Where to stay in Santiago Chile

palladian

We had an excellent stay at the Ritz Carlton. Spent two days exploring the city and made a day trip (private tour) to 3 wineries.  We also spent a night in Valparaiso which I would also recommend (charming town) but Quest doesn’t sail from there any more these days. 

Edited by florisdekort

54 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

We had an excellent stay at the Ritz Carlton. Spent two days exploring the city and made a day trip (private tour) to 3 wineries.  We also spent a night in Valparaiso which I would also recommend (charming town) but Quest doesn’t sail from there any more these days. 

Ditto. Ritz Carlton Club floor.  We’ve now stayed three times and consistently good 

Here's a third vote for the Ritz Carlton club floor.  If you have an opportunity, I would highly recommend taking a day trip to the Colchagua Valley. It's a lovely place with many wineries and gorgeous scenery.  The town of Santa Cruz is a nice place to stop for lunch and some good wine.  If I remember correctly there was a small but interesting museum there. We arranged for a car and driver through the concierge at the hotel and it was money well spent.

And I will offer another option from a person who favors small boutique hotels. We stayed at Le Reve in Providencia two years ago and found the rooms well appointed, the charming courtyard a great place to relax and excellent service from the staff.I like hotels that are not in the center of loud cites and this hotel on a quiet tree lined street fit  the bill. It was also quite conveniently located to walking to the historic area and a wonderful restaurant where we had dinner.

Given  the time you have you could split your time with a couple of days in the Atacama Desert. As to wineries, easy to visit the Casablanca Valley, a major wine region, on your way to the port. If you do make sure to stop at my favorite Chilean wine estate, Emiliano, and taste their star wine, Coyam. 

The Ritz-Carlton is boring - with nowhere to sit outside, it's stuffy and dull.  We've stayed twice at was the Grand Hyatt and is now the Mandarin Oriental - and that's almost as good as it gets.  It's a high-rise with an atrium lobby, has majestic views of the Andes and, best of all, a resort atmosphere with gardens and a huge pool.  

We split our time there, started at the Ritz on Club floor and loved it - and you can sit outside the roof top pool area off of the gym area - inside was quite warm, I had to abandon the gym after about 20 minutes.  Based on my friend Chairsin's recommendation we also stayed at Le Reve and enjoyed it.  Big difference between the 2: Ritz lots of room as we had a suite with plenty of space, twice a day housekeeping, someone always available to assist in anyway, in the financial district so quiet at night and on the weekends, subway station about 300 feet from hotel entrance. The Le Reve room we were given was small - and that was the second one as we refused the 1st one we were taken to, hotel had a  more intimate environment, nice outside courtyard for breakfast and afternoon / evening times, not too many people working there - we had to take our luggage down ourselves the day we departed and wait a bit to checkout as only one person at the small front desk.. As Chairsin said, location is on a quiet street and there was an excellent French restaurant down the street and many others within a short walk - depending on what type of food you wanted nothing was more than 5 minutes or so.

Just to 2nd Chairsin - the Casablanca winery region is definitely worth going to, about an hour's drive and Emiliano is a definite must stop, IMO.  Love the Coyam too but there was another - Signos that I liked more, Ge did not do it for us, and brought a couple of long ago drunk bottles.

palladian, My husband and I had a wonderful stay at The Singular Santiago at the end of our Seabourn Antarctica cruise. It's in the Lastarria neighborhood, a great location for walking to the main attractions as well as around the corner from a terrific restaurant called Bocanáriz. 

We also did a fabulous all-day wine tour to the Casablanca Valley (details in my Day 2 blog post). Our flight back to the U.S. left late at night, and we were able to keep our luggage on the tour van before we were dropped off at the airport.

Here are links to the hotel and my blogs:

https://thesingular.com/hotel/santiago 

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/santiago-day-1-la-chascona-cerro-san-cristobal-plaza-de-armas/

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/santiago-day-2-a-day-of-wine-roses-in-chiles-casablanca-valley/

Best of luck with your plans!
Mary

Travel Blog: https://www.themodernpostcard.com

On 8/13/2019 at 4:24 PM, palladian said:

We will be arriving in Santiago on November 22 till our cruise departs on the 28th Not sure whether to spend the time in the city and day trip or go elsewhere any recommendations 

My TA has recommend Luciano K Hotel. This is an historic boutique hotel - was once the tallest building in Santiago. He has stayed there and whilst not 5* recommends it for its character.

Something totally different:  The Park Plaza.  It's an apartment hotel with loft rooms.  We had a little kitchen where we made breakfasts and some lunches and had a lot of space to hang out in.  Location is downtown within walking distance of the main museums and the cathedral.  Walking distance to lots of cool restaurants.  Only problem was that the A/C cooled the downstairs very well, but did not quite cool the upstairs sleeping area.  Probably half the price of the other suggested hotels.