Back to Back Cruise Rome (Civitavecchia)

sabrefan

We have an upcoming cruise the end of October that is our first back to back on the Marina. The changeover port is Rome (Civitavecchia) we have been to Rome before, so we are planning on walking into the town of Civitavecchia for right now. Just wondering if we are required to be off the ship at a certain time? We do have the same cabin for each 7 day leg of this back to back. Also, can we reboard at anytime once we have left the ship to walk into town? I have reviewed the Civitavecchia web site and it looks like their market in old town would be something of interest. We would also be interested in good lunch restaurants in Civitavecchia that others on this board have enjoyed.

It's been a while since I did a B2B there but if I remember correctly we didn't have to clear the ship at any particular time. I do think you'll need to take the port shuttle to the main gate. I'd suggest checking the Italy ports of call board for the details on that. 

You should/will get a transit pass that allows you to bypass the check in section of the terminal and re enter the same way the crew does. 

I have no idea about any place to eat there.

It's generally good form to let your steward know that there's no need to worry about your room as they have so much other work to do turning the other rooms. 

FWIW, on the B2B's I've been on they serve a special lunch just for the people on the B2B. The funniest thing I've seen was when a regular had boarded the ship that day and insisted he and his friend be seated. The maître de tactfully explained to him that he was welcome to sit there but wouldn't be served lunch. If he wanted to eat he would need to go to The Terrace or Waves. Good for him for standing his ground. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sabrefan said:

We have an upcoming cruise the end of October that is our first back to back on the Marina. The changeover port is Rome (Civitavecchia) we have been to Rome before, so we are planning on walking into the town of Civitavecchia for right now. Just wondering if we are required to be off the ship at a certain time?

Some ports outside of the USA  ports  you will have to disembark  but a lot it will be just like  a port day

You will usually get a letter in your cabin with instructions  if you  need to get off while  the ship is  cleared

US ports you MUST get off

We've been on during a turnaround in Rome, but were not required to get off.  We did use the opportunity to go see Ostia Antica and Cerveteri Etruscan Necropolis -  which is easier to get to from Civitavecchia than from Rome. It was off season, early November 2018 and there was no one there.  Stefano Rome Tours did a great job driving.  Cost was 92 euro PP for 6 of us.

We also attended two of the "turnaround" lunches later in the cruise,  which were very nice.  You will get an invite to that in the first week to RSVP.

Sabrefan,

You didn't ask about this but just FYI

We've been to Rome many times before and next year we too have a turnaround in Rome on a B2B

We plan on taking a tour to Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio with one of the local tour operators (like limoinrome):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civita_di_Bagnoregio

We had a turn-around in Civitavecchia in May 2018 and did not have to leave the ship.  We had a lunch for stay-over passengers in the GDR and were planning on going into town but decided against it when I saw the length of the walk to the Fortress.  This is just outside the port but for US it was a long walk.  Plus we'd staying in Civitavecchia the prior November for several days.

I have a wonderful restaurant I could recommend but I think they only do dinner ...

Aha!  I just checked. Il Fuoco di Bacco opens at noon.  Their website is https://*****.com/y4y4rty3.

It's a small place so reservations are essential.  The chef goes to the market in the morning and picks up the food he wants to prepare, so you don't know what you'll get until you are there.  We were there for dinner and had a very substantial (and delicious) dinner.  I don't know what they do for lunch but you could always ask.  I'm not the only CC member who's enjoyed a meal here!  You can also check them out at Trip Advisor.

I THINK it was walking distance from the port but can't say for sure since we were staying at a hotel there.

Despite what Caroldoll has said, we found it interesting.  A friend of mine who was there about 6 months ago took my advice for a trip slightly out of town (by train) and had a wonderful time.  She was there alone with an Italian lady who translated for her.  Feel free to email me if you want further suggestions about what to do there.  With only a few hours, lunch might do it!

Mura

We had a btb cruise (Marina) with changeover port in Civitavecchia last spring. No need to leave the ship before a certain time. It is very easy to walk from the ship into town. Not overly interesting, though.

There was no lunch for btb guests in the restaurant.There was also no lunch for btb guests on our btb in November (2018) on Marina. When we asked why there was no lunch, we were told that there were only a few btb guests. We had already met a lot of guests who were also btb, so we question this reason and considered it a further cost cutting by oceania. 

Keep in mind, that breakfast times will be very early and busy on changeover days, maybe roomservice will be an option.