Bringing wine on board from a port stop

msmayor

We're sailing Eurodam in October, doing the 11-night from Vancouver to San Diego to Mexican Riviera back to San Diego.  HAL sold it as a 4-night and a 7-night, but also sold it as one 11-night...that's how we booked, as one cruise.

We plan to bring two bottles of wine on board at embarkation in Vancouver which I know is permitted without corkage fees.  We'll be stopping in Santa Barbara before getting to San Diego and we're going to visit some wineries.  

If I find some wine that I really like and want to buy a bottle or two, will we be able have those bottles held until we get to San Diego, then use them as two additional 'free' bottles for the embarkation in San Diego, or would we just pay the corkage to be able to drink them on board?

15 minutes ago, msmayor said:

We're sailing Eurodam in October, doing the 11-night from Vancouver to San Diego to Mexican Riviera back to San Diego.  HAL sold it as a 4-night and a 7-night, but also sold it as one 11-night...that's how we booked, as one cruise.

We plan to bring two bottles of wine on board at embarkation in Vancouver which I know is permitted without corkage fees.  We'll be stopping in Santa Barbara before getting to San Diego and we're going to visit some wineries.  

If I find some wine that I really like and want to buy a bottle or two, will we be able have those bottles held until we get to San Diego, then use them as two additional 'free' bottles for the embarkation in San Diego, or would we just pay the corkage to be able to drink them on board?

If you booked it as one cruise then no you won’t be able to get it free of charge.

they will either hold it until you are ready to disembark or you will have the option to pay corkage.

If you are on a HAL wine tour, you are allowed to bring one bottle pp, I believe without a problem.

Thank you Kazu and Freestyle - 

It is a HAL tour that we are taking, so I will ask about the possibility of bringing a bottle back on board with us before we take the tour.  Anything we purchase and carry I'd want to drink before we head home, as we really won't be able to easily transport it back.

56 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Thank you Kazu and Freestyle - 

It is a HAL tour that we are taking, so I will ask about the possibility of bringing a bottle back on board with us before we take the tour.  Anything we purchase and carry I'd want to drink before we head home, as we really won't be able to easily transport it back.

Normally on HAL winery tours, you are allowed to bring a bottle back without corkage.

Worst case scenario, if you have a great bottle of wine, you pay the corkage and enjoy it on board 😄 

• Like 1

Is there a limit, per cruise or even per port, regarding how many bottles we can bring onboard throughout a cruise to drink?   Or could they care less as long as we pay the corkage fee?

Edited by zelker

8 minutes ago, Canadian Cruise said:

If you bring more than one bottle of wine per person on board and pay the $18 corkage charge, is there any additional charge if you then take a bottle to the MDR? 

None.  From the 2019 WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO -

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD Each guest 21^ years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage.  This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.