Is there a way to check out how full a ship is prior to buying?

mano2020

I have had some bargains over the years but I think the best value bargain is 598€ including two free at sea perks for an inside cabin on Spirit leaving Rome on 15 December coming (my birthday). It was this price for a few weeks but now has gone back up again.

We chose sailaway at 499€ then paid an extra 99€ for the perks (including perk gratuities). We have been assigned a  1D which is now selling at 682€ plus 99€.

I'm happy I booked when I did

The cheapest I have seen is $299 plus tax for a 7 day in Europe, 2 days before sailing in June. The airfare last minute was $1500, not enough savings to book.  Another deal is $399 inside plus tax, I have seen several times but never booked because the flights were too expensive. $1700 for four in an aft balcony was my best price ever, or same price on a 9 day inside in Europe.

18 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

At what price would you immediately book a sail away balcony deal?

There are a load of variables, and what works for me not not work for you. I'm single, retired, live near a port, and can leave on a moments notice....But if i bring someone who has a more rigid schedule, I might have to book more in advance. It also depends on the destination and what I feel like doing...Whether I want to do a lot of activities and excursions, or just relax on the deck.

And of course the risk of waiting is the prices could go up....That would probably only be if they get the ships close to full, and at this point they have a long ways to go.

Do a mock booking at least once or twice a week and see how the ships fill up...Or plan a Florida vacation and leave from a port there....There seems to be a LOT more deals from Florida.

Good luck to you!!

Leaving from FL would require airfare. Even with the NCL "free" airfare i would not be interested in the stress of having to fly in the same day that the ship leaves. We are an hour from the NYC Pierre and there is a commuter bus that goes to the Port Authority. From there it's a 10 minute tax ride. So I can travel at a moment's notice but I like the 13th because it interferes less with school. I work from home. So I would take some PTO, get the internet package and work one day or two half days on the ship.

This whole fare jostling has been debated here ad infinitum.  Not sure any of us know for certain, and NCL isn't saying.  Just like with the upgrade algorithm.  We don't know how it works.

You can kind of "guess" how full the ship if you do a "phantom" booking.  But, even there, I've done that and seen plenty of cabins available for the cruise I'm interested in, only to come back and hour or two later and it being sold out.

If you see a fare that appeals, book it.  Always look at the total cost (Fare+fees+airfaire, if any+ perks, if any, etc).  I've talked to more than one person who booked a Sailaway balcony fare only to get a $1,500+ invoice at the end of the cruise for the "extras" like drinks, internet, etc.  That means it wasn't such a deal in the end.

Yes, I could see how that could happen. I was just reading an article by a NCL cruiser who explained that none of the drinks she wanted such as a can of soda was included in the "free package". The free internet is only 250 minutes and I think it may be $1 a minute after that. That would not happen to me as I monitor my account to make sure there are no mysterious charges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoniMommy said:

Leaving from FL would require airfare. Even with the NCL "free" airfare i would not be interested in the stress of having to fly in the same day that the ship leaves. We are an hour from the NYC Pierre and there is a commuter bus that goes to the Port Authority. From there it's a 10 minute tax ride. So I can travel at a moment's notice but I like the 13th because it interferes less with school. I work from home. So I would take some PTO, get the internet package and work one day or two half days on the ship.

I wasn't suggesting flying the same day as your cruise...and that's why I said, what works for me not not for you. I live in NY too, 2 hours from the pier, and the last time I went to Daytona Beach, we left NY at 6 am and checked into our hotel in FL. at 11 pm....But I can see with 2 young children that might not work. Just an idea.

Yeah, the ships like to keep their booking policies a mystery, and for a good reason. They don't want to make it easy for bargain hunters, and they want to make the most they can....and none of their "free" giveaways are really free. For me a sailaway balcony would work. I don't drink alcohol OR soda, don't care about internet. and I can get a few meal upgrades for $100...and things like the go-carts or laser tag, and spa are extra in nearly every class you can sail in.

Here's  question, since we are way off topic anyways. Whats the difference between a sailaway balcony and a guarantee balcony?? Is it just that you can get the  extras included for "free" with the guarantee room? 

NCL "free airfare" requires you to fly in day of. I can only do last minute from NY and Cape Liberty, NJ both of which are an hour away. My understanding is that a guarantee comes with "free extras". Whereas a Sail Away comes with no "perks". The lowest balcony with the perk of 3rd and 4th guest is about 200 more than the Sail Away balcony. I dont desire any of the perks. 

On 9/11/2019 at 11:38 PM, MaryZ said:

Usually 60 days and the prices bottom out on sailaway.  After that, they can start processing upsells, so you might find pricing on balconies goes up.
Remember that a lot of colleges across the country are already closed for holiday break that week.  So they will fill the ship. 
So that also changes the equation for this sailing.

There isn’t an”magic “number.  And-  it isn’t “usually “.     Every cruise stands on it’s own.     I’ll speculate I pick up last minute more than most and have seen it all.  😀😀.     There is no predictability.  The past has Nothing to do with the future.   

Flexibility. Is a key to success.     

• Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 12:00 AM, MoniMommy said:

What's the lowest anyone has ever paid for a 7 or 8 day cruise?

$199/299. For 10 days.  😀😀.  2016/17

This is past May/June.   Started. $299 Gem,   Last day-  booked Bliss for 2 days later. $449,   1 day later.  Jumped on the Jewel for 5 weeks.   3 weeks $249,  2 weeks at $299.   4 with double Cruise Next deposits.     All the rest were single redemption 

these also also were all solo rates.   😀

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

$199/299. For 10 days.  😀😀.  

This is past May/June.   Started. $299 Gem,   Last day-  booked Bliss for 2 days later. $449,   1 day later.  Jumped on the Jewel for 5 weeks.   3 weeks $249,  2 weeks at $299.   4 with double Cruise Next deposits.     

Awesome!! Now there's some deals, neighbor!! 

Yeah the cruise I went on in early June this year had ridiculously cheap fares too, the final 2 weeks. It was a rude awakening to the "book early and save"  line...As you said, flexibility is everything, with a little luck thrown in for good measures!

18 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

What is the cost and perk associated with a cruise next deposit?

If you sail NCL and don’t use them you are throwing away money.     On board you buy future Cruise Next deposits.    Each has a face value of $250.   Good for 4 years on a future cruise- 6 days or longer.    Buying 2 or more. — You are charged the face value of $250. Each.    At the same time of the purchase-  NCL credits you  $125 for each purchase.     You will PAY $125.  But get $250 each deposit- posted to your Latitudes Account.   

Best -  is the current promotion.  2 deposits can be redeemed per cabin.    So you save at least $250.  

21 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I frequently book less than a week prior.   

How do you usually book? Do you use an agent? Can I ask that question here, lol?

How about the Cruise Next deposits? They can only be used if you book direct through NCL, correct??

14 minutes ago, mano2020 said:

How do you usually book? Do you use an agent? Can I ask that question here, lol?

How about the Cruise Next deposits? They can only be used if you book direct through NCL, correct??

Nope CN. Are a form of payment.  Can always be used- no matter how you book.    As long as you owe more than the deposit. Value.  

It varies how I book.  But very late, off hours,  a single cabin available.  Booking online is “necessary “.   I can’t afford to loose the cabin wasting time. And I need a confirmation.   Many agents are not accurate with inventory.    

If I have time- I will use an agent as long as extra money comes my way.   Otherwise direct with NCL.   

• Like 1

When pricing cruises you need to do the base cost inc tax and unless a meany the grats.

The fish and the plum are good for weeding out the deals they capture NCL rates not the TA discounted/kickback/package rates but are a good indicator of what will be available

Occasionally there are price errors then you book on-line ASAP and avoid alerting a TA or cruise line by talking to someone.

Current NCL cheap cruises(base+tax+grats) on a 2pax pppd basis

$57 22/11/2019 16n Epic TA

$63 20/10/2019 19n Getaway TA

$64 22/11/2019 14n Star TA

$66 25/10/2019 14n Gem Boston

$75 Dawn out of NY B2B 24sept 25 night 

base on its own for the Dawn is $35pppd or $245pp 7 day equivilent,  look the cheapest before the extras.

solo the order changes and prices can go up or down.

UK there are some negative solo sups on some sailaway fares.

Also the free at sea is done differently and  can be added to sailaway rates sometimes cheaper than the US depending what you want. 

Free at sea cost(depending on cruise length) is about the same as the dinners included, making the drinks package a bonus.

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

If I book a sail away balcony and a sail away mini suite comes down in price, can I pay to upgrade to the sail away mini suite. The terms and conditions for sail away rate state, "New Individual FIT Reservations only" so does that mean I can't upgrade to another sail away rate? What if the non sailaway rate comes down some, can I pay to upgrade to the non sail away rate? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had a crystal ball. Any predictions on how low this price can go. 8 days on GEM from NYC on Dec 13th: current balcony is 349 sail away (3 people). I decided to book the 8 day cruise on the GEM on Dec 13 a few weeks ago. My sail away rate was 414 per person (3 people) for a balcony and now the sail away rate is $349. Would have saved $200 by waiting. I know I might be able to get $50 OBC but I am going to go ahead and wait some more. We are almost 60 days out and there seems to be alot of balconies left. I am hoping that the lowest NOT sail away balcony rate which is now 433 per person (down from 499) will go down by at least 100. Then I will call and upgrade and will only have to pay a little extra plus gratuities for the free at sea offers. Two passengers are children so this decreases the gratuities since the child can only have the soda package. Any predictions on how low a cruise can go?

On 9/17/2019 at 1:07 PM, graphicguy said:

SAILAWAY means no perks.  I’ve booked a GTY before and received all the perks, but usually they only include 1 or 2.

We booked on 9/28 for the Escape 10/20 7 day to Bermuda out of NYC. We had the choice of two Balcony sailaway prices:

• $499 pp for no perks
  • $699 pp for all the perks (UBP, SDP, Internet, Shore Ex Credit)

Also we got free gratuities and $50 OBC from the TA. We ended up with a nice BB balcony on deck 13. Very happy with the location.

• Like 1