Carnival Sunrise POSITIVE reviews

Caitlynhanc

I was on the Sunrise in June.  Had a great time.  Food was good in MDR except for one dinner I wasn't crazy about - the meat lasagna because it had too much meat in it and it overwhelmed the noodles. Others may like it that way.  Went to the Lido 3 times .  There was a line but it went quickly and we did get seats.  The cakes there were fantastic, better than MDR.  Had lunch at Guy's Burgers 3 times and longest wait was about 4 minutes and that was right after it opened.  The burgers and french fries were great.  Staff and fellow cruisers were all very nice.

The most congested place was by Guy's burgers.  There is an area when you leave Guys and go towards the ice cream that is very narrow.  The pools were packed.  If you want to swim it was not crowded around 8:00 AM.  Maybe there were other times they were OK too but not during the day.  Shows were good.  We didn't go to comedy club so I can't comment on that or any late night activities. Also, I don't know about children and teen activities.

So, as I said we had a good time.  Was it perfect - no, nothing is but I felt it was very similar to other cruises I've taken - 4 on Carnival and 1 on Holland.

• Like 2

I just came back from the Sunrise Monday and had a terrific time!

I didn't think the crowds were as bad as everyone here is making it out to be (except for the Deli line at the buffet).

The main pool deck was very crowded but no more crowded than on any other ship I've been on. But other deck areas, including Serenity - I had no problems getting seats any day.

CD Chris Williams was fantastic, and he was sailing with his wife and newborn daughter, who looked like she was enjoying her first cruise.

Maybe I went in with low expectations from what I read here but we had no qualms whatsoever and the ship looks beautiful!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

Would you care to elaborate?

I'll elaborate, because I agree. Many people look at a total number on paper, and already have their mind made up about crowds. Let's say Carnival added or removed 5000 square foot from the jogging track, how would that space improve or detract from your cruise? It really wouldn't.

What is actually important is venues that may be consistently over packed. Let's say you have areas that get overly congested like the Punchliner or buffet. Maybe that's where the space needs to be rethought. Maybe they start opening other options around the same time to filter people elsewhere. Maybe there's other things to look at. To simplify it, you can have 10,000 feet per person, but if the comedy club only holds 25 people, then the fix is with the comedy club situation.

They added 8% to the Sunrise. Few complained about the Triumph being crowded, but apparently this 8% has doubled the crowds. As much as I love cruising, I think the bigger problem is the summer traffic. I refuse to spend peak pricing to be on a boat with more families/kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I'll elaborate, because I agree. Many people look at a total number on paper, and already have their mind made up about crowds. Let's say Carnival added or removed 5000 square foot from the jogging track, how would that space improve or detract from your cruise? It really wouldn't.

What is actually important is venues that may be consistently over packed. Let's say you have areas that get overly congested like the Punchliner or buffet. Maybe that's where the space needs to be rethought. Maybe they start opening other options around the same time to filter people elsewhere. Maybe there's other things to look at. To simplify it, you can have 10,000 feet per person, but if the comedy club only holds 25 people, then the fix is with the comedy club situation.

They added 8% to the Sunrise. Few complained about the Triumph being crowded, but apparently this 8% has doubled the crowds. As much as I love cruising, I think the bigger problem is the summer traffic. I refuse to spend peak pricing to be on a boat with more families/kids.

While I was waiting for a reply.... you said it pretty well.  The facts are that people see this “ratio” listed and jump on it.  Most have little idea where the space comes from and and less of how much that space was utilized.  It is easy to jump on a bandwagon.  Having sailed both of these ships in their past lives and current iterations, I can tell you that my perspective is that one exception, the Sunrise feels no more crowded to us than the Triumph did.  I think they did a really good job on Lido, adding in multiple omelet stations that made it probably the easiest breakfast on lido we have seen.  Add to that the mdr is open for brunch, it is a slam dunk.  The one thing I thought they did a lousy job on was the deli.  Poorly placed and always crowded (sorry a little off track).  

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I think you've helped support the case of overcrowding on these refitted ships instead of defending them. Unless that's what you were going for, I'm losing track a bit.

It's in the common areas and popular venues where the bigger crowds are going to be felt the most. The places that draw more people the most. First, using the track as an example is comparing apples to oranges. The track doesn't see nearly the same crowds as places like the pool, theater, or comedy club. Reducing it's size will not be felt nearly as much. On the other hand, reducing the size of the main theater or comedy club, two of the most popular venues on board any given ship, then adding more people to the ship will be felt. But you don't even have to reduce the size of one of these places for it to be felt. The pool is also one of the most popular hang-outs on a ship. It wasn't made smaller, but it wasn't made bigger either. But with more people on board who use it, it will be felt.

Some want to defend it by analyzing it using numbers, but it's not just about numbers on paper. A lot of it is about the feeling of being crowded. The perception of being overcrowded. Granted, everyone feels differently about these types of things, but I don't think it can be dismissed so easily given the number of people who see the same thing.

• Like 1

I think once summer is over, the crowding may go down somewhat. Or at least I'm hoping since I'm on in September.  I think you will see less of 3rd and 4th berth passengers with kids back in school.  I think when we booked a few weeks ago for September most of the rooms available to us as 2 people were cabins with extra berths.  I know all depends on how much capacit for each muster station, but i know there were hardly any kids 2 years ago on our CA/NE sailing. DH and I were the young ones at 40. 

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

I think you've helped support the case of overcrowding on these refitted ships instead of defending them. Unless that's what you were going for, I'm losing track a bit.

It's in the common areas and popular venues where the bigger crowds are going to be felt the most. The places that draw more people the most. First, using the track as an example is comparing apples to oranges. The track doesn't see nearly the same crowds as places like the pool, theater, or comedy club. Reducing it's size will not be felt nearly as much. On the other hand, reducing the size of the main theater or comedy club, two of the most popular venues on board any given ship, then adding more people to the ship will be felt. But you don't even have to reduce the size of one of these places for it to be felt. The pool is also one of the most popular hang-outs on a ship. It wasn't made smaller, but it wasn't made bigger either. But with more people on board who use it, it will be felt.

Some want to defend it by analyzing it using numbers, but it's not just about numbers on paper. A lot of it is about the feeling of being crowded. The perception of being overcrowded. Granted, everyone feels differently about these types of things, but I don't think it can be dismissed so easily given the number of people who see the same thing.

You explained my example of the jogging track perfectly. So many people are so concerned about space ratios, but there is a ton of space that means nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care for crowding. I could care less about what cabins were added, what ratio is on what ship, etc. Some venues were crowded before, and will be crowded after. Did they really remove space from the Punchliner? Aside from Fantasy class, it is often tough to get a spot in there already.

18 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

While was tongue in cheek before, I am serious now.  That ratio, while it might give some insight to open space is probably the most misleading term out there.  Believe it or not, an opposite view maybe has value.....😎

There's your Carnival choir comment, who, obviously is also a marine architect. 🙂

• Like 4

18 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I think they did a really good job on Lido, adding in multiple omelet stations that made it probably the easiest breakfast on lido we have seen.

Did they have meat and potatoes at the Seafood Shack with Omelettes did you notice or for that matter at all omelette stations?

Edited by thesmiths

46 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

Did they have meat and potatoes at the Seafood Shack with Omelettes did you notice or for that matter at all omelette stations?

They did at sea food shack, but not at normal omelet stations

On 8/20/2019 at 8:48 PM, jimbo5544 said:

While was tongue in cheek before, I am serious now.  That ratio, while it might give some insight to open space is probably the most misleading term out there.  Believe it or not, an opposite view maybe has value.....😎

This doesn't even make sense! What they are doing to the show room and comedy club is a shame! I enjoyed my cruises on the Vista and Horizon, but hated the showrooms. To have to stand in line 30-45 minutes before a show just to try to snag a decent seat is not my idea of how I want to spend my time on a cruise! Now, they are taking these smaller ships, adding more cabins and shrinking the show room and comedy club. 

Pat

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

Thanks for all your help, Your live review and all my questions answered I am ready!

Appreciate it!

Have a wonderful cruise!  Let us all know your thoughts when you return.

31 minutes ago, quickrate said:

This doesn't even make sense! What they are doing to the show room and comedy club is a shame! I enjoyed my cruises on the Vista and Horizon, but hated the showrooms. To have to stand in line 30-45 minutes before a show just to try to snag a decent seat is not my idea of how I want to spend my time on a cruise! Now, they are taking these smaller ships, adding more cabins and shrinking the show room and comedy club. 

Pat

In my 35+ cruises on Carnival, we have never stood in line at all for a show, let alone 30 to 45 minutes (our kids did when they wanted to be in the reserved seats (participate in the show).  That said, I agree the sight lines on the Horizon are not great (from the upper level).  Show rooms in smaller, older ships were to big and were seldom (read that as almost NEVER) were packed.  In any regard, show rooms are way under utilized, shows are taking a less important role in cruising, all makes sense to me.

10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

In my 35+ cruises on Carnival, we have never stood in line at all for a show, let alone 30 to 45 minutes (our kids did when they wanted to be in the reserved seats (participate in the show).  That said, I agree the sight lines on the Horizon are not great (from the upper level).  Show rooms in smaller, older ships were to big and were seldom (read that as almost NEVER) were packed.  In any regard, show rooms are way under utilized, shows are taking a less important role in cruising, all makes sense to me.

I was on both the Vista and Horizon TAs and both ships have the horrible show rooms with bad sight lines. In order to snag a seat with good sight lines, it is necessary to stand in line. when not at theater early, we ended up in the seats that were moveable. what a joke, people scooting seats wherever they wanted, no room to get down aisles, and no where to put your drink. I'm glad you think they are taking a less important roll as everyone I cruise with truly enjoy going to the shows. I've done 33 Carnival cruises, never stood in line till these new show rooms appeared. I know you are a Carnival cheerleader, Jim, I am too most of the time but what they are doing to these ships is not something to cheer about!

Pat

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, quickrate said:

I was on both the Vista and Horizon TAs and both ships have the horrible show rooms with bad sight lines. In order to snag a seat with good sight lines, it is necessary to stand in line. when not at theater early, we ended up in the seats that were moveable. what a joke, people scooting seats wherever they wanted, no room to get down aisles, and no where to put your drink. I'm glad you think they are taking a less important roll as everyone I cruise with truly enjoy going to the shows. I've done 33 Carnival cruises, never stood in line till these new show rooms appeared. I know you are a Carnival cheerleader, Jim, I am too most of the time but what they are doing to these ships is not something to cheer about!

Pat

I just give my views....at times they are critical.  I think I mentioned the site lines being poor.  To me, that has little to do with he size.  I thought the site lines on the SUnrise to be better.  The floor area of the showroom of Vista and Horizon (Sunshine and Sunrise as well, although a little different), are part of the show (which seems to go very well).  Listen, I understand that if seeing the shows are really special to you, than this is a lessening of the experience.   My wife loves the shows...me not as much, but I do enjoy them.  Facts are, they are of less importance to Carnival cruisers (overall) then they were in the past.  Cruising is evolving (all of cruise lines), whether you and I like it or not.  Enjoy the ride...or should I say...happy cruising. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Comedy is still extremely popular on Carnival ships. If you cruise on Sunshine, it is impossible to attend a comedy show without waiting in line, with the exception of the first show of the night. For every other show, a long line forms for the upcoming show.  When the previous show is over, they empty the Limelight Lounge and then start letting in guests from the waiting line.

It’s almost impossible to watch back to back comedy shows in seats with a view of the stage. If you decide to join the long line that has formed after leaving the previous show, you will likely only find seats, if any, on the sides where you can’t see the stage, but you can watch the show on TVs on the walls. 

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Comedy is still extremely popular on Carnival ships. If you cruise on Sunshine, it is impossible to attend a comedy show without waiting in line, with the exception of the first show of the night. For every other show, a long line forms for the upcoming show.  When the previous show is over, they empty the Limelight Lounge and then start letting in guests from the waiting line.

It’s almost impossible to watch back to back comedy shows in seats with a view of the stage. If you decide to join the long line that has formed after leaving the previous show, you will likely only find seats, if any, on the sides where you can’t see the stage, but you can watch the show on TVs on the walls. 

Comedy yes, main show room never see it.  That said I do not show up 15 minutes before, but still get a good seat.  

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

😲

If that's the case, then they might as well start showing the comedy shows on cabin TV's. I'd hate to stand in line for a long time just to end up watching it on TV.

We'll be on Horizon next year and will be experiencing the smaller theater & comedy club design for the first time. That's one thing I'm not looking forward to. I don't need the best seat in the room, but I sure as heck don't want to have to stand in line 20-30 min. just for a decent line of sight.

Edited by Organized Chaos

28 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

😲

If that's the case, then they might as well start showing the comedy shows on cabin TV's. I'd hate to stand in line for a long time just to end up watching it on TV.

We'll be on Horizon next year and will be experiencing the smaller theater & comedy club design for the first time. That's one thing I'm not looking forward to. I don't need the best seat in the room, but I sure as heck don't want to have to stand in line 20-30 min. just for a decent line of sight.

If it helps, the comedy club (Limelight Lounge) on Horizon is huge compared to the one on Sunshine.