TS/Hurricane brewing in the Caribbean

cruiseanon32

Allure will (unexpectedly) be the sixth big cruise ship in Cozumel on Friday 8/30.

Is it a day to stay on the ship - or be at one of the all-inclusive beach resorts, i.e. Nachi or Sanchos? What would you do?

So if the itinerary is indeed changing, when will we officially be told? Since I've never experienced a full itinerary change like this, should I expect the excursions desk to be jammed packed?  Maybe we can book excursions on the app? Just wondering how they manage this type of change with the masses.  Thx

Edited by 5thgirl
Left a word out

12 minutes ago, 5thgirl said:

So if the itinerary is indeed changing, when will we officially be told? Since I've never experienced a full itinerary change like this, should I expect the excursions desk to be jammed packed?  Maybe we can book excursions on the app? Just wondering how they manage this type of change with the masses.  Thx

I am guessing the changes in excursions will able to be dealt with once onboard 

2 minutes ago, minnie00 said:

I am guessing the changes in excursions will able to be dealt with once onboard 

Yes for sure, but I am dreading spending precious vacation time in a line of hundreds of others looking to book new excursions.  Just hoping they have a standard plan to manage the volume

3 hours ago, Nado44 said:

Fun thought to keep things positive around here...

If the Allure perchance remains at sea for additional night(s), will RCL's Crown and Anchor program credit our accounts with the additional nights?

Yes they have in the past. 

I’ve been affected by hurricanes all three of my Allure cruises, and I’m booked on Allure for 9/8! I will say Royal Caribbean did a fantastic job in dealing with all three! First one was in September of 2012. Port Everglades closed for all ships going into or out on Saturday afternoon. We had flown in pre cruise Saturday, and started hearing Allure would come in Tuesday. We immediately booked the hotel we were in for two more nights. Royal Caribbean went above and beyond for all guests on that cruise, paying for hotels, food, and giving OBC for guests or allowing people to cancel. Next one I was affected on, I was already on Allure in October of 2016, hurricane hit south Florida and went on up the coast to port Canaveral. I had a rental car booked in Ft Lauderdale to drive to change ships to Freedom same day in Port Canaveral. Hurricane damage but no problem for me, other than a little worry! Last one was a b2b for the 2017 September Irma cruise. Flights canceled, hotels evacuated in Ft Lauderdale, and Allure left on Tuesday instead of Sunday. If another hurricane affects my Allure cruise 9/8, I won’t be surprised!

Royal doesn’t want their ships, crew or guests caught in a hurricane! They will change itineraries or stay out at sea to avoid hurricanes. If you book cruises during hurricane season, just go with it! Have a great experience, and don’t sweat the small stuff! Life’s too short! 

5 hours ago, 5thgirl said:

Yes for sure, but I am dreading spending precious vacation time in a line of hundreds of others looking to book new excursions.  Just hoping they have a standard plan to manage the volume

The schedule has been updated in the RCL app. I can see the new available excursions. I bet that once you’re on board, you can make the excursion purchase via the interactive menu on your stateroom’s TV. 

10 hours ago, Nado44 said:

Allure will (unexpectedly) be the sixth big cruise ship in Cozumel on Friday 8/30.

Is it a day to stay on the ship - or be at one of the all-inclusive beach resorts, i.e. Nachi or Sanchos? What would you do?

We were at Nachi when there where more ships than usual in Cozumel due to a hurricane (I think it was Irma? But not sure) ....anyway Nachi accepted more reservations than usual and it was much less relaxing, more of a party atmosphere that time....just so you know

17 minutes ago, saltycat said:

We were at Nachi when there where more ships than usual in Cozumel due to a hurricane (I think it was Irma? But not sure) ....anyway Nachi accepted more reservations than usual and it was much less relaxing, more of a party atmosphere that time....just so you know

I would highly recommend Mr. Sanchos- vs Nacho- been to both. Sanchos just a couple of weeks ago.    Cruising at the end of August through end of october often a problem due to hurricanes.  Prices typically reflect the potental for a hurricane.  The captains do a good job trying to avoid any dangerous area- but sometimes a problem.

14 hours ago, 5thgirl said:

Every cruise line, and every cruise with a last minute change, is a different experience.  If a new cruise port is not already loaded, they will quickly line up their usual excursions but it may not be until you get on board.  Some ports may be very short of excursions if there are ships already in... and sometimes excursions come in by drips and drabs... so you play a waiting game... book now before full or wait for something better?  It's annoying.  We did that with a sudden change to Cozumel at 9pm the night before. Only to have many excursions canceled for bad weather the next day!

Flying into San Juan on 8/29/19, the day the hurricane is supposed to hit. We are sailing from San Juan on 9/1/19. UGH! The flight is the biggest issue. I'm sure the storm will be gone by the time the ship sails. Still, I hope all will be safe. Let's hope the storm doesn't gather strength. Puerto Rico has been through so much as well as many of the islands since Maria. 

4 hours ago, mortician510 said:

3 hurricanes, Cruising Grandma? we just returned last week from our second cruise on Allure - Remind me not to book the same cruise as you are sailing 😉 Just kidding - I love your attitude. Have a good time!

Oh, I’ve been affected by hurricanes many more times, years ago from NJ or NY to Bermuda and others from Florida !😃 My husband and I began cruising in 1995, and both us loved it! Sadly, my husband passed away May 14, 2019. We did go on our last cruise together a month before he died. I’m so blessed to have many, many great cruise friends, several who will be on Allure with me. With all the stress from the last three months, I am just ready for a cruise with friends. It really doesn’t matter where the ship goes, or if we have to hole up in the hotel a few days.....we are staying in the same hotel I’ve been in pre cruise all my other Allure cruises. It will be a welcome relief from what I’ve been doing here at home.

• Like 4

Thanks for that very inspiring post for my wife and me. We began cruising later in life but love it and are making many wonderful memories as well. Who knows? Perhaps our paths may cross some day! Enjoy your sail Sept 8 on Allure with your friends.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jayneanne said:

Has anyone heard any changes for Royal Caribbean August 31 departure Miami

(symphony of the seas)

They switched some itineraries for this week but haven't announced changes for cruises departing this weekend... clearly they are trying to get a firmer forecast to avoid interrupting too many vacations.  So there could be a flurry of changes come Thursday and Friday (2 days before departures.)  Following the RC Chief Meteorologist (link above) is a great way to see what's happening on that cruise line.

I wonder where the cut-off is for bringing the ship into port/sending it out. Do they still sail if it's a tropical storm and not a hurricane? How bad does it have to be for Allure not to come in or go out on Sunday? It looks like Port Everglades will be getting some kind of rain/wind on 9/1. 

I'm stressing because I think we may need a plan B for my daughter's wedding.