Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
OllieandMissie

Seasickness

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Your suggestion then would be like saying everyone gets seasick when they go to bed and close their eyes.

It might have been easier to grasp if the original statement had said "conflict between the eyes (what you see OR DON"T SEE)" and the inner ear. Obviously not everyone feels that conflict.

 

How do you get from "when moving" to "go to bed"? A very false equivalence.

 

Your last sentence directly contradicts the first post of yours that I quoted, post #42.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thank NavyBankerTeacher for his follow-up comments.

 

I did NOT say that some (a very small percentage well down into the single digits) do experience more last seasickness.  But let's get real here, folks, we are talking to someone (the OP) who did not say that they are motion sick all of the time in a car, bus or whatever.  The concern was seasickness in a ship, and her experience was in a fairly rough body of water.  FOR THE MAJORITY of people, seasickness will pass in a day or two at the most.  It would be absurd to talk to someone who has not expressed serious issues about the tiny percentage of people who have serious problems that cannot easily be dealt with.  We could, if we chose, scare everyone who comes on these boards by saying that they are likely to get seasick and not recover and will hate every minute of their trip.  That should do wonders for the average person who comes here looking for advice.  I was talking about the average person, I said that most people get better in a day or two, and that is, frankly, absolutely correct.  I view our job here as one to help the OPs, and give them the best of our advice.  If someone wants to scare the daylights out of every visitor, have a good time.  But that won't be for me.  I have spent well over 1,000 days at sea in all kinds of weather and seas, and to be sure, there are some people who have to go to the point of using the patch, and maybe that does not even solve it, but I was giving my best thoughts after a lot of time on the water, in all sizes of boats and ships, and think that NavyBankerTeacher and I are talking to the vast majority.  If someone comes and says that they have serious problems even on land, and I have answered such questions on these boards in my time, I tell them in more detail what their options are up to and including the patch.  For the normal answer, I stand by what I have said, and I think that anyone who stresses the small number of people who are unable to adjust is indeed doing a terrible disservice to the average OP.

 

Enough said for crying out loud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 11:55 PM, OllieandMissie said:

I’ve been advised that Scopolamine patches are best but will need to get them from my GP and alcohol is banned with them! Stugeron ( cinnarizine) don’t work and Dramamine only available in USA. Sea-bands, ginger etc are hopeless! Any suggestions gratefully received! 

The only thing that works for me is Ginger pills that I begin taking 3 days before the cruise begins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who at the age of 60-something still gets motion sickness (planes, trains, automobiles, and cruise ships), I stand by Meclizine.  I take one the night before we leave (if I'm going to get sleepy because of it, no worries, I'm in bed), and 1 every night thereafter for the duration of our trip.  I regularly have cocktails and wine on cruises and other vacations, without side effects, but that's just me.  Your experience may differ.

 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

As someone who at the age of 60-something still gets motion sickness (planes, trains, automobiles, and cruise ships), I stand by Meclizine.  I take one the night before we leave (if I'm going to get sleepy because of it, no worries, I'm in bed), and 1 every night thereafter for the duration of our trip.  I regularly have cocktails and wine on cruises and other vacations, without side effects, but that's just me.  Your experience may differ.

 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Meclizine makes me dizzy.I have had several falls and near falls while taking it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lenquixote66 said:

Meclizine makes me dizzy.I have had several falls and near falls while taking it.

Obviously it isn't for you, then.  Have you talked with your physician about options?

 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ger_77 said:

Obviously it isn't for you, then.  Have you talked with your physician about options?

 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

No. I use ginger pills.I take 2 a day with an 8 ounce glass of water 3 days prior to the cruise and 2 the first 2 days of  the cruise and I am fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, broberts said:

 

How do you get from "when moving" to "go to bed"? A very false equivalence.

 

Your last sentence directly contradicts the first post of yours that I quoted, post #42.

I didn’t make that equivalence. 

You have your posters mixed up and are very confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For people who don't have access to meclizine, it is handed out for free at Guest Services and the Medical Facility on all Royal Caribbean ships, no questions asked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 7:35 PM, brillohead said:

For people who don't have access to meclizine, it is handed out for free at Guest Services and the Medical Facility on all Royal Caribbean ships, no questions asked.

I usually only get sea sick on a small boat traveling to shore on rough water.  We booked the panoramic cabin on the 12th floor for this cruise, so I'm being cautious and thinking of asking my doctor for this med.  So, are you saying I should just go to guest services and get this in case I might need it???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dramamama628 said:

I usually only get sea sick on a small boat traveling to shore on rough water.  We booked the panoramic cabin on the 12th floor for this cruise, so I'm being cautious and thinking of asking my doctor for this med.  So, are you saying I should just go to guest services and get this in case I might need it???

 

If you are taking any prescription medication or have any medical issues I'd advise talking with your doctor before taking Meclizine. It may be perfectly safe for you, it may not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dramamama628 said:

I usually only get sea sick on a small boat traveling to shore on rough water.  We booked the panoramic cabin on the 12th floor for this cruise, so I'm being cautious and thinking of asking my doctor for this med.  So, are you saying I should just go to guest services and get this in case I might need it???


Yes, if you think it might be an issue.  They have it in little packets with two doses per pack (looks kinda like a sugar packet).  You don't need a prescription for it, although as with any medication you should check with your doctor or pharmacist for possible interactions with any known health conditions or other medications or supplements you may be taking.

Another recommendation is to never let your stomach get completely empty -- it's a bit like morning sickness in pregnancy, where it's worse if you have an empty stomach.  Eating snacks throughout the day and having some fruit or something small before getting out of bed in the morning can make a huge difference for some folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...