New bookings only frustration

Xcelsior

4 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Thanks John 👍. I've never been able to, but didn't read the terms and conditions.  Now I know. 

Phil 

Just checked the latest t&c’s online for Celebrity and Azamara and this is very much the up to date wording. 
Both mention the £75pp change fee, but Celebrity allow Elite and above one free change per booking, Azamara do not offer this concession.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 2:09 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

This topic is about changing your booking to a higher grade of cabin at a price that reflects the current difference difference between these cabin grades. However remember Azamara also have an upgrade system where once you get to round about 90 days before a cruise you can bid to upgrade ( see the sticky topic Upgrade Bid Experiences).

Only if you qualify for a bid. .  I've also since learned that last minute voyage bookings don't allow you to bid either.

4 hours ago, Xcelsior said:

Only if you qualify for a bid. .  I've also since learned that last minute voyage bookings don't allow you to bid either.

What do you mean if you qualify?  Did the link I posted above just say sorry, you can't make a bid?  Just interested. The bid system precludes some fare types (guarantees for one) so it won't let you bid if you have one of those or possibly a deeply discounted or specially rated fare. 

Phil 

• Like 1

I tried this week to secure a paid for upgrade for two upcoming cruises which are fully paid for. In both cruises the sum quoted was more than a new booking at current prices despite what we’ve already paid . I had submitted my request through LCV in the hope I got a sensible figure that was correct. Assuming the figure was correct it’s really stupid. 

The loyalty upgrade isn’t really working from the guests perspective why not look at other ways to sensibly price upgrades and offer then to existing passengers?  

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

Good luck with that and I mean that sincerely.  Based on my recent experience with a different but logical pricing request/suggestion through LCV, I don't see it happening.  They no longer seem to have the authority they once had as my issue was referred to their accounting/financial/pricing (can't remember the exact name) department  which was the decision-maker. The LCV dept. has changed from the past just like the erosion of some loyalty benefits.

12 minutes ago, Anchor Light said:

Good luck with that and I mean that sincerely.  Based on my recent experience with a different but logical pricing request/suggestion through LCV, I don't see it happening.  They no longer seem to have the authority they once had as my issue was referred to their accounting/financial/pricing (can't remember the exact name) department  which was the decision-maker. The LCV dept. has changed from the past just like the erosion of some loyalty benefits.

The name is Revenue Management and it says it all....

• Like 2

On 9/21/2019 at 12:46 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

What do you mean if you qualify?  Did the link I posted above just say sorry, you can't make a bid?  Just interested. The bid system precludes some fare types (guarantees for one) so it won't let you bid if you have one of those or possibly a deeply discounted or specially rated fare. 

Phil 

Yes that's correct.  It said I was not eligible to bid.  Agent told me it was because I was now on a Last Minute Sailing fare and they are not eligible.  Whatever.  I really think their pricing is a joke.  I would never EVER book with Azamara until within the 120 day prior to sailing window.  Their prices drop like a rock and everybody who has been booked for a year or two in advance are treated very poorly.  Back to Celebrity I go.

31 minutes ago, Xcelsior said:

Yes that's correct.  It said I was not eligible to bid.  Agent told me it was because I was now on a Last Minute Sailing fare and they are not eligible.  Whatever.  I really think their pricing is a joke.  I would never EVER book with Azamara until within the 120 day prior to sailing window.  Their prices drop like a rock and everybody who has been booked for a year or two in advance are treated very poorly.  Back to Celebrity I go.

Ok. Understand. Of course you have to make your own decision as regards going back to Celebrity. Personally speaking the experiences are very different and I will pay a premium for Azamara, but not way too much. Thing is, I'd rather save my money for an Azamara cruise than take a Celebrity one I'm not happy doing. 

The price drops on Azamara are sometimes large and this further makes a bit of joke out of another LCV benefit of booking onboard and getting a discount.  But not everyone can leave booking late and Azamara realise. Of course, if they price the cruises too high and are left with lots of cabins to sell there are beginning to be price drops before final payment. Well from my observations anyway. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2019 at 10:16 PM, uktog said:

The loyalty upgrade isn’t really working from the guests perspective why not look at other ways to sensibly price upgrades and offer then to existing passengers?  

In the past our Upgrade Program was exclusively a LCV loyalty benefit. Under the new Azamara Upgrade Program it is open to first-time guests as well as return guests, with returning guests given priority in the bidding process.

That said, I will pass your opinion along to the powers that be.

* Eligibility

Only a stateroom that has been purchased by either the guest or someone authorized to make an Offer on guest’s behalf is eligible for the Program (the “Guest”). If Azamara selects a booking to participate in the Program, Azamara will email an invitation to that booking to submit an Offer. Azamara makes no representation to any person that an invitation to participate will be issued, an offer or upgrade will be reviewed, accepted, made available, or processed, regardless of stateroom availability. Your booking must be after final payment and reservation must have been booked under full fare or eligible marketplace promotion only. Excluded bookings include: Complimentary sailings, Contracted Groups, Certificates, Seminar at Sea, Charter voyages, Travel Agent rates, Interline guests, employee rates and last minute voyages. If you are a loyalty member, your offer will be prioritized based on your loyalty tier. 

• Like 1

To Xcelsior & TorontoGuy, I am surprised and sincerely apologize for any unsatisfactory treatment you've received from our Customer Service. I am surprised because we have a great and professional team now located stateside.

I had reason to talk with them prior to my just-completed sailing around Japan and they were excellent (and, no, the two different agents did not know I am employed remotely by AZ.)

As others above have said, if a guest is booked through a TA, our team is restricted in what they can share or do for a guest directly. That is part of our agreement with our travel partners. But still they should always be polite in explaining this. Again, I apologize on our behalf.

• Like 2

We are booked on Journey for 30 Nov and 7 Dec, via a US TA, and I had enquired as to upgrade pricing. The TA contacted Az, and came back with pricing which was acceptable to us. When I went to bed at 1am UK time, the agent was about to call and book a firm upgrade....she told me they would confirm by email and collect payment today. 

This morning, I rose to the unwelcome news that the Az agent (allegedly new) had 'misquoted' and the only way to get the pricing quoted is to cancel (50% penalty) and rebook. She has suggested the best option now is to enquire onboard, as Az will not change their booking policy pre-cruise....not convinced there is any chance of that!

I am trying to be objective, and not get too despondent as an Az newbie (45 cruises on various other cruiselines)....especially as I have read many posts about lack of true incentives towards loyal customers!

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1

Yes these late bookers are getting much much better deals on the 30th November cruise, we asked to upgrade and were quoted through the LCV team an UPGRADE (difference) price that was higher than the price to make a new booking from scratch.

I can understand why it is hard to be objective, we too are reminding ourselves how good onboard life might be.....but at what price....

• Like 2

On 9/25/2019 at 5:02 AM, hamrag said:

We are booked on Journey for 30 Nov and 7 Dec, via a US TA, and I had enquired as to upgrade pricing. The TA contacted Az, and came back with pricing which was acceptable to us. When I went to bed at 1am UK time, the agent was about to call and book a firm upgrade....she told me they would confirm by email and collect payment today. 

This morning, I rose to the unwelcome news that the Az agent (allegedly new) had 'misquoted' and the only way to get the pricing quoted is to cancel (50% penalty) and rebook. She has suggested the best option now is to enquire onboard, as Az will not change their booking policy pre-cruise....not convinced there is any chance of that!

I am trying to be objective, and not get too despondent as an Az newbie (45 cruises on various other cruiselines)....especially as I have read many posts about lack of true incentives towards loyal customers!

Yep.  This is exactly what I ran into.  The answer from the agents at Azamara is essentially "Too bad, so sad.".  It's crap.  Loyal customers who stick with Celebrity and Azamara get treated worse than new customers.  I think it stinks.  When I originally booked my cruise the old upgrade program was in place and I filled out the form to participate in that.  Azamara didn't even let me know they cancelled that program.  I had to learn about the new upgrade bidding program on Cruise Critic.  Another fail.