Various drinks

dazlight

On the oceana I had a lot of different drinks and some thoughts on them. 

On draught peroni which was at a few bars and very nice. That was my main drink. Had a Stella as well but not a fan and also fosters which was nice but only in one bar. 

On the bottles i had doom bar a lot which is a 500ml bottle so not far off a pint. Moretti which was a small bottle so disappointed.

also had old speckled hen but was in a can which I’m not a fan. Calling was in a can too so was t happy when I ordered that as he didn’t say. 

But decent prices imo, you pay more in some high street bars now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dazlight said:

On the oceana I had a lot of different drinks and some thoughts on them. 

On draught peroni which was at a few bars and very nice. That was my main drink. Had a Stella as well but not a fan and also fosters which was nice but only in one bar. 

On the bottles i had doom bar a lot which is a 500ml bottle so not far off a pint. Moretti which was a small bottle so disappointed.

also had old speckled hen but was in a can which I’m not a fan. Calling was in a can too so was t happy when I ordered that as he didn’t say. 

But decent prices imo, you pay more in some high street bars now. 

Agree about the drinks prices being reasonable and that's one of the things we like about P&O. 👍

We have had a few well known bars/ restaurants open in our city, all good but the drink prices are sky high and much higher than P&O.

Know what you mean about some drinks being served in a can. One of my favourites is  Old Speckled Hen and you can get that on draught in certain bars on the ship so the same my apply to other beers.

Cheers and enjoy your cruise on Ventura 🍺

BTW, as its a larger ship you will find more bars and drinking venues on Ventura although as you know there are some nice bars etc on Oceana. 😀

Edited by P-L-B

One frustration for me is that you can't get draught Peroni in all the bars on ship.

I get the taste, wander up to the Crows Nest and all they can offer is Fosters on draught...

In fairness to the waiters, they will get it from nearby bars, but they obviously won't trot down 7 decks or more...

£4.80? a pint is .40p cheaper than my local, happy days.

Andy

8 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

One frustration for me is that you can't get draught Peroni in all the bars on ship.

I get the taste, wander up to the Crows Nest and all they can offer is Fosters on draught...

In fairness to the waiters, they will get it from nearby bars, but they obviously won't trot down 7 decks or more...

Andy

Just a suggestion,  if you drink in the Crows nest each evening, would it be worth letting the man behind the bar know and asking if he can get in a stock of Peroni behind the bar for you?

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

Just a suggestion,  if you drink in the Crows nest each evening, would it be worth letting the man behind the bar know and asking if he can get in a stock of Peroni behind the bar for you?

A stock of Peroni behind the bar would be a poor substitute for the draught  Peroni Andy is wanting. Draught is much more drinkable than bottled or worse still, canned and probably cheaper. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy

EEK!!!  I need to check how much the peroni is in my local tonight, but I know the carling is only £3.10

9 hours ago, pete14 said:

A stock of Peroni behind the bar would be a poor substitute for the draught  Peroni Andy is wanting. Draught is much more drinkable than bottled or worse still, canned and probably cheaper. 

Sorry,  shows you how much I know about Peroni (beer)?.   Now if they were to run out of red wine, well that would /e a tragedy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davemorton said:

EEK!!!  I need to check how much the peroni is in my local tonight, but I know the carling is only £3.10

Bottled Peroni in a supermarket is about £6.50 for 4 small bottles, so not a cheap beer.

I doubt you would see it for much less than the £4.80 or so a pint it is on board.

Andy

As a matter of interest,   why is Peroni the lager  on tap on P&O?   It's not as if Italy is the world leader in lager  production. P&O are obviously getting a major kick back from selling an insipid lager on board   when there  are so many better products available.  

4 minutes ago, dazlight said:

It’s all about the lines. Any beer on clean lines is nice. My mates owns a real a.e pub in Liverpool and they clean theirs every 3 days so every pint is pure. Not many do that resulting in bad tasting pints. 

Very good point.

I asked for a pint of draught Old Speckled Hen on a previous P&O cruise (can't remember which ship) and it didn't taste right so I ended up having cans.

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

As a matter of interest,   why is Peroni the lager  on tap on P&O?   It's not as if Italy is the world leader in lager  production. P&O are obviously getting a major kick back from selling an insipid lager on board   when there  are so many better products available.  

Peroni is not the only lager on tap, just in some bars.

Its a matter of taste, because you don't like it doesn't make it unpopular.

Its my lager of choice and believe me I've tried plenty😀

Andy 

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Peroni is no longer Italian. It is owned by the Asahi corporation in Japan and I think brewed for the UK market in the UK. I agree that there are better lagers available (e.g some Polish ones brewed in Poland) but to my taste there are many more that are considerably worse. 

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Peroni is no longer Italian. It is owned by the Asahi corporation in Japan and I think brewed for the UK market in the UK. I agree that there are better lagers available (e.g some Polish ones brewed in Poland) but to my taste there are many more that are considerably worse. 

Don't think I have tried a Polish beer yet, better put it on my list...

Peroni sells for about 50% more than a lot of lagers and is becoming increasingly popular, so can it be that bad?

It is the one draught lager that I have never had a bad pint of, so I am happy to pay the extra. Perhaps I have just been lucky.

Andy

13 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Bottled Peroni in a supermarket is about £6.50 for 4 small bottles, so not a cheap beer.

I doubt you would see it for much less than the £4.80 or so a pint it is on board.

Andy

I did my market research last night, it's £4 a pint.  I may well do some further research this afternoon, just to confirm 😉

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, P-L-B said:

I do like an occasional lager and normally prefer Kronenbourg 1664 but I will definitely try a pint or two of draught Peroni on our next cruise.

I like Krone but I find Peroni a bit crisper and more refreshing.

It also makes me dance better...😀

Not claiming to be an expert, just know what I like.

Andy

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I like Krone but I find Peroni a bit crisper and more refreshing.

It also makes me dance better...😀

Not claiming to be an expert, just know what I like.

Andy

I will definitely give it a try, but why wait until our next cruise before trying. 🍺

BTW, don't let anyone till you that us dancers only drink water. 😉😀

• Haha 1