabin--I just wanted to make sure it's not at least worth a phone call.  We booked direct through NCL.  TIA

2 minutes ago, schildiams said:

They might upgrade you to the OS if you ask and it is definitely the same price that you paid. In the alt they might offer you 25% of the diff in on board credit.

Both the OS on our deck are open.  It's crazy--I thought this rarely happened.  I would be happy for just the OBC--my in-laws paid for the cruise for all of us and it would be more fair that they get something back than us get the upgrade.  

I think my husband might call, all they can do is say no.

2 minutes ago, Beachiekeen said:

Both the OS on our deck are open.  It's crazy--I thought this rarely happened.  I would be happy for just the OBC--my in-laws paid for the cruise for all of us and it would be more fair that they get something back than us get the upgrade.  

I think my husband might call, all they can do is say no.

Nobody would likely get any “money “  back.  Usually the obc is nonrefundable.     

Don't expect anything. But you can call.    

This topic seems to come up every week. It is common for lines to discount cruises after final payment date to fill empty cabins. They simply can't refund or credit everyone on board every ship every cruise. This is why many people book last minute. 

4 minutes ago, TifffanyD said:

If you do upgrade to the owners suite, they will only apply the amount paid for one cabin towards it. You can't combine the difference in all 3 cabins and use that to upgrade.

Oh yeah I know, and I also know it's the luck of the draw and all that.  I've just never seen this happen on any of our other cruises and wondered if it was worth a call.  I had always heard POA sailed full year-round.

And actually hubby said the difference in our cabin now is more like $1600 difference since we prepaid tips and got insurance.  So not as much as I thought but still x 3 it's alot.  OS is actually $900 more, not the same. 

I'll report back with what they say.

2 minutes ago, TifffanyD said:

Oh then in my experience they will let you upgrade to OS for the $900 difference. 

I think we might do it.  I told hubby it's our 10-year anniversary trip and probably the only opportunity we'll have to ever get one!

• Like 1

Looking at how NCL’s pricing model has changed over the last couple of years, wonder if people will catch on and stop booking way out and wait until a lot closer to the sailing date when prices are seemingly dropping substantially? 

Ive also noticed that when pricing out  a few different cruises for next year, the pricing with the so called “free offers” vs a GTY cabin that comes with no free offers is quite considerable, and makes those free offers seem not so free. I know that you ave always been able to get a GTY cabin for cheaper than a cabin you choose, but the price difference nowadays on NCL seems a lot more. 

32 minutes ago, Kelownacruiser said:

Looking at how NCL’s pricing model has changed over the last couple of years, wonder if people will catch on and stop booking way out and wait until a lot closer to the sailing date when prices are seemingly dropping substantially? 

Ive also noticed that when pricing out  a few different cruises for next year, the pricing with the so called “free offers” vs a GTY cabin that comes with no free offers is quite considerable, and makes those free offers seem not so free. I know that you ave always been able to get a GTY cabin for cheaper than a cabin you choose, but the price difference nowadays on NCL seems a lot more. 

The perks are NEVER free.        Booking last minute  means,  taking left over cabins,  scrambleing for lodging/airfare/tours/transportation   etc all last minute too.    A LOT of people simply can't won't do this.   Some aren't capable  etc.    

I do book last minute-  frequently-  -  will be on the 8-24 POA,  booked 2 days ago,  I'm looking to add on 8-31.    A lot of cruises I've taken this year-  I booked less that  a week prior.    (14 taken so far).    It works well for me.   

Yeah my in-laws (this is only their second cruise) were less than thrilled but we just told them, look it can go up or down, no way to know. And yeah it’s not like all six of us coming from different places want to book our flights and hotels 90 days out.  We were happy with the price we paid at the time so no reason to be upset now. But we are a large group in 3 cabins so it’s a little harder to swallow. 

Anyway, we did get OBC for all 3 cabins so that’s something. It never hurts to ask I guess!

In the UK, after booking they won't offer anything...You have to loose your deposit to do this too.

Celebrity are one of the only cruise lines that are more sympathetic.

Worth a call for you though, they can only say no

Edited by rachiem

Based in Ireland and I called about this a few weeks ago, we booked 6 weeks out due to a lst minute enforced change of plans but then at 4 weeks out it dropped by $800 for the room. Called and nothing she could do except "make our room nicer". So we have nicer pillows and some desserts on arrival. 

9 hours ago, Kelownacruiser said:

This was discussed in length late week here. Remember though there are huge price drops just a few weeks out often, there are also often rate hikes. Plus ships sell out or sell out of a particular category. if you can travel whenever and you are willing to gamble waiting might be the best way, but for many we can't just take off when we want. AS for going with gty, again it depends on what you expect to get from your cruise vacation and how it works out for each of us. For us, knowing our cabin and knowing everything is paid for before we even cruise is the best way to go. If you are not drinkers,  do not care about the excursion discount or eating in specialty dining more than many once on a cruise going GTY might be the best way. 

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

This was discussed in length late week here. Remember though there are huge price drops just a few weeks out often, there are also often rate hikes. Plus ships sell out or sell out of a particular category. if you can travel whenever and you are willing to gamble waiting might be the best way, but for many we can't just take off when we want. AS for going with gty, again it depends on what you expect to get from your cruise vacation and how it works out for each of us. For us, knowing our cabin and knowing everything is paid for before we even cruise is the best way to go. If you are not drinkers,  do not care about the excursion discount or eating in specialty dining more than many once on a cruise going GTY might be the best way. 

I so wish someone would base a ship in the Savannah/Hilton Head area.  I would be booking the day before and running to the port for the right price!  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

I so wish someone would base a ship in the Savannah/Hilton Head area.  I would be booking the day before and running to the port for the right price!  :classic_laugh:

There are some in Jacksonville - which isn't too far from you

9 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Now that you have OBC, can you cancel prepaid gratuities?

???   Usually these OBC's are non refundable.   So you are saying to just stiff the staff.  if that is the case?  

4 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

For us, knowing our cabin and knowing everything is paid for before we even cruise is the best way to go. If you are not drinkers,  do not care about the excursion discount or eating in specialty dining more than many once on a cruise going GTY might be the best way. 

My travel is certainly all paid for,  even when booking the day prior?   what is your reference that this isn't the case?     I certainly do manage all my touring easily as well,  and no issue with dining reservations on the ship.

There can be a lot of benefit for last minute-   AND you need to be fully accepting to sitting home.  :)     But for me,  there are endless opportunities-   so, certainly something for everyone.