‘Live From’ Spirit of Discovery, 5th-12th September.

cinnamon

We shared a table for 6 at a 7.30 booking. When we arrived a little early there was another very pleasant couple already seated with whom we enjoyed good conversation. After waiting till 7.40 we gave up and ordered. Eventually the other couple arrived at 7.50. As s result they were behind us with their meal. Not the most satisfactory arrangement but couldn’t be helped. 

The chefs came round after we’d finished and the whole team wanted to be in the photo for the  blog. They deserved our praise. 

7F4E3BF6-A86E-422D-AB80-1FBB0268FE87.jpeg

Picked up pilot at the entrance to the fjord at 8.00 am. 

Its a bit chilly at 11 C, 52 F bit we’re blessed with a gorgeous blue sky and sunshine. We’ll be sailing 5 hours through the fjords into the anchoring point at Geiranger ready for tendering by 2.00. 

In order to use the tenders everyone has to complete a Step Test between 11.00 and 12.30. This is a first for us but with so many people who are a little unsteady on their feet I can understand why they need to do it. 

There is a Chaplain on every cruise apparently and as we are not in port there is an Interdenominational church service at 9.30 in the Britannia Lounge. 

What is crazy though is for the good port lecturer to be speaking about Stavanger at 11.00 am when the views will be so good. We’ve got the whole day at sea tomorrow when this could have been scheduled.  

AF70230E-B43D-45F4-9134-356C165FC1E4.jpeg

Everyone going ashore via tenders on our Queen Victoria cruise last month also had to complete a step test. I haven’t experienced it before with them, more H&S I suppose, but this does seem sensible.

On QV the lectures are usually replayed on the TV.

I would prefer to watch the sail in myself.

You are enjoying beautiful weather in spite of it being chilly.

Yes, the lectures are on tv too so we’ll watch it tomorrow. 

Internet is very spotty today. Can’t blame it on the fjords though as it was non existent earlier before we entered and picked up the pilot. 

Service was lovely with a great pianist accompanying the hymns. There was a good turnout and it was really special to praise the Lord surrounded by stunning scenery. We have sun on our balcony but the air temperature is really cool to sit out and there’s quite a wind blowing. DH has just come in for more clothing after sitting for a couple of minutes. However, I’d rather have cold and clear than warmer and cloudy or wet any day. 

FADD2083-A046-4995-8325-CD2752470034.jpeg

4 times round the Promenade deck is 1 mile. Bit chilly, though I did walk 32 minutes....... needed to get in my steps. What I like is that the forward section is covered, like a tunnel, so no need to be blown off your feet with the wind whilst moving at speed. 

EF3F5617-1888-47DE-A698-6A36BA429B02.jpeg

The Suitor waterfall, opposite the Seven Sisters. There is a legend about ‘him’ courting the women on the other side. 

Captain Nick is turning the ship through 360 degrees so everyone gets a good view. 

Ive had to switch to iPad which doesn’t have such a good camera as my iPhone which needed charging. 

FD66DA90-29B5-4E90-855A-D9E5B23AD0CA.jpeg

Edited by cinnamon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cinnamon said:

Yes, the lectures are on tv too so we’ll watch it tomorrow. 

That’s good.  There were lots of complaints about this on our cruise and on the last day they seemed to have it sorted.  

Enjoying reliving our cruise by following your blog.  Thank you. 

Fab blog and wonderful pics.  Corinne - Saga should pay you a retainer as I am sure lots of people will be booking on the ship as a result of this blog.   The seafood looks amazing - am I right in recalling that there is no surcharge for the speciality restaurants?  If not, how much extra was it.  I will be booking a cruise just for the seafood.  

Specialty restaurants included but you can only book one then another after you’ve been to the first. On a longer cruise it would be easier but on 7 nights it’s more difficult. 

Edited by cinnamon
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Glenndale said:

Everyone going ashore via tenders on our Queen Victoria cruise last month also had to complete a step test. I haven’t experienced it before with them, more H&S I suppose, but this does seem sensible.

On QV the lectures are usually replayed on the TV.

I would prefer to watch the sail in myself.

You are enjoying beautiful weather in spite of it being chilly.

Yes, The step test has recently been introduced across the fleet of Cunard since the very tragic accident on the Queen Elizabeth  a year or so ago. A lady fell between the tender and the ship ( into the sea below ) Sadly never survived .

Interesting that the 'Step Test' has now been introduce on other cruise lines where tendering is used. 

Edited by Bell Boy

16 hours ago, cinnamon said:

Coast to Coast truly lived up to the ‘Special’ description. DH and I have in the past seen Seafood platters on menus in the Mediterranean at eye watering prices. Well here, you have to order it for two people and we are so pleased we did. 

Lobster, Langoustine, Shrimp, King Crab legs, Crab claws, Mussels and assorted other small shellfish. 

4E6F2FCF-4C6B-4C0D-BD8B-FA03828D8700.jpeg

WOW ! this is the first thing I'll be booking next month. Looks right up my street. 

What a day!  Will write it all up tomorrow as it’s a sea day, leaving Geirangerfjord around 7.00 am. 

The Step Test. 2 lines drawn on the floor, 40 cm apart. Had to show you could step across unaided. Same as stepping from ship to tender over a gap. 

Yesterday was one of the most memorable days in many years. 

Breakfast in the buffet sitting by the window as we begun our passage into Geiranger Fjord. 

At 9.30 we had a Sunday morning service in the Britannia Lounge. The pianist played a Melody of hymn tunes quietly as we entered, a modern and traditional mix which set a wonderful atmosphere. The sermon was short but both entertaining and meaningful, we sang 3 hymns and there was a communion at the end although an opportunity to slip away after thevmain service if it wasn’t your tradition to take the sacrament. It was described as Interdenominational but in reality was very Anglican. Of course, all through the hour during the service we could see the stunning scenery as we sailed deeper into the Fjord. 

50E1E8A4-C520-4923-BEFD-485534A5D4EB.jpeg

Edited by cinnamon
  • Like 1