Viking Europe Tipping Question

Paulchili

10 hours ago, pontac said:

And for UKers in the USA...

Here we tip on few occasions and 10% is standard in restaurants.

Mrs P and I take it turns to pay for dinner when abroad. A few years ago we were in Missouri and ate in the same restaurant for the week we were in one small place. I added 20% rounded up, next night she added 10%, next night I added 20%, then her 10%. I  only saw what she added at the end and she wouldn't believe me that 20% was the minimum she should add. (I insisted, and we had a big 'discussion' in our room that night).

Goodness knows what the restaurant staff thought - tho' they were never less than welcoming.

I tip 20% of the pre-tax total, but 15-18% is still considered normal – so an easy way to do the math is to double the sales tax amount that is shown on the bill.  [Thankfully we never allowed our politicians to hide the tax as VAT does – I believe this makes them think carefully before raising, knowing that we will see it every time we buy anything right up until election day...]

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I tip 20% of the pre-tax total, but 15-18% is still considered normal – so an easy way to do the math is to double the sales tax amount that is shown on the bill.  [Thankfully we never allowed our politicians to hide the tax as VAT does – I believe this makes them think carefully before raising, knowing that we will see it every time we buy anything right up until election day...]

But any machine that offers percentage choices are always on the after tax total. (And we in Canada use them all the time.)