Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

9 hours ago, mandream said:

Not on the same ship, but similar times in Port.  We're on the Constellation rather than the Edge.

You make a good point that the real issue with our plan hinges on lunch in Soller.  That actually isn't a requirement - only I saw you had recommended Cafe Soller I checked their website and seemed like a good choice for both my kids (ages 10 and 11) and my wife who is vegan. Lunch in Palma would make things easier.

Soooo...... do you have any recommendations for a good restaurant in Palma that would have vegan options?  Less concerned about the kids as they can be more flexible but my wife is strictly vegan. 

Thanks again for all your help.

Hi, This restaurant is in the main avenue in Palma not far from anywhere a 20 min walk from the station .

https://enjoygroup.es/en/born8/

https://enjoygroup.es/carta-born8/

Enjoy !! Roger

On 7/27/2022 at 11:37 PM, sddsddean said:

Thanks...is there a seperate queue for reserved seats?

Simon

Hi Simon ,

I have only seen one queue , but I have not travelled on the train for 3 years .

I would not worry to much You will catch the train you have booked.

Roger

Hi Roger B - I and 3 others are planning your trip from cruise port to Soller and Port de Soller in reverse that you recommended. Gangway down and all aboard at 3:30. We plan to get taxi for the 4 of us asap in AM to Port de Soller. Short look around there and then tram to Soller. Then 12:15p train from Soller back to Palma. We will have quick lunch and shopping in Palma and then back to the ship. 

Here's the questions: (1) Given the shortage of available taxis, are we more likely to find a taxi from the port or from Placa d'Espanya? (2) If we manage to catch a taxi from the port, will we be able to buy tickets one-way from Placa d'Espanya back to ship? (3) Can you recommend a taxi/transport company we can book online for the trip from cruise port to Port de Soller? I've researched but can only find airport transport available to book online. Thank you so much!

3 hours ago, look2thec said:

Hi Roger B - I and 3 others are planning your trip from cruise port to Soller and Port de Soller in reverse that you recommended. Gangway down and all aboard at 3:30. We plan to get taxi for the 4 of us asap in AM to Port de Soller. Short look around there and then tram to Soller. Then 12:15p train from Soller back to Palma. We will have quick lunch and shopping in Palma and then back to the ship. 

Here's the questions: (1) Given the shortage of available taxis, are we more likely to find a taxi from the port or from Placa d'Espanya? (2) If we manage to catch a taxi from the port, will we be able to buy tickets one-way from Placa d'Espanya back to ship? (3) Can you recommend a taxi/transport company we can book online for the trip from cruise port to Port de Soller? I've researched but can only find airport transport available to book online. Thank you so much!

Hi

you should be able to get a taxi from the port to port de Soller ,don' try going to PE.if no taxi at port get the shuttle bus into town you will find plenty taxis there and it is only a 10 min ride.

Buy your tickets for the return journey  from the ticket office in Port de Soller..

You will not need to find a taxi in Palma when you get back there to return to the ship as there are plenty in Palma .

Roger

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JuliaMS said:

Why Soller? I see a lot of comments about going there for a short visit. This is our first time in Spain, what is in Soller to see or do?

Hi One of the main reasons for taking a trip to Soller is the antique train ride.which gives a veiw of the beautiful Majocian countryside  and visit to a lovely  old town.

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/soller/.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 12:46 PM, roger b said:

Hi I recommend  you go by taxi as the bus will involve two changes to get to Valdemossa,  you will need two taxis but you will find this is the easiest  as your mother has a walker. 

The Arab baths are in the centre  of the old town and i dont think a taxi can drop you close to it  is quite a walk from the Cathedral ( very difficult for your mother).

Stick ot Valdemossa and the Cathedral  

Roger

Thanks - we will go with your recommendation. We would like to stop for a light lunch and want to try something local. Any recommendations for a restaurant in Valldemossa - or in Palma near the Cathedral?

On 7/27/2022 at 10:56 PM, mandream said:

Not on the same ship, but similar times in Port.  We're on the Constellation rather than the Edge.

You make a good point that the real issue with our plan hinges on lunch in Soller.  That actually isn't a requirement - only I saw you had recommended Cafe Soller I checked their website and seemed like a good choice for both my kids (ages 10 and 11) and my wife who is vegan. Lunch in Palma would make things easier.

Soooo...... do you have any recommendations for a good restaurant in Palma that would have vegan options?  Less concerned about the kids as they can be more flexible but my wife is strictly vegan. 

Thanks again for all your help.

My favourite restaurant in Valdemossa  is Troya restaurant  not spanish but good food and the best view from thr terrace

In Palma  near the Cathedral  very Spanish Tapas ,there is Bovida or if you want delicious aisian/ Spanish small plates I would go for Ombu tapas or Born 8 .

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Roger B,

We are  on Azamara Onward arriving on Wednesday, October 26, in port from 8AM - 10PM so a nice long day for the train to Soller and still have time to spend a few hours in Palma before getting back onboard.  At this point we will be halfway through a month's trip with no "off" days so I don't want to make this day a frantic race against the clock.  The train looks like a way to relax and enjoy the views.   The ship is doing their Destination Celebration this night so we want to enjoy that, too.     

I've now read through both of your DIY threads (great info!) and have a couple of questions based on the probable shuttle schedule, the train and bus schedules.   

I found a review of an Azamara cruise in Oct. 2019 and it looks like Azamara's shuttles started 1 hour after arrival time, running every 30 minutes.   I don't know if that will be different now.

Looking at the train website, it shows the first train at 10:10 but I noticed you mention 10:30.   Does the schedule change in October?  

Looking at the bus schedule, if we did your suggested itinerary (train, an hour in Soller, tram to port, lunch, bus return to Palma), I see the buses are at 13:00 and then 15:15, so the latter seems the earliest we could take.   Am I missing something here?

Based on the websites you mentioned for sights to see in Palma, I've mapped out a route which I suppose we could cover in about 2-3 hours.   We'd like to be back on board for dinner around 7  so we can attend the 8:30 on board event.

Do you see any advantage time-wise to doing this in reverse - that is bus to Puerto de Soller, tram to Soller, train to Palma?   If we did this,  where do we get the 211 bus in Palma?  And, can we buy  tram and train tickets in the port or would we have to get each ticket separately?  

Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

9 hours ago, the mice said:

Hello Roger B,

We are  on Azamara Onward arriving on Wednesday, October 26, in port from 8AM - 10PM so a nice long day for the train to Soller and still have time to spend a few hours in Palma before getting back onboard.  At this point we will be halfway through a month's trip with no "off" days so I don't want to make this day a frantic race against the clock.  The train looks like a way to relax and enjoy the views.   The ship is doing their Destination Celebration this night so we want to enjoy that, too.     

I've now read through both of your DIY threads (great info!) and have a couple of questions based on the probable shuttle schedule, the train and bus schedules.   

I found a review of an Azamara cruise in Oct. 2019 and it looks like Azamara's shuttles started 1 hour after arrival time, running every 30 minutes.   I don't know if that will be different now.

Looking at the train website, it shows the first train at 10:10 but I noticed you mention 10:30.   Does the schedule change in October?  

Looking at the bus schedule, if we did your suggested itinerary (train, an hour in Soller, tram to port, lunch, bus return to Palma), I see the buses are at 13:00 and then 15:15, so the latter seems the earliest we could take.   Am I missing something here?

Based on the websites you mentioned for sights to see in Palma, I've mapped out a route which I suppose we could cover in about 2-3 hours.   We'd like to be back on board for dinner around 7  so we can attend the 8:30 on board event.

Do you see any advantage time-wise to doing this in reverse - that is bus to Puerto de Soller, tram to Soller, train to Palma?   If we did this,  where do we get the 211 bus in Palma?  And, can we buy  tram and train tickets in the port or would we have to get each ticket separately?  

Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

Hi ,

You are coming at a perfect time October is my favourite  month , As you are coming in October and you want to maximize  your time .

I would get a taxi from the port to port de Soller (around $30/40 ) you can have a coffee  and a look around , get the tram back to Soller have a look around this very pretty village ,try to get the 10.50 train back to Palma arrives 11.50 .

Buy your tickets at the tram station in the middle of the seafront in P de Soller  see google maps .

This will give you plenty of time in Palma .

Have a great day Roger!!

Edited by roger b
Missed something

2 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi ,

You are coming at a perfect time October is my favourite  month , As you are coming in October and you want to maximize  your time .

I would get a taxi from the port to port de Soller (around $30/40 ) you can have a coffee  and a look around , get the tram back to Soller have a look around this very pretty village ,try to get the 10.50 train back to Palma arrives 11.50 .

Buy your tickets at the tram station in the middle of the seafront in P de Soller  see google maps .

This will give you plenty of time in Palma .

Have a great day Roger!!

Hmm, that sounds like a bit of a race for me.  Assuming we could get off by 8:30 and get a taxi post haste, we would get to the port by 9: or so.  then if we take the 10:50 train, that's just about 1.5 hours between the port and Soller itself.  I don't think my DH would appreciate that. 

I guess I will go back and look at the schedules for bus, train adn tram and figure out a game plan.  

3 hours ago, the mice said:

Hmm, that sounds like a bit of a race for me.  Assuming we could get off by 8:30 and get a taxi post haste, we would get to the port by 9: or so.  then if we take the 10:50 train, that's just about 1.5 hours between the port and Soller itself.  I don't think my DH would appreciate that. 

I guess I will go back and look at the schedules for bus, train adn tram and figure out a game plan.  

Ok, 1.5 hrs should  be plenty of time if you are worried about it  look at it taking the first train at 10.15 this should work arrive Soller 11.15 .tram to p de Soĺler 11.30 try to find a taxi back to Palma in P de Soller not sure about this if not you will have to take the bus it runs every hour No 204

https://www.tib.org/ca/linies-i-horaris/autobus/-/linia/204

Personally  I would  try to take a taxi back as is will drop you in the center  .

Remember  to get to the train station in Palma and you take the shuttle bus  you will have 20/30 mins walk to the station. 

The choice  is yours either way you have plenty  of time !! 

I was hoping to spend about an hour in Soller - otherwise my DH is going to wonder why we are doing this at all.  He's not quite the travel maven I am and definitely out of practice due to 2+ years of not traveling so just hopping on/off trains, trams, buses and /or taxis without a bit time spent looking around isn't the best idea (I know how to stay happily married for almost 37 years 😉)

So, there is a bus 204 that runs more frequently than the 211?   

Is this a different company?   Do you get it at the same place as the 211 in P de Soller?

You said a taxi drops us in the center of Palma, so bus 204 does not?   When I look at the bus route, it lists "Estacio Intermodal" as the last stop in Palma.   When I put that in Google Maps, the Placa Mayor comes up.  Is this where this one stops?  

Thanks for enduring all my questions.  You are a great help. 

14 minutes ago, the mice said:

I was hoping to spend about an hour in Soller - otherwise my DH is going to wonder why we are doing this at all.  He's not quite the travel maven I am and definitely out of practice due to 2+ years of not traveling so just hopping on/off trains, trams, buses and /or taxis without a bit time spent looking around isn't the best idea (I know how to stay happily married for almost 37 years 😉)

So, there is a bus 204 that runs more frequently than the 211?   

Is this a different company?   Do you get it at the same place as the 211 in P de Soller?

You said a taxi drops us in the center of Palma, so bus 204 does not?   When I look at the bus route, it lists "Estacio Intermodal" as the last stop in Palma.   When I put that in Google Maps, the Placa Mayor comes up.  Is this where this one stops?  

Thanks for enduring all my questions.  You are a great help. 

OK, I see the bus station now (Estacio Intermodal) - next over from the train.   

But still confused as to the different buses - 211, 204.   Thx.

6 hours ago, the mice said:

OK, I see the bus station now (Estacio Intermodal) - next over from the train.   

But still confused as to the different buses - 211, 204.   Thx.

Edited by roger b
Entered twice

1 minute ago, roger b said:

Hi ,not sure about the 211 bus this might be an old No for this route i see it says 2014 , I will be in P de Soller  tomorrow  and will check it out yes the last stop is the Plaza Espana ,the walk back through  the center  of town  via plaza Mayor .

With some of of the high points of the town .

Main market,a couple of  nice churches, lòk at the last building  on the right after exiting th P Mayor it is by Gaudi, ending with the Cathedral (a must see) .Will get back to with the bus No

Roger 

Roger, you are the best!  And your helpfulness is so very appreciated. If you can find out the bus times that would be really useful, but no matter what,  you have given me so much info that I am sure I can make a plan that works. Thank you!!!!!  

hi all/mostly roger, sorry. first off, can't believe you answer questions day in and day out here! that's so helpful and kind and i appreciate you!

since COVID has changed the landscape of restaurants/bars/etc, a lot of the old advice may be out of date so -- any favorites in Palma for wine bars/sangria, paella, general snacking, and where to find a good ensaimada? finally, our ship offers excursions to two wineries/vineyards - Ramanya and Ribas - any thoughts?

24 minutes ago, xerenthar said:

hi all/mostly roger, sorry. first off, can't believe you answer questions day in and day out here! that's so helpful and kind and i appreciate you!

since COVID has changed the landscape of restaurants/bars/etc, a lot of the old advice may be out of date so -- any favorites in Palma for wine bars/sangria, paella, general snacking, and where to find a good ensaimada? finally, our ship offers excursions to two wineries/vineyards - Ramanya and Ribas - any thoughts?

Hi, The place to go fo the best tapas is El Camino its really buzzy and the in place to go (you will have to book ).

https://www.elcaminopalma.es/

If you can't get in go to the area Santa Catalina where you are spoilt for choice .

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/santa-catalina-palma/

The winery tour from the ship would also be good as you would see more of the beautiful Majorcan countryside both wines are excellent. 

Roger 

2 hours ago, the mice said:

Roger, you are the best!  And your helpfulness is so very appreciated. If you can find out the bus times that would be really useful, but no matter what,  you have given me so much info that I am sure I can make a plan that works. Thank you!!!!!  

L204, des de 2022.04.08 (1).pdf

Hi, 

Here are the bus times , let me know how your plan works, Roger 

Edited by roger b
Spelling

On 8/10/2022 at 2:34 PM, roger b said:

My favourite restaurant in Valdemossa  is Troya restaurant  not spanish but good food and the best view from thr terrace

In Palma  near the Cathedral  very Spanish Tapas ,there is Bovida or if you want delicious aisian/ Spanish small plates I would go for Ombu tapas or Born 8 .

Roger

Did you mean Taberna Boveda or La Boveda?  They are near each other. 

8 hours ago, roger b said:

L204, des de 2022.04.08 (1).pdf 472.49 kB · 2 downloads

Hi, 

Here are the bus times , let me know how your plan works, Roger 

Hi , 

Having spent the morning  iin P de Soller and doing the tram ride to Soller .

I now think your way is the the best solution .

So get the shuttle  into the town , walk to the station catch the 10.15 train ,spend a little time in Soller before  getting the tram to P de Soller, and get the bus back to Palma.

It is the 204 and the bus stop is about a 10 min walk from the seafront it is on the 2nd roundabout leaving the town. 

Tickets  can be bought on the tram .

Roger 20220820_122100.thumb.jpg.ce296c8777e6ae20a8a6416d023cbb10.jpg20220820_115419.thumb.jpg.e147305ae2015855162beee8b0cd5759.jpg

Edited by roger b
A bit missing
  • Like 1