Move Over Offer to Downgrade Our Stateroom???!!!

Time For Dreaming

Will be sailing on the Royal Princess for the 12-night Alaska cruise out of San Pedro, CA on September 17, 2019.

Just got a Move Over Offer email to downgrade our standard mini-suite on the Aloha Deck to an obstructed balcony somewhere on the ship.  And they will give us 50% off our cruise fare via On Board Credit.

Never heard of such a thing.  Why would they do this?  First of all, we have no interest in downgrading and second--there's no way we could spend that amount of money on-board.

Why would they do this?

Thank you.

18 minutes ago, Time For Dreaming said:

Will be sailing on the Royal Princess for the 12-night Alaska cruise out of San Pedro, CA on September 17, 2019.

Just got a Move Over Offer email to downgrade our standard mini-suite on the Aloha Deck to an obstructed balcony somewhere on the ship.  And they will give us 50% off our cruise fare via On Board Credit.

Never heard of such a thing.  Why would they do this?  First of all, we have no interest in downgrading and second--there's no way we could spend that amount of money on-board.

Why would they do this?

Thank you.

The cruise is oversold.

It happens all the time.

Princess has been doing this forever.

This is how they fill their ships.

All that unused extra money should be refundable which it should explain in the offer.

They will sweeten the offer until they get enough takers.

Thank-you voljeep for the information.  That would be a substantial "refund."  However, had we wanted a less expensive cruise price, we would have booked a less costly stateroom.  We're just fussy about such things - type of stateroom and location of it.

Would think that response to this offer will be brisk. So  Good Luck to anyone taking advantage of it.  You might even be able to take another cruise!!!  Wow!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Time For Dreaming said:

Thank-you voljeep for the information.  That would be a substantial "refund."  However, had we wanted a less expensive cruise price, we would have booked a less costly stateroom.  We're just fussy about such things - type of stateroom and location of it.

Would think that response to this offer will be brisk. So  Good Luck to anyone taking advantage of it.  You might even be able to take another cruise!!!  Wow!

That is a true "Move Over" offer ... where Princess wants/needs your cabin, but doesn't have another one on the ship to offer you ...

so , at least in our case, we got a 100% OBC to 'move over' to another cruise date ... we went from a 5 day cruise to a fully paid 7 day cruise and had the 5 day cruise fare as refundable credit on the 7 day...

we were very fortunate our schedules permitted that  ... no flying involved

We got a downgrade offer on a 3 day cruise.  50% of our fare as OBC (base fare) to go from a mini to a balcony.  We jumped on it.  We have some other OBC (stockholder, fcc, etc) and did get a check back, even with 2 nights of specialty dining.   We had some issues with how it played out (long story short the room was still set for the original occupants) and got the other fare as OBC on a future cruise.

We are Elite, but we are also not particularly wealthy. We always choose inside/outside cabins. It would be difficult for us to turn down a 'downsell', let alone a 'move over', no matter how much we wanted the cruise. OTOH, we only ever really get upsells we mostly cannot take. Oh well, a day at sea is great no matter. 

Please send 'move-over's'!

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 5:41 AM, MotownVoice said:

My kinda cruiser!

Me too. I want an aft balcony as close the middle as possible and I book stupid early so I can get it. I never accept move overs. If I wanted a cheaper room I would have accepted it. For cruisers who aren't so picky though, it can be lucrative. I have a friend who ended up with 3 sailings for the price of one because she was willing to downgrade to an inside cabin.