Iguanas on Coco Cay

L&N

On 8/23/2019 at 7:41 PM, L&N said:

Booked our 3rd cruise on Anthem of the Seas.  Love this ship, and it will be our 2nd time visiting Coco Cay; however, the last time we were there, I saw sooooo many iguanas.  Silly as this may sound, I am petrified of them.  I couldn't finish my lunch while sitting at a table when I saw an iguana walking toward me.  Has anyone had any experience with iguanas while on Coco Cay?  Good or bad experience?

Just stay clear and all will be fine. Hopefully they are not ht super big ones/.

Another sure place you will run into Iquanas....St. Thomas.  Now that RCI has contract with Crown Bay, you will see those Iggies are all over the sidewalk as you walk through the gates into the touristy shop areas along the water side.  If you are not looking where you are going...you could step on one.  Many are missing tails...could be the reason.  😮 🐊

They are pretty tasty also. Had iguana stew at the old market in Curacao when visiting off the Navigator.. Little bones you have to be ready to deal with though. I asked the pleasant owner if they were farm raised. He said no. They are all over the place, we just grab 'em and cook 'em!

Edited by coaster

1 hour ago, L&N said:

Wow!  So many helpful tips about dealing with iguanas.  I’m really getting an education here.  Thanks all!

We always seem to have contentious threads about tipping, dress code, etc., but when it comes down to it, Cruise Critic rocks when it comes to cruisers helping cruisers!  😍

• Like 1

FYI:

Iguanas bite people and pets in self-defense. When assessing a situation, they will stand up on their front legs, lean forward to judge the distance, and bob their head to make them selves appear larger. The pests tend to bite more than once and are known for tearing rather than simply puncturing the skin. Iguana bites generally require stitches.

Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but I didn’t get to read all the responses above. In our experience there are many of them (plus chickens). More likely an issue if you are in the more private areas (bungalows, etc). I know it likely won’t make you feel much better, but they really don’t want anything to do with the humans hanging around so you should be able to avoid them pretty easily.

856E11A1-F1C2-4045-876C-1CFB22B3E624.jpeg