Tipping for valet parking?

Extra Kim

We were at a hotel in Baltimore and there was only Valet parking.We were there several days.The first time we took the car out we gave the person $2.The next time we took the car out we were told that tipping was not necessary and that was the same response regardless of whomever got our car.

On the day we checked out we wanted to tip the guy and he would not take anything.

2 hours ago, Husky61 said:

Isn't that a decision you should make?

Well I live in a country were we next to never tip. The exception would be at some restuarants. 

I would never tip for valet parking in Sweden, but we try to adapt to the local customs when we travel.

17 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

They charge $35/day and we stay there for five nights.

Well then - you've already paid for the valet service.

In my experience across Hawaii on multiple occasions in better hotels, I've never paid a gratuity during our our stay and have never seen an expectation for a tip when you are a multiday visitor. Coming for dinner on a particular night is a different story. 

At the end of your stay, should you feel that you somehow experienced "extraordinary service" (hard to imagine unless they're constantly parking your car in the driveway and have it running with A/C every time you need it), a tip might be in order.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 2

I fly to Hawaii quit often for business. My stays could be 3 days, they could be 30 days.

I normally tip only once. Either at pickup in the morning or delivery when I turn the car in for the evening.

How much and when depends on the service. Do I have to wait around or are they running to take care of me.

My amounts are usually somewhere between $3 and $5.