Who here would like a different Coffee Venue onboard

The main problem is the poor quality of the Royal Caribbean cafe venues. They really need to train their baristas properly. On Oasis this summer they didn’t know the difference between a flat white and a cappuccino. Their cluelessness creates the market for Starbucks. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Queen of Oakville said:

Starbucks does not interfere with the beverage package offerings.  Starbucks is excluded from all beverage packages.  

Sure it does. When a ship has a branded Starbucks location, you can't use your beverage package at it. And they dumb down the offerings at the Cafe Promenade. That's two hits to the beverage package purchasers when RCCL exploits calling something a contracted shop instead of it being considered part of the ships offerings.

2 hours ago, ThelovelyRach said:

No I like Starbucks.

Love Starbucks. The bolder the better. If RCL had decent free coffee instead of a watered down version wouldn’t need to pay extra for a good cup. Oh maybe that’s why their coffee is so bad this way coffee drinkers will pay. I pay for a good cup every day on my cruises. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dswallow said:

Sure it does. When a ship has a branded Starbucks location, you can't use your beverage package at it. And they dumb down the offerings at the Cafe Promenade. That's two hits to the beverage package purchasers when RCCL exploits calling something a contracted shop instead of it being considered part of the ships offerings.

I'm not sure what you see as dumbed-down?  On Symphony - Café Promenade offered lattes, cappucinos, espressos, various menu coffees and various coffees blended with ice.  Hubby enjoyed what I think was called a Mocha Cream Ice - which he felt was equivalent to a Starbucks Mocha Frappucino.  He was able to customize it with an extra shot, fat-free milk etc.  DD was able to customize her iced lattes with extra pumps of vanilla - just like she does at Starbucks.  Both were covered on the refreshment package.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

Does the coffee have caffeine in it? Then I don't care what company brews it. As long as it's better than the glorified nescafe coming out of the MDR, we're good here.

(That said, despite being a life long devotee of Peet's for coffee delivery and brewing at home, I love me some Starbucks. It's crappy coffee that tastes like home -- enough that the first time I was living overseas I could track which Starbucks location was my closest fix for each gate in the Miami airport)

13 hours ago, Queen of Oakville said:

I'm not sure what you see as dumbed-down?  On Symphony - Café Promenade offered lattes, cappucinos, espressos, various menu coffees and various coffees blended with ice.  Hubby enjoyed what I think was called a Mocha Cream Ice - which he felt was equivalent to a Starbucks Mocha Frappucino.  He was able to customize it with an extra shot, fat-free milk etc.  DD was able to customize her iced lattes with extra pumps of vanilla - just like she does at Starbucks.  Both were covered on the refreshment package.

I agree that it does not interfere. You are not limited to what is visible on the menu at Cafe Promenade/Latte-tudes. When Starbucks showed up on board, nothing was reduced at the other venues, so not sure how that is interfering with the beverage package.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Queen of Oakville said:

I enjoyed the Mocha Cream Ice as well. It was equivalent to a milk shake for me. I see no need for a chain brand coffee house on a cruise ship.

Americans generally prefer weaker coffee--no flavor, no nose or aroma (in my opinion), just brown water.  For me, European coffee, usually bold and dark, is my choice.  Starbuck's comes close.  Anyway, this is a subjective standard to be sure.  It's what you're used to... in the nose of the beholder.  I might also add that I, too, have never heard of the list posted by Travelplus in his OP.