Off Ship and Getting to Airport Miami

Hello,

Its been years since I cruises out of Miami.  We are on the Navigator this coming October out of Miami.  Question, on disembarkation, if I take a 10:30am flight do you feel that be risky?  Not sure whether we make a 10:30am flight with the size of Miami airport in these days, any advice.  We have two options, 10:30am flight or 1:42 flight.

Edited by Cruisegirl6

Recently, we left Symphony at 8:15am and were sitting at the airport gate by 9:15. We walked off with our luggage, had a car waiting for us and had TSA pre check.  All the stars were aligned for us.  Our flight was at 11:00am so I felt comfortable that we would make it.  

It's a pretty straight shot from POM on 395 and 836 to MIA but I wouldn't want to risk going thru security at MIA if you don't have pre check and depending on what day of the week you'll be traveling.  I'd rather wait at the airport for a couple of hours than race to get to a 10:30 flight, that will start boarding around 9:50. The 1:42 pm flight will leave you a bit more relaxed. Are you travelling within Florida?

Do the later flight, one accident/traffic Jam and you're out of luck. Twice in last 3yrs coming into Port in Fall we didnt even start getting off ship until after 8. Things happen, dont stress...

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

Its been years since I cruises out of Miami.  We are on the Navigator this coming October out of Miami.  Question, on disembarkation, if I take a 10:30am flight do you feel that be risky?  Not sure whether we make a 10:30am flight with the size of Miami airport in these days, any advice.  We have two options, 10:30am flight or 1:42 flight.

Best to ask the experts on the Florida Departures forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/533-florida-departures/

We just got off Symphony on AUGUST 10.  We had a late flight so we did not stress about getting off the ship, and were outside the terminal by 9:30.

THE CROWDS WERE INSANE AND THE TAXI LINE EXTENDED BEYOND THE TERMINAL.  We got in our taxi by 10:30.

Not saying don't do it - but don't risk the crowds.  Get off the ship ASAP before there are crowds and chaos outside the terminal.  Perhaps this is normal for getting off the ship at 9:30, we generally book early flights and get off the ship early.  So I don't know if our experience was due to "port of Miami" or due to the 9:30 disembarkation.  Things moved pretty smoothly getting of the ship, but it does seem like everyone waits until the last minute.

@Queen of Oakville summed it up well.  Navigator is a much smaller ship, but you will want to make sure you are among the first people off to the ship to give yourself as much time as possible to get to the airport.  You are also contending with weekday traffic as Navigator disembarks on Mondays or Fridays.  Airport might be busier with business travelers as well.  You need to make sure you give yourself enough time for checking a bag (if needed) and going through TSA.

If there is no price difference between the two, just take the later flight for peace of mind.