Port of San Diego

Nymich

On 9/15/2019 at 2:57 PM, Nymich said:

I was wondering what the locals think of the hop on hop off?   I figured we could see some sights and then get some shopping done at the same time.

What do you want to shop for?

Old Town Trolley Tours has been around for a long time. They have 10 stops and the complete route takes about 2.5-3 hours, without getting off. Good way to see some sights, although it is not cheap.  Would be best if you had a whole day to devote to this; risky taking this and hoping to get back to the ship on time the same day.

https://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego

9 hours ago, Splinter said:

What do you want to shop for?

Old Town Trolley Tours has been around for a long time. They have 10 stops and the complete route takes about 2.5-3 hours, without getting off. Good way to see some sights, although it is not cheap.  Would be best if you had a whole day to devote to this; risky taking this and hoping to get back to the ship on time the same day.

https://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego

We need a supermarket and a drug store that's about it!  We do have all day on Friday and our ship leaves  on Saturday.

Edited by Nymich

11 hours ago, Nymich said:

We need a supermarket and a drug store that's about it!  We do have all day on Friday and our ship leaves  on Saturday.

There is a very nice Rite Aid in Little Italy, easily walkable, and a decent Ralph's Supermarket (Krogger) about a mile away, or an Albertson's just under 2 miles away. You can use the real trolley (light rail) to get to the Albertson's.

We are getting ready to sail out of SD and we are staying at the downtown Best Western.  We are paying about $170 after taxes and they offer breakfast.

I will be seeking out a grocery store of some kind near the hotel or port to stock up on bottled water!  Hopefully there will be something nearby.

5 hours ago, willcruiseanythyme said:

We are getting ready to sail out of SD and we are staying at the downtown Best Western. ... I will be seeking out a grocery store of some kind near the hotel or port to stock up on bottled water!  Hopefully there will be something nearby.

Sorry, there are several BW's and I don't know which one you are at, but Google maps is an extraordinary resource. Just put in your hotel, and then put in grocery store, and everything nearby will come up. It's an excellent way to get to know what is in the area.

9 hours ago, willcruiseanythyme said:

We are getting ready to sail out of SD and we are staying at the downtown Best Western.  We are paying about $170 after taxes and they offer breakfast. I will be seeking out a grocery store of some kind near the hotel or port to stock up on bottled water!  Hopefully there will be something nearby.

If you are paying $170, I'll assume it is the Best Western Plus Bayside Inn.

Depending on what you mean by "stock up" for bottled water, you can go to Rite Aid, which is just two blocks away; or Ralph's (Krogger) Supermarket, 3/4 of a mile away. Also in Downtown-ish are Albertson's, Grocery Outlet, Smart & Final and Northgate Market.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 5:46 PM, MoyCoy said:

I booked Best Western Plus that was previously recommended for $139 a night.  They have a free airport shuttle and free cruise port shuttle.  They are 4 blocks from the port.  Free Breakfast, Free Wifi.  Really  good reviews on Trip advisor. Won a AAA reward for cleanliness.

.And they are walking distance  to Sea village and to Little  Italy .  I would have never booked this if it were not for the awesome CC advice.  Thank You everyone soooo much!!

BTW to get that price , you will need to sign up for their loyalty program. Really quick and easy to do.  Or use a AAA card.

We stayed at the BW Plus Bayside last year, and if you're pulling luggage it's a slight uphill climb part of the way coming from the Amtrak Station.  

Loved the hotel, and the included breakfast buffet (next door) is wonderful!!!

6 hours ago, pcur said:

We stayed at the BW Plus Bayside last year, and if you're pulling luggage it's a slight uphill climb part of the way coming from the Amtrak Station.  

Loved the hotel, and the included breakfast buffet (next door) is wonderful!!!

Rate is now $184  even with loyalty.

27 minutes ago, woody14h said:

Rate is now $184  even with loyalty.

We stayed in March 2018, and I booked through Expedia-AARP.  It would have been $167 including tax, but the AARP discount was $15.  That also included the full buffet breakfast.  Their rate on E-A is now $305!!!

It was a nice hotel, but not worth $300 a night!

I ended up at the Wyndham Bayside for $160.00 per night for two nights next March.  I probably could have done better but we have a lot of planning to do so wanted to get this out of the way.  Looking closer I am not thrilled with the balconies which offer no privacy at all.  Not sure if this is still season in SD like it is in Florida in March?  This post may cost Wyndham some rooms in the future as people read this.  Any thoughts from the locals pro's and con's?

1 minute ago, woody14h said:

Booked BW Yacht Harbor by mistake.  Same amenities but much cheaper.  Still save even by using uber for 2 days. 

For sure one of the pro's for me is being right at the port.  That I can live with even if it is more...…. it is less hassle. I was not going to compromise on that.   Glad you did well!   

2 hours ago, Nymich said:

I ended up at the Wyndham Bayside for $160.00 per night for two nights next March.  I probably could have done better but we have a lot of planning to do so wanted to get this out of the way.  Looking closer I am not thrilled with the balconies which offer no privacy at all...    This post may cost Wyndham some rooms in the future as people read this.  ...

Why do you say this? Why second-guess yourself? This is a stellar hotel and location. You will be thrilled to exit the front door, walk for 60 seconds, and get to the ship. I doubt your comment about the balcony privacy (which I disagree with, by the way - we had a balcony facing the waterfront and it was great) will dissuade anyone.

Perhaps you are overthinking this. You've been given a great review and there are things to do and places to eat nearby. Relax! You made a good choice. 😊

Having said that, if you are particular about noise, this hotel is by the airport and the jets take off and land all day long and well into the night, with the last one around 11 pm, I think? It is a noisy hotel for that reason. I wouldn't want you to not have this information.

3 hours ago, Nymich said:

I ended up at the Wyndham Bayside for $160.00 per night for two nights next March.  I probably could have done better but we have a lot of planning to do so wanted to get this out of the way.  Looking closer I am not thrilled with the balconies which offer no privacy at all.  Not sure if this is still season in SD like it is in Florida in March?  This post may cost Wyndham some rooms in the future as people read this.  Any thoughts from the locals pro's and con's?

We stayed at this location several times when it was a Holiday Inn and loved the tower rooms - great views and VERY close to the ship the next morning (just as close as going to the front desk I measured!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Langley Cruisers said:

Why do you say this? Why second-guess yourself? This is a stellar hotel and location. You will be thrilled to exit the front door, walk for 60 seconds, and get to the ship. I doubt your comment about the balcony privacy (which I disagree with, by the way - we had a balcony facing the waterfront and it was great) will dissuade anyone.

Perhaps you are overthinking this. You've been given a great review and there are things to do and places to eat nearby. Relax! You made a good choice. 😊

Having said that, if you are particular about noise, this hotel is by the airport and the jets take off and land all day long and well into the night, with the last one around 11 pm, I think? It is a noisy hotel for that reason. I wouldn't want you to not have this information.

Thanks for SOME of the feedback.  You might consider judging less or switching to decaf.