Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

22 hours ago, roger b said:

The hop on bus runs all year every day , they will be less frequent  in November but will step up on the day of a cruise ship arrival. 

Thanks so much! There are 8 of us on this cruise and we've not been to any of these stops so we're trying to balance relaxing and enjoying the ports with seeing the sights!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Fiona MG,

Taxi Fare from the port to the train station is 15 eu  and the trains to Soller are running as the per the original timetable ( you have to wear a mask ) .

You do not have to wear a mask in the street only when entering shops or in the taxi .

My Best Recommendation for the restaurant is below Best Tapas I have had and not expensive !! Hope this helps .

https://www.cafesoller.com/

Roger, I have another quick question for you, if you don't mind.

Is there any restriction on occupancy of taxis due to Covid? In other words, would the 4 of us be allowed in one cab or would we have to look at getting two?

Many thanks for your help.

17 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Roger, I have another quick question for you, if you don't mind.

Is there any restriction on occupancy of taxis due to Covid? In other words, would the 4 of us be allowed in one cab or would we have to look at getting two?

Many thanks for your help.

No Problem with 4 in a taxi wearing masks !!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are 3 adults in town from 7a-3p on oct 4 on the NCL Epic ship.. would like to see one of the caves, Cave of ham or Cave of Drach.. which one is better? Can you do both in a timely manner?  Is Porto Cristo worth stopping at? I understand boats in the cave are not operation due to covid..?!

Can we take Bus 412 or Bus 416?  Which one is better?

IF we rent a car from your recommended "arash" agency listed, they have a 20 euro port drop fee.. where is there normal location for car pick up.. cant see it on their website..

Thanks!

17 hours ago, flcruiselovers said:

We are 3 adults in town from 7a-3p on oct 4 on the NCL Epic ship.. would like to see one of the caves, Cave of ham or Cave of Drach.. which one is better? Can you do both in a timely manner?  Is Porto Cristo worth stopping at? I understand boats in the cave are not operation due to covid..?!

Can we take Bus 412 or Bus 416?  Which one is better?

IF we rent a car from your recommended "arash" agency listed, they have a 20 euro port drop fee.. where is there normal location for car pick up.. cant see it on their website..

Thanks!

Hi ,

I advise you rent a car from Arash easy !!pick up and drop off at port, they are located in Portals Nous . 

Ship docks at 7am and caves of Drach don't open until 10am , Go for a coffee in Porto Cristo.

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/porto-cristo/

You can do Caves of Hams as well but a poor relation to C.D, as far as I know the Boat in the cave is still operating .

http://www.cuevasdeldrach.com/en/.

Don't bother with the Bus it will be a hassle, Hope this helps??

• 1 month later...

@roger b, just wanted to say thanks for your help in sorting out our DIY excursion to Soller and Puerto Soller.

We enjoyed the day although we almost didn't make it as there were no taxis at the port when we got off the ship. We waited about 40 minutes for one and just made it to the train station by the skin of our teeth. I guess the taxi people knew how few passengers were on board and reckoned it wasn't worth their while hanging out at the port. We did try to persuade a couple of drivers, who were lurking trying to entice people to do tours, just to take us to the station, but they weren't having it! Hopefully things will gradually get back to normal once Covid is finally behind us.

We had a tasty lunch at the Café Soller, so thanks for that recommendation too.

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2021 at 7:04 PM, vkb2751 said:

We will be in Majorca from 10 to 6 on April 29 on Reflection cruise. We would like to  take train and tram to Soller. Are there any tours that can be booked prior to arriving. Thank you

Hi, You can do it yourself you will not need a guide to get to Soller , unfortunately you arrive too late to catch the morning train as it leaves at 10am.

http://trendesoller.com/en/timetable/.

My suggestion is to get a taxi from the port to Soller around 30 eu  around 30mins

https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Palma-de-Majorca-Spain&from=Ports+de+Balears+%2F+Autoritat+Portuària+de+Balears%2C+Moll+Vell%2C+3%2C+Palma%2C+Balearic+Islands+07012%2C+Spain&to=Sóller%2C+Balearic+Islands%2C+Spain&fromCoord=39.566801,2.644265&toCoord=39.76667,2.7

Take the tram from Soller to Port de Soller Have lunch Get the Tram and the train back to Palma aim to be back in Palma by 4.30 pm should have time to walk down to the Cathedral and get the shuttle bus back to ship !!!

If you need more let me Know 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, roger b said:

Hi, You can do it yourself you will not need a guide to get to Soller , unfortunately you arrive too late to catch the morning train as it leaves at 10am.

http://trendesoller.com/en/timetable/.

My suggestion is to get a taxi from the port to Soller around 30 eu  around 30mins

https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Palma-de-Majorca-Spain&from=Ports+de+Balears+%2F+Autoritat+Portuària+de+Balears%2C+Moll+Vell%2C+3%2C+Palma%2C+Balearic+Islands+07012%2C+Spain&to=Sóller%2C+Balearic+Islands%2C+Spain&fromCoord=39.566801,2.644265&toCoord=39.76667,2.7

Take the tram from Soller to Port de Soller Have lunch Get the Tram and the train back to Palma aim to be back in Palma by 4.30 pm should have time to walk down to the Cathedral and get the shuttle bus back to ship !!!

If you need more let me Know 

thank you, Roger. Appreciate your quick response and help! Do we need to buy train/tram tickets ahead of time? Also, will taxis be available at port?

8 hours ago, vkb2751 said:

thank you, Roger. Appreciate your quick response and help! Do we need to buy train/tram tickets ahead of time? Also, will taxis be available at port?

There will be taxi's as you leave the ship,no problems you can buy your train tickets in Soller or buy them on line at the website above

• 2 months later...

We will be in Palma March 25th from 8a-5p.  Is there time to take the train and tram and get back in time to explore Palma a little bit? Are there taxis available to take us back quicker than the bus from Soller? This is our first time and don't want to really be rushed.  Maybe we should just explore Palma and not take the train to Soller?

13 hours ago, wookie78 said:

We will be in Palma March 25th from 8a-5p.  Is there time to take the train and tram and get back in time to explore Palma a little bit? Are there taxis available to take us back quicker than the bus from Soller? This is our first time and don't want to really be rushed.  Maybe we should just explore Palma and not take the train to Soller?

Edited by roger b
wrote twice

1 minute ago, roger b said:

Hi , You will have plenty of time to get it all in !! as your ship docks early and the train Soller does not start until around 10am ( No times at the moment as they are doing Maintenance ).

You can do my day either way round , Personally I would take a Taxi to Soller to Maximize back in Palma.

Leave Port around 9am Taxi to Soller have a walk around town and coffee in the square .

Get the Tram to Port de Soller ( 15 mins ) have a walk along the seafront not alot to see ,Take a return tram back to Soller.

Where you will get the train back to Palma (1 hr ) everything connects so you should not have any problems . Aim to leave Soller around 2pm there was a train at that time .

This will give you 2.5 hrs in Palma you coming at a good time a there will be few tourists here .

Let me know if you need anything else

On 2/10/2022 at 7:05 PM, wookie78 said:

Maybe we should just explore Palma and not take the train to Soller?

My brother in law is from Soller and I know the town well. It's a pretty train journey over the mountain and Soller is an OK small town, although not one with much to do, once you're there. The tram  ride to the port is also an interesting few minutes (and you'll pass the apartment where my nephew spent his first few years). That said, if it was me, I'd spend the time in Palma. It's a lovely city to just wander around - you'll have time to see the major sites and have a nice lunch at one of the restaurants on the Paseo Maritimo

6 minutes ago, Harters said:

My brother in law is from Soller and I know the town well. It's a pretty train journey over the mountain and Soller is an OK small town, although not one with much to do, once you're there. The tram  ride to the port is also an interesting few minutes (and you'll pass the apartment where my nephew spent his first few years). That said, if it was me, I'd spend the time in Palma. It's a lovely city to just wander around - you'll have time to see the major sites and have a nice lunch at one of the restaurants on the Paseo Maritimo

Whilst I would agree that Palma is a lovely city with plenty to see it can be done in 2/3 hours as it very compact 

As for a nice lunch on the Paseo Maritimo Forget it all are tourist traps .

The Train ride is an experience that is not to be missed it will take you from the flat plane of Palma thought the countryside and mountains to Soller a typical Majorcian Village and just to see the Tram winding through the middle of town is worth it on its own .

If it is your first time in Mallorca I would try to make the most of your day. 

tram.jpeg

35 minutes ago, roger b said:

Whilst I would agree that Palma is a lovely city with plenty to see it can be done in 2/3 hours as it very compact 

As for a nice lunch on the Paseo Maritimo Forget it all are tourist traps .

The Train ride is an experience that is not to be missed it will take you from the flat plane of Palma thought the countryside and mountains to Soller a typical Majorcian Village and just to see the Tram winding through the middle of town is worth it on its own .

If it is your first time in Mallorca I would try to make the most of your day. 

tram.jpeg

Thank you all for the detailed information.  Where would you suggest for lunch?  We prefer to eat where the locals do if those places are close for us to visit.

5 hours ago, wookie78 said:

Thank you all for the detailed information.  Where would you suggest for lunch?  We prefer to eat where the locals do if those places are close for us to visit.

We had a really nice lunch in the place in Soller that @roger b recommended to us back in post #104: cafe soller.

10 hours ago, Harters said:

Unlike the ones in Soller and the Port, then? LOL.

Please could you give me a good restaurant  for lunch on the Paseo Maritmo as I must be missing something, things have changed  here isince covid and there are very few restaurants  open anymore ., even in Palma there are many boarded  up not just for the winter season but for good .