All aboard time vs sail time??

Natmar

Quick question - we are sailing next week to Alaska on the Oosterdam and have booked a private excursion in Sitka expecting sail time to be 4:00pm but we just downloaded HAL's App on our phones and it is showing that set sail time is now 3:30pm so we need to know how far in advance do you need to be on the ship before it is scheduled to sail?   Thanks

If the ship is set to sail at 4 then all on board for most ports is 30 minutes earlier BUT this is the embarkation port and you need to be on in time for the muster drill.

So, I would be on board by 2:45 - 3:00 pm so you can make it and not hold everyone up.

1 hour ago, Natmar said:

Quick question - we are sailing next week to Alaska on the Oosterdam and have booked a private excursion in Sitka expecting sail time to be 4:00pm but we just downloaded HAL's App on our phones and it is showing that set sail time is now 3:30pm so we need to know how far in advance do you need to be on the ship before it is scheduled to sail?   Thanks

If you are referring to your private excursion in Sitka and if Oostie's departure time has been changed to 3:30 PM there, then your All Aboard time will most likely be 3:00 PM. That is, unless the ship is tendering when the "last tender back to the ship" time is always one hour prior to departure. Be sure to check the All Aboard time always posted on the gangway sign

Allow enough time to get through check-in.  If you are late and miss the muster drill, you will NOT be allowed to sail.  Do you need to call the excursion company and ask for an earlier tour?  Might be a good idea.  Have a lovely time on your cruise.

4 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Allow enough time to get through check-in.  If you are late and miss the muster drill, you will NOT be allowed to sail.  Do you need to call the excursion company and ask for an earlier tour?  Might be a good idea.  Have a lovely time on your cruise.

Close! :classic_cool: Only those who refuse to participate in the mandatory passenger safety drill will not be allowed to sail, and will thus be disembarked. For those who miss the drill because they were not there, for whatever reason, when the drill took place, there will be a make-up drill scheduled around 1730-1830 hrs (depending on time of departure) on the day of departure

Okay now we are totally confused - could it be under the Happenings on Board section on our phone apps when it says at 3:30pm Oosterdam Departs Sitka sea view pool, 9 - could that mean sail away party begins before actual sail away at 4:00pm?  The shore excursions page on our Apps for Sitka is showing all aboard time of 3:30pm - which page do we trust our scheduled tour drops us off at the ship at 3:00pm.  

Edited by Natmar
changed wording

I guess I would be suspect of anything the  App says right not. That information in not supposed to be available until you are on the ship's network. Granted my next cruise is more than a couple of weeks away, but all the app will allow me to do right now is connect to the HAL web page.

When were you able to see specific information about your cruise?

1 hour ago, Natmar said:

Okay now we are totally confused - could it be under the Happenings on Board section on our phone apps when it says at 3:30pm Oosterdam Departs Sitka sea view pool, 9 - could that mean sail away party begins before actual sail away at 4:00pm?  The shore excursions page on our Apps for Sitka is showing all aboard time of 3:30pm - which page do we trust our scheduled tour drops us off at the ship at 3:00pm.  

I think that’s exactly what it means - the sailaway party is at 3:30.

I’d go by the itinerary on HAL’s website, myself.  Not sure how the app is working before you are on board, but definitely use the itinerary.

When you are on board, you will see the schedule and, of course it will be announced the night before in the When and Where.

If you are on a private tour, you can always ask for something to be cut short if need be 😉 but I think you are fine.