Medallion vs Cruise Card

Signet

1 hour ago, J&Dhighdesert said:

Two families are scheduled for a Christmas cruise on the Royal.  I like the ideas of the medallion locating members of your party.  My question is, do you gave to carry a phone to locate them? 

Thanks in advance.

Not necessary. You can find their location from one of the many boards located on every deck. It doesn't provide an exact spot but at least it gives the general vicinity, such as show lounge, DR or aft pool. 

2 hours ago, J&Dhighdesert said:

Two families are scheduled for a Christmas cruise on the Royal.  I like the ideas of the medallion locating members of your party.  My question is, do you gave to carry a phone to locate them? 

Thanks in advance.

There are screens at the elevators and other locations around the ship that you can do location of others at.

• 5 months later...

I also collect my sign & sail cards   this Jan. Cruise on the Royal I asked Purser  all he had was Ruby Stock so I took it

will take it back this April & ask again :): Some of the " cards" older on are paper ~~ It means something to we collectors no one else cares <(* *)>

Seababe

There will always be an option to get a cruise card. With the Medallion comes a warning for people with pacemakers so from a liability standpoint Princess must offer an alternative. I got a cruise card earlier this month and it's easier to carry for me since I hate the long dangling lanyard the medallion is on. I also feel uncomfortable with the tracking and mining of data.  I got my card at guest services and locked the medallion in the room safe. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

2 hours ago, seababe said:

I also collect my sign & sail cards   this Jan. Cruise on the Royal I asked Purser  all he had was Ruby Stock so I took it

will take it back this April & ask again :): Some of the " cards" older on are paper ~~ It means something to we collectors no one else cares <(* *)>

Seababe

Mr. Pcur cares!!  He has all our cards back to 1998 for all our cruises.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:57 AM, J&Dhighdesert said:

Thanks in advance.

You need to use the App on your phone to locate them, all you need is a Medallion to be located.

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Mr. Pcur cares!!  He has all our cards back to 1998 for all our cruises.

Oh so do I !  Plus brochures ~ luggage tags   a few dishes   ~

crew stuff 

The kids won't want this stuff ~ lets enjoy

Thanks Seababe  & Seabouy

Found the warning that comes with the medallion

The information booklet that comes with the Medallion has this warning

"CAUTION:  Product contains  magnets which could be harmful to pacemaker users and others with medical implants.  The Ocean Medallion should be kept at least 6" away from pacemakers and other sensitive medical equipment. "

On 8/31/2019 at 11:57 AM, Pam in CA said:

What I REALLY liked was that the Medallion doesn't de-magnetize. Can't tell you how many times I've gone back to my cabin only to find that the dam card wouldn't work and I'd have to traipse back to the Passenger Services Desk, wait in line, and get a new one. (A real PITA.)

Ironically, on my first medallion cruise on the Regal last July, my medallion DID demagnetize (or at least, it stopped working) - the guest services chap took it out of the case and took it out the back and brought it back good as new.  It WAS a huge PITA and it only happened the once but it can happen.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:06 AM, caribill said:

Or you can use one of the many public screens around the ship.

Yes, Oh, and if you lose your Medallion & someone else finds, they can locate your cabin with it 😞 Check out this video that someone else posted in CC - about 4:30 into it. How is this not seen as a bit concerning?  I also wonder, if you touch the card to the screen does it provide the same access to information? Seems like it would...

1 hour ago, CruiseVA said:

Yes, Oh, and if you lose your Medallion & someone else finds, they can locate your cabin with it 😞 Check out this video that someone else posted in CC - about 4:30 into it. How is this not seen as a bit concerning?  I also wonder, if you touch the card to the screen does it provide the same access to information? Seems like it would...

I've come to the conclusion that no one on any of the ships really cares (not that they could do anything about it anyway). Even when you point out the security flaw to them they just try to think up an explanation as to how it's safe even though anything they say doesn't make much sense.

....and no having a card won't work with the touch screens around the ship.

• Thanks 1