Will Carnival ever get rid of "All adults must buy Cheers" rule?

bobbyandali

18 minutes ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

I for one know I bought the package for myself on Princess and not my husband and we did not share.  We often went to a bar that offered a special of buy one drink get one free for my husband when he wanted something.  Both of us can really take or leave the drinks, we can enjoy a trip without them and he can enjoy a trip with them.  We have both had packages and made good use of them.  Though honestly I think the price on Carnival is a bit high, in comparison to the cost of some drinks I might order.  

Still debating on whether to try and buy on our upcoming 6 night cruise or not.  I am really on the fence about it, because I can enjoy myself and only have 2-3 drinks a day, or I could have 6 or 7.  

carnivals price is cheap compared to ncl. the drink package is around 100 bucks a day if you don't have the free package.

38 minutes ago, linbobky said:

carnivals price is cheap compared to ncl. the drink package is around 100 bucks a day if you don't have the free package.

I only do on NCL when it was part of the booking.  I got a drink package on Royal Allure for $32 a day last year, which is an excellent price and do to their screw up earlier this year I have the Harmony with $18 a day drink packages.  So $52 for Carnival is a tad on the higher side of what I would like to pay.  

4 hours ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

I only do on NCL when it was part of the booking.  I got a drink package on Royal Allure for $32 a day last year, which is an excellent price and do to their screw up earlier this year I have the Harmony with $18 a day drink packages.  So $52 for Carnival is a tad on the higher side of what I would like to pay.  

You do know when it is part of the booking, you are still paying for it....right?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

You do know when it is part of the booking, you are still paying for it....right?

I know how to look at my overall total, and add the cost of the drink package to a booking that doesn't offer it and look at my entire cost.  I account for everything, airline costs versus driving, adding service charges/gratuity.  I have booked an NCL cruise with the drink package that was cheaper than booking a cabin with drink package on another line.  

Edited by mom2tcdx2

2 minutes ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

I know how to look at my overall total, and add the cost of the drink package to a booking that doesn't offer it and look at my my entire cost.  I account for everything, airline costs versus driving, adding service charges/gratuity.  I have booked an NCL cruise with the drink package that was cheaper than booking a cabin with drink package on another line.  

Not what I asked...... it is not free....period.  

Edited by jimbo5544

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not what I asked...... it is not free....period.  

I never used the word free, I said when it was part of my booking.  And I have seen the cost of it way less when added to their sailings than it's cost if you add it without it being on the promo.  For instance a cruise to Alaska a cabin without drink package is 2372, with drink package is 2849 - that is $477 for 2 people for a drink package - $34 a day which is cheaper than the cost Carnival offers.  So in this instance if I were to buy the package an add to the cheaper cabin it would cost more than the included promo.  

A Carnival cruise same date range is $2149 plus $858 for the drink package comes out to $3007 - so again the included promo still comes out to a better price.  So when I look at those type of things I take that all into consideration.  

I also take into account the ship which the NCL Bliss is probably a bit better than the Carnival Spirit.  So while not free taking the drink package is still a better option in this instance (at least for me it is).  

On 9/5/2019 at 12:09 PM, mom2tcdx2 said:

I for one know I bought the package for myself on Princess and not my husband and we did not share.  We often went to a bar that offered a special of buy one drink get one free for my husband when he wanted something.  Both of us can really take or leave the drinks, we can enjoy a trip without them and he can enjoy a trip with them.  We have both had packages and made good use of them.  Though honestly I think the price on Carnival is a bit high, in comparison to the cost of some drinks I might order.  

Still debating on whether to try and buy on our upcoming 6 night cruise or not.  I am really on the fence about it, because I can enjoy myself and only have 2-3 drinks a day, or I could have 6 or 7.  

I would set aside the cost of Cheers and apply it to your account rather than actually purchasing Cheers.  You need to average the 6 or 7 per day, so if you have a day you only feel like 2-3, you would need 10-11 drinks the next day to balance it out.  If you come close or go a little over, then you know that Cheers might be a good purchase in the future.  If you are significantly under, then you get your money back.

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

I would set aside the cost of Cheers and apply it to your account rather than actually purchasing Cheers.  You need to average the 6 or 7 per day, so if you have a day you only feel like 2-3, you would need 10-11 drinks the next day to balance it out.  If you come close or go a little over, then you know that Cheers might be a good purchase in the future.  If you are significantly under, then you get your money back.

You have to consider what you are drinking to know if Cheers works for you. For example, on our most recent cruise my wife mainly drank some red wine at $14.95 a glass. It only took her 3 drinks a day for Cheers to benefit her, when you consider the several speciality coffees and waters she drinks every day.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

I never used the word free, I said when it was part of my booking.  And I have seen the cost of it way less when added to their sailings than it's cost if you add it without it being on the promo.  For instance a cruise to Alaska a cabin without drink package is 2372, with drink package is 2849 - that is $477 for 2 people for a drink package - $34 a day which is cheaper than the cost Carnival offers.  So in this instance if I were to buy the package an add to the cheaper cabin it would cost more than the included promo.  

A Carnival cruise same date range is $2149 plus $858 for the drink package comes out to $3007 - so again the included promo still comes out to a better price.  So when I look at those type of things I take that all into consideration.  

I also take into account the ship which the NCL Bliss is probably a bit better than the Carnival Spirit.  So while not free taking the drink package is still a better option in this instance (at least for me it is).  

You are correct I did.  I was not questioning your decision to sail NCL or your logic, just making the point.  I was on the Bliss, she has some very nice features.  She also has an amazing amount of opportunity for pay.  Options are a good thing, happy cruising.

No changes will be made to Cheers. The package is not just an alcohol package. It is an unlimited non alcoholic package featuring 15 alcoholic drinks at $20 max per drink. That is the reason for the stipulation. Even if someone dont drink alcohol does not mean they will not be able to utilize the package.

• Thanks 1