Service Charge vs Tip

kentuckmn

This is a hotly debated topic around these parts.   Some say it is two different things.  Some say since the Service Charge replaced the old "envelope tipping system" that the Service Charge is indeed the tips.  Some will say it is semantics, some will say phooey.  🙂

You are under no obligation to tip above and beyond what the automatic charges are.  If you choose to do so feel free.  That is your business and no one elses.

Here are a couple of links from NCL.com FAQ's that may help:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-about-gratuities

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-is-onboard-service-charge

Do what you feel is appropriate.  Personally I rarely tip above the automatic charges.

• Like 1

I choose not to tip extra unless service from a particular crew member is exemplary. On top of the “service charge “ you are also charged 20% gratuities on beverages and specialty dining. I feel adding all this together I have tipped enough. Heck, I don’t even get towel animals or ice without asking anymore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kentuckmn said:

Can't seem to get this question answered on NCL web site, but the $15 a day for service charge, is that basically the tip or are we expected to tip in addition to that. Tks.

NCL does not expect you to provide any gratuities over the daily service charge with a few exceptions, including the staff in the child care center and the butler and concierge if you use them and are in a suite, plus the spa and other optional things like those

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kentuckmn said:

Can't seem to get this question answered on NCL web site, but the $15 a day for service charge, is that basically the tip or are we expected to tip in addition to that. Tks.

No matter what you choose to call the DSC, no one is expected or required to tip NY mount T ll other than the tips added on to packages.  The amount you choose to tip, who you choose to tip, and when you choose to give a tip is entirely up to you.

51 minutes ago, hladygirl said:

I choose not to tip extra unless service from a particular crew member is exemplary. On top of the “service charge “ you are also charged 20% gratuities on beverages and specialty dining. I feel adding all this together I have tipped enough. Heck, I don’t even get towel animals or ice without asking anymore.

There is no such thing as tipping "EXTRA'.  You choose not to tip, which is just fine as that is your choice to make.

2 hours ago, ColinIllinois said:

This is a hotly debated topic around these parts.   Some say it is two different things.  Some say since the Service Charge replaced the old "envelope tipping system" that the Service Charge is indeed the tips.  Some will say it is semantics, some will say phooey.  🙂

You are under no obligation to tip above and beyond what the automatic charges are.  If you choose to do so feel free.  That is your business and no one elses.

Here are a couple of links from NCL.com FAQ's that may help:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-about-gratuities

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-is-onboard-service-charge

Do what you feel is appropriate.  Personally I rarely tip above the automatic charges.

Well put.  One of the most factually accurate and unbiased replies on the subject I have ever seen.

2 hours ago, kentuckmn said:

You pay the $15 a day ... and you are COVERED ... technically.  There are TONS of people who post on CC and go in great detail how much extra cash they hand out.  

You do not have to hand out cash.  You do not have to feel bad if you pay the DSC and leave it at that.  You are covered.   

Each drink will have a 20% gratuity added to it ... so you're covered there ... that's automatic. Unless you have the drink package ... and again ... you do not have to hand out cash if you do have the drink package.  You have already paid 20%gratuity on that package price/total. 

• Like 2

You are not expected to tip in addition to the DSC . In addition to the service charge we have on a occasion given a cash tip in person to someone who provided excellent service. For example the server in Cagney on the Spirit was outstanding so we tipped him and knew it was extra and was already included but its how we felt and thats what’s important IMHO. 

Also happened in the Vibe on the Escape etc etc if everyone recognised the times we received outstanding service we would all get better service across the board. 

10 hours ago, kentuckmn said:

same thing as a tip only called DSC. Some are going to question this but it is just the wording and this question or discussion on tipping seems to be coming up way to often lately. AS for tipping anyone else, some do add a few bucks here and there. WE do, but it isn't necessary and no one should expect an extra tip.