Internet/Phone question

Finzo4

Ok Im new to NCL and Im going on an European cruise... I want to stay connected to my Husband while on this cruise , Im a lil uncomfortable being in a foreign country.  Do I need to have phone service and Internet thru ship?? or will just phone service  be enough???

I don't even care to be able to talk to him but would like to be able to text, email or fb... just some lines of communication ... and Yes actual phone service for emergencies .... 

can someone please help me wth whatever service I will need.  My phone carrier is AT&T

thanks in advance 

If you want to be able to use your phone in port, that would be a phone plan and nothing to do with the ship. AT&T likely has some international plan you can use. I have Verizon and they let you add an international plan to you phone - for $10 you can use your phone for 24 hours like you do at home (though they might have a per day data cap). 

Calls and texts in ports in Europe. ( not at sea)

Options are to use your service provider (extra charge?) to make calls mine is included but it will depend on your plan.https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/europe-caribbean-country-more.html

Find free internet in coffee shop and send messages via wifi using Facebook , messenger etc

Best "free" solution for calls home will be McDonalds. In Warnemünde, Gdynia, Tallinn you'll find them located at the pier. They will provide at least 1hr of free surfing, maybe its not possible to make whatsapp calls, but its free. Make sure to have more than one messenger prepared, if your first choice wont work.

36 minutes ago, step78 said:

Best "free" solution for calls home will be McDonalds. In Warnemünde, Gdynia, Tallinn you'll find them located at the pier. They will provide at least 1hr of free surfing, maybe its not possible to make whatsapp calls, but its free. Make sure to have more than one messenger prepared, if your first choice wont work.

It's quite possible that the OP has a phone that supports Wi-Fi calling, in which case I believe that would be an alternative to using those apps.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. )  

You're right. But not all carriers allow WiFi-Calling in foreign countries (maybe that's an European thing, because we "roam like home" everywhere in the EU) We'll try WiFi Calling in Russia, because it's 8€/day for roaming 😭 (calls+internet)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Finzo4 said:

Ok Im new to NCL and Im going on an European cruise... I want to stay connected to my Husband while on this cruise , Im a lil uncomfortable being in a foreign country.  Do I need to have phone service and Internet thru ship?? or will just phone service  be enough???

I don't even care to be able to talk to him but would like to be able to text, email or fb... just some lines of communication ... and Yes actual phone service for emergencies .... 

can someone please help me wth whatever service I will need.  My phone carrier is AT&T

thanks in advance 

We always buy the premium unlimited wifi plan so that we can make wifi calls home. It works fine. even facetime (some of the time). We offset the cost by "saving" the $10 per day for international roaming in most ports and restrict our phone and texting to the ship.